Anyone noticed the Kaiser's front camera bug ??

Search This thread

UnicornKaz

May 5, 2007
Southern Ontario
In terms of left=left and right=right ..

the main/back camera works as expected ..but when it comes to the secondary/front camera, here's what my result is:

normal mode is actually "flipped/mirror"..meaning if you raised your left hand -->> picture actually shows right hand ..etc

and when switching to "flip" mode ... it acts accordingly ... left = left and right = right..but only when you have the device sideway to landscape ... if you hold it normally .. picture is upside down ..etc

Better yet, ... write out a word and view it with the front camera in both modes & you will get a clearer explanation of what I was trying to explain above :p

This is coming from "desktop webcam" point of perspective .... because with webcam, what you "noted" will read out normally ...

Imagine "video conferencing" and things do not read the "correct way"

or taking self portrait and the message is backward ... :eek:

what's up with that ?? :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

UnicornKaz

May 5, 2007
Southern Ontario
almost 200 views ... yet, nobody has confirmed this bug ??

I'll take from the silence that we are all experiencing the same thing then !! :confused: :eek:

holler if you found a solution ;)

RemE

Jan 2, 2007
SoCal
I don't know, a face is a face. I just checked this bug out using the camera app, Very Interesting!;

I set it to Camera2, my face was a mirror image, I held a text card and yes the text was reversed.

I set it to Camera2 Flipped, my face was "normal", text was readable.

Here's what's ODD, in the Camera2 setting, if I "barrel rolled" rotated the camera 360 degrees while watching the monitor, My face was always upright!

If I set it to "Camera2 Flip" and rotated the camera, my image rotates upside down as the camera rotates.

That's different!

xeno1

May 8, 2007
St. Louis
Hmm, just saw this and tried it. At first when I went to the camera options there were only the options main camera and 2nd camera (flip) so I hit that one and everything was reversed then I hit the camera button again and the option for 2nd camera without the (flip) was there and that one works the way it's supposed to.

UnicornKaz

May 5, 2007
Southern Ontario
basically what I'm saying is ...

If you ever have a video conference and the need for written words happen .. things are going to be all backward ..etc .. other then that ... the video is mirror in "normal mode"

and when it's in "flip mode" ... you're upside down at all times except when the unit is landscape position.

The camera should acted the same as your desktop webcam though ... where written message are seen as they should be seen ... the normal "readable" way !!!

:confused: :confused: :mad:

PhilipL

Jun 2, 2007
Hi

This is how you see it of course at your end. A mirror image is normally more natural to look out when you are watching your image as a preview as we are used to seeing ourselves as a mirror image.

What is being sent to the person the other end, it probably isn't a mirror image but as you would expect. My webcam works in exactly this way, I can choose the type of preview image I see but this doesn't alter what the recipient sees.

Regards

Phil

navigater

Dec 6, 2006
Totally right. I don't think this is a bug.
Hi

This is how you see it of course at your end. A mirror image is normally more natural to look out when you are watching your image as a preview as we are used to seeing ourselves as a mirror image.

What is being sent to the person the other end, it probably isn't a mirror image but as you would expect. My webcam works in exactly this way, I can choose the type of preview image I see but this doesn't alter what the recipient sees.

Regards

Phil

rcperez

Apr 24, 2007
In terms of left=left and right=right ..

the main/back camera works as expected ..but when it comes to the secondary/front camera, here's what my result is:

normal mode is actually "flipped/mirror"..meaning if you raised your left hand -->> picture actually shows right hand ..etc

and when switching to "flip" mode ... it acts accordingly ... left = left and right = right..but only when you have the device sideway to landscape ... if you hold it normally .. picture is upside down ..etc

Better yet, ... write out a word and view it with the front camera in both modes & you will get a clearer explanation of what I was trying to explain above :p

This is coming from "desktop webcam" point of perspective .... because with webcam, what you "noted" will read out normally ...

Imagine "video conferencing" and things do not read the "correct way"

or taking self portrait and the message is backward ... :eek:

what's up with that ?? :confused: :confused:

Just click on the camera ICON, you will toggle from back, front(mirror), front(normal) and all your confusions will go away.

this_is_my_username

Mar 26, 2009
CT
Unrelated yet related question...

Curious about a security app that possibly exists/could be written involving the front camera option. Is there any way that, unbeknowst to the "user", the front camera could capture their image and automatically e-mail it to the address that is associated with the phone's owner's personal information? Should someone, other than the true owner, pick up the phone and attempt to login, perhaps after the second failed password entry, this app could engage. [If it's just the true owner being forgetful, then they get an e-mail of themselves looking silly.] If the device is stolen, then the true owner at least has something to go on.

Better still, have the app automatically run as the last thing the device does before a soft-reset. If stolen, I have to imagine that the first thing the thief would do is reset the device. [Again, if it's the owner performing the re-set, no harm done]

Further - Have the GPS send along the location of the device at the moment the picture is taken.

Last edited: