I Love this phone but....

Search This thread

stone_phalanges

Aug 11, 2010
I know we all love this phone, it is awesome. Super Fast, Super intuitive stock android, Super pretty, but lets be honest What's the one issue that Makes you want to get rid of the phone and never look back.

I didn't know how important a microsd card was to me until I used this phone. I used to have my entire music collection on my GS4 and while I still have online access to everything, I really miss not having to use up all my data and really being able to listen to anything anytime anywhere. Also pinning music for offline use through Google music sucks when you have thousands upon thousands of tracks and might forget what you have and haven't saved for offline play.

What's your issue that made you rethink your purchase for a slit second.

Last edited:

NaterTots

Feb 7, 2012
CT
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 7T
I knew there was no sd card going in and embraced it. I think it's easier to keep track of what's on storage and I obviously bought a 32 GB.

No complaints with the phone here. Well except I would have bought a red one. ;)

Oh, ibl

Complaining isn't going to help.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Rarscaryfrosty

Jul 30, 2011
For the average user, most phone companies now are not including an SD card on pretty much all of their phones (except samsung.) With cloud storage and high speed internet available at your finger tips, just stream it all. Google will let you store like 20,000 songs free and stream them. It may be a strain on your data plan, but if you're at home or the office, just use wifi.

The point of the fact is, if 16GB isn't enough, they make you buy the 32GB phone. If that still isn't enough for you, they recommend you use their services and apps to fill in the gap.

Reactions: frei-style

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
For me it's not having USB audio on stock.

Many people have no idea what this means, and even if they did it wouldn't matter to them, but to music quality snobs such as myself, it really irks me.

Especially because iphones have usb audio.

Cyanogen and probably some other roms support usb audio so it is possible to get with this phone

But I really feel this should be on stock android, and on every single phone.

pwrmedia

Aug 5, 2009
Columbus
For the average user, most phone companies now are not including an SD card on pretty much all of their phones (except samsung.) With cloud storage and high speed internet available at your finger tips, just stream it all. Google will let you store like 20,000 songs free and stream them. It may be a strain on your data plan, but if you're at home or the office, just use wifi.

The point of the fact is, if 16GB isn't enough, they make you buy the 32GB phone. If that still isn't enough for you, they recommend you use their services and apps to fill in the gap.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^

To the OP, may I offer a suggestion:

Use a large portion of your internal storage to store the albums/tracks you listen to w/ the most frequency, and leave the online storage for the remainder. Obviously you can swap between the two whenever you'd like, but seems like it would make the most sense given the fact that you still decided to go w/ a N5.

May not serve your "any track, any time, anywhere" purpose fully, but will save you data and still allow you quick access to a good portion of your media.

Reactions: DigitalUnderground

kronflux

Jun 6, 2012
Edmonton
Samsung Galaxy S7
Google Pixel 2
I have to say, the limitation on storage does not bother me in the slightest. Sure it would be -nice- to be able to expand the storage, but in this day and age, data is getting cheaper and cheaper, and services that stream media are getting better and easier to use.
Why do we need more storage? how many apps are you truly going to install? how much music do you really need to take with you at all times?

personally, I have a network attached storage, which does owncloud. Through this, and the owncloud app, I stream all of my media to my phone wherever I am.
One could also use a service such as dropbox, or even just listen to online radio streams or even watch netflix for movies.

"The Cloud" is all the rage these days, and it's getting more and more cost effective to use such services. So really, why do we need an SD slot? why do we need additional storage?

EnIXmA

Feb 16, 2012
Mississauga, on
I have a 128 GB USB drive attached to my key chain, and a USB otg cable in my wallet all the time... No need for an sd card here... Just wish there was an i r blaster

Sent from my One using XDA Premium HD app

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
Houston, because I have a problem
I have a 128 GB USB drive attached to my key chain, and a USB otg cable in my wallet all the time... No need for an sd card here... Just wish there was an i r blaster

Sent from my One using XDA Premium HD app

That'll do it right there.

I was preaching this a year ago when people were bagging in the HTC One and no SDcard slot. LOL

I have the 16 gig and no issue.... well it's because I have Sprint and have decent service in Houston so pulling anything from/to the cloud is a no worries situation for me!!

stone_phalanges

Aug 11, 2010
title edit

I have edited the title because I think I am giving people the wrong impression. The point I was making is that even though somthing is awesome, because we are all individuals and this is a mass market device there are bound to be things about the phone that erk us, maybe its only an issue to you. I didn't intend this to be an sd card complaint thread, Just a chance for everyone to vent their idiosyncrasies.

OuncE718

Feb 27, 2010
DC by way of BK
I definitely love this phone. I came from the Note 3 and do not miss that phone one bit although it wasn't a bad phone either. I have more than enough gigabytes (32gb) and if I felt that 32gb wasn't enough then I would of stuck with the Note 3 (which has expandable memory) or bought a phone that offered expandable memory.

I do not agree with streaming from the cloud as alternative unless you have a true unlimited 4g/LTE plan. Also I would hate to walk around with USB OTG as an option. OP next time get a phone with expandable memory or hope they make the N6 in a 64gb version.

sent from my neXus 5

Reactions: 3DSammy

eyeconic

Jul 8, 2012
I have a very large music collection. All of the tracks are in a mySQL database. I made a little bash script that randomly selects about 8gb at a time and copies the tracks to the phone. I am more than satisfied.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What's your issue that made you rethink your purchase for a slit second.
    nothing
    For me it's not having USB audio on stock.

Many people have no idea what this means, and even if they did it wouldn't matter to them, but to music quality snobs such as myself, it really irks me.

Especially because iphones have usb audio.

Cyanogen and probably some other roms support usb audio so it is possible to get with this phone

But I really feel this should be on stock android, and on every single phone.
    I knew there was no sd card going in and embraced it. I think it's easier to keep track of what's on storage and I obviously bought a 32 GB.

No complaints with the phone here. Well except I would have bought a red one. ;)

Oh, ibl

Complaining isn't going to help.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I hate the headphone jack at the top.

Whatchu talking bout willis!
    Don't get me wrong but I love when people say "Why do you need this if you have super duper Internet speeds st your finger tips?". Clearly you don't know how things are on some/most of the countries. Let's say Portugal, where I live. Here we would pay €30 a month to have unlimited calls to the same network, still pay for calls to other networks and only have 1GB of Internet traffic. Now, tell me, how would we be able to listen to music by streaming it?

Unfortunately, cheap 3G/LTE is only a reality in some countries.