GPU Overclock possibility

Search This thread

rps13

Oct 28, 2009
Right so I posted this in both the kernel thread and the overclock thread but nobody saw it so I'll just post it again:

While looking at the vogue forum, I found a thread about GPU overclocking : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=697673 the changes made to the kernel to enable this are the following: http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/...ff;h=23ff83048726252bc785699fc749a3e364a3bdb0

Unfortunately I am no programmer and I do not see how to incorporate this code in to kernel sources for MSM7xxxA processors, though it should probably work because the gpus of A and non-A processors are pretty much the same (same basic specs such as number of triangles etc.), so if a kernel dev. could try to integrate this patch, that would be awesome. :)

rps13

Oct 28, 2009
Thanks kingklick, hopefully you'll figure it out so we can run newer 3D games better, as for overheating, dzo (who created this modification) says that he hasn't noticed anything differences in temperature after overclocking the GPU on the Vogue

godfatherd

Nov 11, 2009
It will be cool if someone can overclock the GPU , these days everybody is talking about overclocking the cpu , but what allot of people do when they are traveling is playing games, some games we cant play because they are a little bit to heavy for the GPU. Kingklick thanks for looking at this topic,
personally I have really much confidence in you!

Last edited:

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
For this to work.

Someone has to implement this for MSM72XX, which is completely different than what's in the TI phones.

I am not sure if that code is even in the kernel (GPU clock). I don't recall seeing it but I haven't really looked at the kernel all that much.

It's all in the board files if it's anywhere.

/arch/arm/mach-msm/

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
Are you sure it's safe to OC the GPU?
It's not like we're using a adreno or Power VR in these phones. Also doesn't android use the CPU for things like scrolling,animations,swiping,etc...

rps13

Oct 28, 2009
For this to work.

Someone has to implement this for MSM72XX, which is completely different than what's in the TI phones.

I am not sure if that code is even in the kernel (GPU clock). I don't recall seeing it but I haven't really looked at the kernel all that much.

It's all in the board files if it's anywhere.

/arch/arm/mach-msm/

Um, the HTC Vogue (or Touch CDMA) AFAIK uses the Qualcomm MSM7500 which pretty much has the same GPU, just clocked slower than in the MSM7XXXA series, so I think it's just a case of recoding the modifications made by dzo (android kernel developer for the Vogue) for other phones.

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
The GPU code for the MSM chips is in /drivers/video/msm/gpu/kgsl/

I haven't looked at any of the code much, but kgsl.h defines some structs for what I think are clock values and in kgsl.c it contains:

Code:
/* the hw and clk enable/disable funcs must be either called from softirq or
 * with mutex held */
static void kgsl_clk_enable(void)
{
	clk_set_rate(kgsl_driver.ebi1_clk, 128000000);
	clk_enable(kgsl_driver.imem_clk);
	clk_enable(kgsl_driver.grp_clk);
}

Which to me looks a lot like its setting the GPU clock at 128Mhz.

Just my $.02

ivanmmj

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2007
The GPU code for the MSM chips is in /drivers/video/msm/gpu/kgsl/

I haven't looked at any of the code much, but kgsl.h defines some structs for what I think are clock values and in kgsl.c it contains:

Code:
/* the hw and clk enable/disable funcs must be either called from softirq or
 * with mutex held */
static void kgsl_clk_enable(void)
{
	clk_set_rate(kgsl_driver.ebi1_clk, 128000000);
	clk_enable(kgsl_driver.imem_clk);
	clk_enable(kgsl_driver.grp_clk);
}

Which to me looks a lot like its setting the GPU clock at 128Mhz.

Just my $.02

I modified this on the Eris's kernel to 160000000 and ended up with slower benchmark scores in both Neocore and Quadrant. So... possibly not that.

mejorguille

Dec 14, 2009
Florida
If overclocking the GPU is anything similar to the CPU, then shouldn't we be using multiples of 19.2? instead of 128, try 147.2 or 176.4 etc....

houseonfire

Aug 28, 2009
If messing with it caused the phone to go slower, then it must be possible to mess with it to make it go faster.

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
Owning both a Kaiser and a G1, the Kaisers 3D is actually faster. A lot of apps render quicker and smoother. Games play better too.

Would be nice if someone could pick this up, and get some over clocking action going for the GPU. Even without the overclock, my Kaisers GPU seems so much faster, but yet it's a weaker GPU then what my G1 has.