[ROM-FIX] CM 6.xx, Ruby 1.1.1 and Shadowrom Radio and Wifi - Drops and Reboots Fix

Search This thread

dnoyeb

Nov 15, 2007
Auburn, AL
Latest Cyanogenmod nightly number 97 (10/3/2010) has the new ril baked in. No need to use this patch if you are running it or a newer one.

Back Story
Long story short, the Chinese group Miui mananged to get / build (not really sure) a new Radio Interface Layer for our HTC devices... I pulled this file out of the Nexus one build that they released and it works perfectly. Link to the Nexus1 version

Over in the Nexus one forum a few people have questioned where this Chinese group got some of the files they're using, as they're really bleeding edge (at least thats what they say in the N1 forum). This newer / different RIL file seems to fix the issues we're facing with random phantom reboots while wifi is on. Also included in this is the issue where the signal bars show an "x" for a second or two after connecting to a wifi hotspot. Also fixed are issues where the radio signal drops before / after receiving a call that plagues AOSP builds (ruby and CM for sure).

Cyanogenmod 6.xx
This works on the 6.xx versions as well as the Nightlies.
NOTICE: As of Oct 2nd this has been "committed" so I assume the nightly that comes out this evening will have the fix built in. Check it out

Latest nightly number 97 has the new ril baked in. No need to use this patch.

Ruby 1.1.1
This works for Ruby. If you are wanting the BT Media Streaming audio fix as well, please see this thread. They are two separate installs.

Shadowrom
It has been confirmed that this also works for Shadowrom.

Bugs
I honestly don't know of any yet... but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Only a handful of us have been testing this thing out on the inc so far. Figured more people might want to check it out.

Credit
I take no credit for the fix. The Miui group built/got it(not sure which), I simply happened to be playing around with some files and noticed the side effects. Thanks again to Jermaine for letting me know more about the rom (and the fact that they weren't plagued by our reboot issues) in the first place so I could start digging...
Of course thanks go out to the entire ruby and cyanogenmod teams, without them we wouldn't have these fun roms. Lastly, IncredibleDoes for doing the Inc port of miui that opened our eyes to it.

Installation
- Download the file and place it on your SD card.
- Load up Rom Manager and hit "Install rom from SD card," select the file.
- I'd probably make a nandroid backup if you haven't recently just in case... no wipe has been needed.

Disclaimer
If this messes up your phone, not my fault ;) Was tested by about 30 people so far, and no issues that we've seen. Please make a nandoid backup just in case.
THIS IS FOR AOSP roms listed above ONLY. Please do NOT install it on any sense based roms.

Downloads
see below

Latest Cyanogenmod nightly number 97 (10/3/2010) has the new ril baked in. No need to use this patch if you are running it or a newer nightly .

Attachments

• CM-Radiofix5-Signed.zip
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,054
Last edited:

larsrya8

Mar 14, 2010
Not that I can tell... so far the mere fact that the wifi isn't causing reboots anymore is the main reason I'm putting this out there...

anything else is just gravy.
Fixing the WiFi reboots would be great. Though, strangely, I'm at 110 hours uptime with the WiFi on... I guess it'll take a while to verify this fix works.

dnoyeb

Nov 15, 2007
Auburn, AL
Fixing the WiFi reboots would be great. Though, strangely, I'm at 110 hours uptime with the WiFi on... I guess it'll take a while to verify this fix works.

sounds good. in all reality the one person who can really verify is koush... sending him the idea as well...

(wish I could make it 110 hours! hah... at my office i'm lucky if I get more than 3 hours) so today will be a major test of it. so far so good.

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
sounds good. in all reality the one person who can really verify is koush... sending him the idea as well...

(wish I could make it 110 hours! hah... at my office i'm lucky if I get more than 3 hours) so today will be a major test of it. so far so good.

Good job! I hope that solves it since we've determined the kernels don't.

S

sandyjohnson

I'll try out the ruby one!

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Alundre

Dec 19, 2007
I'd be more than happy to help test either CM or Ruby (Ruby preferred). Just PM me the info!

ncwildcat

Feb 2, 2009
Installed the fix on Ruby 1.1.1. Running stock Ruby Kernal (This kernal has been the best overall performance Kernal for me on Ruby). Will report back results

camalus

Sep 14, 2009
I've installed the file you sent me... and holy crap. It seems to work. Really hope this does it or at least puts koush in the right direction.

dnoyeb

Nov 15, 2007
Auburn, AL
Installed the fix on Ruby 1.1.1. Running stock Ruby Kernal (This kernal has been the best overall performance Kernal for me on Ruby). Will report back results

I am very interested to see the results on the stock one... I forget, does the stock kernel have working wifi tether?

I am packing up a BT-Fix for Ruby right now but will keep it separate, to not complicate things.

I've installed the file you sent me... and holy crap. It seems to work. Really hope this does it or at least puts koush in the right direction.

You and me both man... if most testers go a good 24 hours with no wifi caused reboots / drops etc, maybe he'll look at it...

Keep us informed of the progress! thanks for testing.

camalus

Sep 14, 2009
Just in case you are curious.. I'm running koush test 2 kernel. No setcpu installed.

ncwildcat

Feb 2, 2009
I have had good luck with wifi teather on the stock kernal...didn't work on any of the king kernals.

Sent from my personal space

nfiniti9

Aug 29, 2010
I really dont believe its the wifi. Its when the 3g turns on or off when the issues happen, which is when you leave or enter a wifi area. I turned 3g off and didnt use it for 2 days with wifi on the whole time with no reboots. I've have the lockup with just 3g on as others have noted. Also I believe that the lockups and the reboots are a separate issue. I have yet to see where any dev said it was the wifi directly, and with the known issues of 3g+froyo it points to 3g not wifi.

So, if you turn wifi off and are in a good 3g area then you will unlikely lose 3g much if at all, but if you have signal issues then the reboots still exist.

If we are going to find out what the problem is we need to setup test groups.

1 - no wifi, no 3g
2 - no wifi, 3g on
3 - wifi on, no 3g
4 - wifi on, 3g on

Make sure everyone is using the same rom/radio.

Last edited:

ardax

Jul 22, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So, if you turn wifi off and are in a good 3g area then you will unlikely lose 3g much if at all, but if you have signal issues then the reboots still exist.
That's a possibility, but I think I'm in a good 3G area, and the majority of my movements are in a pretty small geographic area. I'll get reboots when my phone is just sitting on a table or in my pocket though in an area w/ strong signal.

Make sure everyone is using the same rom/radio.
I think what we'd really need is for the testers to check all 4 combinations. There's too much geographic variance to have a bunch of different people testing these combinations unless some lived very close to each other.