[Q] What does flashing the factory image return my device to

Search This thread

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
if I have already upgraded to kit kat 4.4.2? I take it that since the 4.4.2 OTA hasn't been pushed for my Verizon Dev Ed device, that the factory images I have been given by Motorola are for 4.4.

But once the 4.4.2 OTA is pushed, the factory images I have now would be out of date because those are for 4.4., right? Then will Motorola release 4.4.2 factory images later?

Also, what does it mean when in bootloader mode it says Device is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3. What is the status code 3?

Last edited:

mastarifla

Oct 3, 2010
Dallas, TX
if I have already upgraded to kit kat 4.4.2? I take it that since the 4.4.2 OTA hasn't been pushed for my Verizon Dev Ed device, that the factory images I have been given by Motorola are for 4.4.

But once the 4.4.2 OTA is pushed, the factory images I have now would be out of date because those are for 4.4., right? Then will Motorola release 4.4.2 factory images later?

I have a verizon unlocked dev ed. Also, what does it mean when in bootloader mode it says Devide is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3. What is the status code 3?

It gives you the stock recovery, the stock system image with all the applications, and the ability to update over the air (OTA). People re-flash the factory images either when they think they messed up their phone, or when they want the latest update via OTA instead of waiting for a SBF package. In short, it returns the phone to the default/non modded status.

I am fairly certain that a SBF will be made for 4.4.2, it just is taking a bit longer this time, maybe they are busy, especially since there is no new updates around the corner any time soon. Since you have already updated to 4.4.2 (like myself) there is no way to go back to stock unless you have made a recovery image in TWRP/CWM. Then all you have to do to update, is reflash the stock recovery image and then you can take a system OTA.

The bootloader on this phone cannot be downgraded, due to the eFuse system incorporated into it. If you attempt to load a lower bootloader in RSD Lite, it will simply fail to install and nothing else bad will happen, however, if you force the bootloader overwrite then you have a nice new paperweight (aka hard brick), because this trips the eFuse.

Status code 3 is basically the computer flag telling the future firmware updates that your bootloader has already been unlocked, so if you update using that same carrier/firmware, you don't lose your unlocked bootloader status. Another reason why you need to simply stick with your own firmware. As there have been reports that loading another regions/phones firmware can lock your bootloader again because the flag isn't there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cozume

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
In short, it returns the phone to the default/non modded status.
It restores everything I modded? I erased the clogo.bin file and then I think I flashed with some other bin file to clogo and of course, didn't save a backup. Now I can't get the Kit Kat easter egg when I tap the build version so clearly it has something to do with the clogo file I messed with. I can live without the easter egg, but I don't want to brick my device. So I guess I should just flash the factory images and see what happens.

The bootloader on this phone cannot be downgraded, due to the eFuse system incorporated into it. If you attempt to load a lower bootloader in RSD Lite, it will simply fail to install and nothing else bad will happen, however, if you force the bootloader overwrite then you have a nice new paperweight (aka hard brick), because this trips the eFuse.
and even if your bootloader is unlocked, you have a hard brick and there is no way to correct that?

Status code 3 is basically the computer flag telling the future firmware updates that your bootloader has already been unlocked, so if you update using that same carrier/firmware, you don't lose your unlocked bootloader status. Another reason why you need to simply stick with your own firmware. As there have been reports that loading another regions/phones firmware can lock your bootloader again because the flag isn't there.
If my bootloader were to ever get locked again, can't I use the same 20 digit unlock key that Motorola emailed me to unlock it?

Many thanks again, and sorry I cannot hit the thanks button until tomorrow!

mastarifla

Oct 3, 2010
Dallas, TX
It restores everything I modded? I erased the clogo.bin file and then I think I flashed with some other bin file to clogo and of course, didn't save a backup. Now I can't get the Kit Kat easter egg when I tap the build version so clearly it has something to do with the clogo file I messed with. I can live without the easter egg, but I don't want to brick my device. So I guess I should just flash the factory images and see what happens.

If you are already on 4.4.2 then you can flash the 4.4.2 "factory image" when it is released and it should be fine/back to normal.

and even if your bootloader is unlocked, you have a hard brick and there is no way to correct that?

Correct, all the phones have the same eFuse system, even the developer phones. This "supposedly" prevents people from screwing up their phones more. (Personally I think it's silly, but I also have a Nexus, so it doesn't bother me).

If my bootloader were to ever get locked again, can't I use the same 20 digit unlock key that Motorola emailed me to unlock it?

You should be able to (if you still have your IMEI), however there are reports that some people are losing their IMEI too, if this gets lost and there is no way to recover it then you are out of luck, because in order to unlock the bootloader it has to verify that the code works for your IMEI (which is carrier specific).

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
Correct, all the phones have the same eFuse system, even the developer phones. This "supposedly" prevents people from screwing up their phones more. (Personally I think it's silly, but I also have a Nexus, so it doesn't bother me).
It seems like the eFuse is the cause of people screwing up their phones. I suppose they do these sorts of things to satisfy potential corporate customers who want secure devices for their corporate communications.

You should be able to (if you still have your IMEI), however there are reports that some people are losing their IMEI too, if this gets lost and there is no way to recover it then you are out of luck, because in order to unlock the bootloader it has to verify that the code works for your IMEI (which is carrier specific).
Wow, that is awful but can't an IMEI be restored somehow if you know what it is? I not only have my box, Verizon has all my IMEI's stored on their system.

mastarifla

Oct 3, 2010
Dallas, TX
It seems like the eFuse is the cause of people screwing up their phones. I suppose they do these sorts of things to satisfy potential corporate customers who want secure devices for their corporate communications.

Sadly corporate security is much less of a concern to them and actually something else entirely (see Samsung's encryption protocol for enterprise - SAFE). Motorola doesn't want to bother with supporting people on lower firmwares, and this prevents them from having to worry about it because they will always require you to be on the latest firmware for support, this eFuse system basically prevents people from using exploits in previous versions of the system (aka getting root on a non-unlocked phone, etc).

Wow, that is awful but can't an IMEI be restored somehow if you know what it is? I not only have my box, Verizon has all my IMEI's stored on their system.

If you have your EFS files backed up then you are okay, you can just restore it and you are good to go again. However, the IMEI is a secure file, so you cant make a new one if its gone (nor can your cell company), this system in effect prevents people stealing phones and changing the IMEI in order to not be blacklisted. This system is in place for a very good reason, while not perfect (try selling a used phone to someone who understands this), its the best deterrent against theft currently available.

Last edited:

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
If you have your ESF files backed up then you are okay, you can just restore it and you are good to go again.
If I do a nandroid backup does it back those files up? if not, what can I use to back them up?

Also, I will have to come back tomorrow and the next day to hit the thanks button because I will use up all my thanks again tomorrow on you, lol!

mastarifla

Oct 3, 2010
Dallas, TX
If I do a nandroid backup does it back those files up? if not, what can I use to back them up?

Also, I will have to come back tomorrow and the next day to hit the thanks button because I will use up all my thanks again tomorrow on you, lol!

There are tools available to backup your EFS partition in case a nandroid doesn't work correctly. Some CWM/TWRP versions do EFS partition backups, some don't, be sure to read through the threads and make sure. Asking a question goes a long way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have a verizon unlocked dev ed. Also, what does it mean when in bootloader mode it says Devide is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3. What is the status code 3?

It gives you the stock recovery, the stock system image with all the applications, and the ability to update over the air (OTA). People re-flash the factory images either when they think they messed up their phone, or when they want the latest update via OTA instead of waiting for a SBF package. In short, it returns the phone to the default/non modded status.

I am fairly certain that a SBF will be made for 4.4.2, it just is taking a bit longer this time, maybe they are busy, especially since there is no new updates around the corner any time soon. Since you have already updated to 4.4.2 (like myself) there is no way to go back to stock unless you have made a recovery image in TWRP/CWM. Then all you have to do to update, is reflash the stock recovery image and then you can take a system OTA.

If you are already on 4.4.2 then you can flash the 4.4.2 "factory image" when it is released and it should be fine/back to normal.

Sadly corporate security is much less of a concern to them and actually something else entirely (see Samsung's encryption protocol for enterprise - SAFE). Motorola doesn't want to bother with supporting people on lower firmwares, and this prevents them from having to worry about it because they will always require you to be on the latest firmware for support, this eFuse system basically prevents people from using exploits in previous versions of the system (aka getting root on a non-unlocked phone, etc).

If you have your EFS files backed up then you are okay, you can just restore it and you are good to go again. However, the IMEI is a secure file, so you cant make a new one if its gone (nor can your cell company), this system in effect prevents people stealing phones and changing the IMEI in order to not be blacklisted. This system is in place for a very good reason, while not perfect (try selling a used phone to someone who understands this), its the best deterrent against theft currently available.

There are tools available to backup your EFS partition in case a nandroid doesn't work correctly. Some CWM/TWRP versions do EFS partition backups, some don't, be sure to read through the threads and make sure. Asking a question goes a long way.