[Q] How to S-OFF HTC Legend with HBOOT 1.01?

Search This thread

brb8two

Jan 23, 2012
Adelaide
I've search around online about this but I don't know if the information is out dated.

I've looked at AlphaRev and "Revolutionary" both indicate it's not supported at this time.

I've got ROOT & a custom ROM, but S-OFF would make things so much easier.

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
Don't worry about s-off hboot 1.01 can't be done unless you use xtclip.
Go and look at the threads about hboot 1.02 that's the free way to unlock bootloader, this is almost the same as s-off.

sent from my legend, currently using zeubea ics beta 2.4 :-D

brb8two

Jan 23, 2012
Adelaide
I think that HTC now support this with an updated boot loader.

I checked: www htcdev com / bootloader
and the HTC Legend is now listed.

Unfortunately I'll need to Unroot first.

Has anyone tried this successfully?

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
No you do not need to unroot your phone, look for a post by blay0, tells u exactly what to do.

brb8two

Jan 23, 2012
Adelaide
If this is the Quote you are referring to, it makes much more sense now.

And guys, you don't need to complicate that much with all that flashing back and forth. It works with any custom ROM rooted or not, you just need to make the right approach. You don't even need to remove the battery. The only requirements are account on HTCdev, bootloader RUU and operational adb/fastboot environment. And NO, you will not loose the root.

So here are the steps:
  1. do a nandroid (at least data partition)
  2. download the bootloader RUU from HTCdev and run it
  3. search for rom.zip in your profile directory (it was extracted from RUU after you had run it)
  4. connect the phone to your computer
  5. copy that rom.zip to phone's sdcard renaming it to LEGEIMG.zip (mind the case)
  6. reboot to bootloader from command prompt (adb reboot bootloader)
  7. current bootloader should find the LEGEIMG.zip and ask you to upgrade bootloader
  8. after upgrade is done switch to fastboot (use up/down and power buttons)
  9. reboot bootloader from command prompt (fastboot reboot-bootloader)
  10. at this point you end up in new bootloader which is still locked
  11. follow the instructions on HTCdev from Step 8 to unlock

After that you need to boot into recovery, restore data partition and you're back in the saddle.

Reactions: jahadmajeed

brb8two

Jan 23, 2012
Adelaide
Crap, I stuffed up...

My Nandroid Backup Failed (probably out of space).

now I have to re-configure my phone from scratch...

ranger4740

Jan 17, 2011
Melbourne
Yeah that's exactly the post I was talking about :thumbup:
I always find it a good idea to keep a copy of the nandroid on my PC too, the original is located on the SD card under /clockworkmod/backup/"backup name"

Reactions: brb8two

brb8two

Jan 23, 2012
Adelaide
If anyone finds this thread instead of the original discussion from Feb.

I successfully unlocked my bootloader which allows writing to system from a booted Rom instead of just from clockwork recovery or fastboot / adb.

key items,
you need to compete HTC's procedure excluding step 14(re locking)
if your on a custom Rom, make a android backup
follow BlaY0 instructions as a workaround of HTC's update program.

now i tested with Adaway successfully.

as for my data partition, i might have an old copy backed up but this might be a good excuse to partition my sd card so i can install more apps. I've heard 512MB would be a good size for my 4GB card.

(I have a 8GB card but my legend informs me that it has been ejected when the camera app tried to write a photo. where i had used that card in Nokia phones for years. anyone with a legend knows how physically unpractical that is without the battery being disconnected.)

brb8two

Jan 23, 2012
Adelaide
Unlocked bootloader gives write access to the system partition which s-on would protect if it was mounted read only.

S-off disables the protection feature including being able to unlock your phone from your service provider ( if it happens to be).

I just needed write access to system to make updates easier (adaway, ad-hoc enabler, etc)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA

Traniz

Mar 18, 2011
Unlocked bootloader gives write access to the system partition which s-on would protect if it was mounted read only.

S-off disables the protection feature including being able to unlock your phone from your service provider ( if it happens to be).

I just needed write access to system to make updates easier (adaway, ad-hoc enabler, etc)

That's good news then since the reason I wanted S-OFF is so I can install stuff or remove stuff from the ROM I am currently using without manually removing and installing the apps onto a ROM from my PC then install it on the phone.

I'm now using S-ON Unlocked and AdAway didn't crash so it's working for me now.
The sole reason I wanted to root now works.
2 years wait but finally it works, I can now store my alarms, ringtones on the phone and don't have to worry about using USB diskdrive without losing the ringtones since the SD card is in use.

Last edited:

Fragda

Apr 24, 2012
What guide did you use to unlock your bootloader? Was it complicated? And does having a custom rom (CM9 Beta) matter when unlocking it.

Stevemotto

Dec 21, 2011
Sydney
What guide did you use to unlock your bootloader? Was it complicated? And does having a custom rom (CM9 Beta) matter when unlocking it.

First of all the rom you choose to flash has nothing to do with unlocking bootloader (not sure what you meant there). I've rooted my phone a year ago so the boot locker method wasn't available then but I can tell you the previous method was a lot more tedious and took a few days to figure it out. The boot loader guides are already posted in this forum section so check it asap

Sent from my Legend using xda premium

Reactions: Fragda

brb8two

Jan 23, 2012
Adelaide

Custom Rom is fine, you just need to read this whole thread ( much shorter than others) for an outline of the procedure.
Check your backup is successful before completing our you may not restore your phone back to the way it was.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this is the Quote you are referring to, it makes much more sense now.

And guys, you don't need to complicate that much with all that flashing back and forth. It works with any custom ROM rooted or not, you just need to make the right approach. You don't even need to remove the battery. The only requirements are account on HTCdev, bootloader RUU and operational adb/fastboot environment. And NO, you will not loose the root.

So here are the steps:
    1. do a nandroid (at least data partition)
    2. download the bootloader RUU from HTCdev and run it
    3. search for rom.zip in your profile directory (it was extracted from RUU after you had run it)
    4. connect the phone to your computer
    5. copy that rom.zip to phone's sdcard renaming it to LEGEIMG.zip (mind the case)
    6. reboot to bootloader from command prompt (adb reboot bootloader)
    7. current bootloader should find the LEGEIMG.zip and ask you to upgrade bootloader
    8. after upgrade is done switch to fastboot (use up/down and power buttons)
    9. reboot bootloader from command prompt (fastboot reboot-bootloader)
    10. at this point you end up in new bootloader which is still locked
    11. follow the instructions on HTCdev from Step 8 to unlock

After that you need to boot into recovery, restore data partition and you're back in the saddle.
    Yeah that's exactly the post I was talking about :thumbup:
    I always find it a good idea to keep a copy of the nandroid on my PC too, the original is located on the SD card under /clockworkmod/backup/"backup name"

First of all the rom you choose to flash has nothing to do with unlocking bootloader (not sure what you meant there). I've rooted my phone a year ago so the boot locker method wasn't available then but I can tell you the previous method was a lot more tedious and took a few days to figure it out. The boot loader guides are already posted in this forum section so check it asap

Sent from my Legend using xda premium