[AUSTRALIAN THREAD] Galaxy S II 4G LTE (I9210T) help/root/updates etc

Search This thread

roosta

Oct 26, 2010
Melbourne
mods please relocate this post if in wrong area; could not find SGS2 4G forum. If not, please delete this comment!

Hey guys,

I'm hoping we can try keeping this thread for those who have the I9210 SGS2 phone, which is really only going to be the I9210T (Telstra) model which is 4G compatable; has a bigger screen; a better processor and NFC chip. I'm excited getting stuck into this device; have not had much of a play with it yet.

GSMarena Specs, user comments and pics here:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_lte_i9210-4124.php

For the latest FIRMWARES or info on UNLOCKING device:

Causing a fuss helps; I managed to get this phone today on $59 CAP without paying the MRO $5 per mth and also had over $250 of previous contract termination fees fully waived; so think i have done well there.

Right now I just want to root this phone safely and where possible, get unbranded firmware (i hate all of telstra's locked apps) whilst maintaining all of Tesltra's functionalities with this phone and modem, so that i don't notice any difference in 4G access speeds...

If you have any useful tips, tricks, videos, manuals (etc), link or post them and I'll see if i can add them to this post. If you respond to this thread confirming you have the same phone in Australia and on the Telstra network, i'll add your details here:

SGS2 4G LTE I9210T owners:
roosta
lunchbox201
xrobau
bwp85
ecips
Nutterpc
Joel006
AcidDrops

Last edited:
Reactions: bwp85

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas
This device has a Snapdragon and the GT-I9100 has an Exynos, so they are 2 completely different devices.

I don't believe XDA has a forum for this device, so I moved it to Android General.

Thanks

lunchbox201

Jan 1, 2011
Rockhampton
Hey Roosta,

There is a few of us out here now who have this phone. Myself, i got mine the first day it was released.

Rooting instructions can be found here:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1022750

A few people have complained about the bottom buttons not working after rooting. I did not have this issue. The instructions i followed (which was prior to the release of the OCAU instructions above) were for the ATT Skyrocket. Link here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1340526

Reactions: jesseQ

roosta

Oct 26, 2010
Melbourne
Hey Roosta,

There is a few of us out here now who have this phone. Myself, i got mine the first day it was released.

A few people have complained about the bottom buttons not working after rooting. I did not have this issue. The instructions i followed (which was prior to the release of the OCAU instructions above) were for the ATT Skyrocket. Link here:

Thanks lunchbox, but with the success rate very low from those users who have tried ROOT, i am a bit hesitant trying out the method; especially with MULTIPLE people losing 2 of the 3 front phone buttons.

So you have used the American version and instructons STEP FOR STEP to root the I9210T Aussie stock phone with their files, and it worked no problems?

Anyone else tried and can they share their choice of guide and/or files where the result was a SUCCESS for the aussie stocked version of this phone?

Reactions: jesseQ

lunchbox201

Jan 1, 2011
Rockhampton
Hey guys,

Thought you'd wanna know i have been playing with the T989 ROMS.

Just installed the SlickMOD supreme 3.5 and it worked.

Link here to ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1596790

Take note of instructions. Also the bottom buttons didn't work until after a reboot or two.

DO A NANDROID BACKUP. SAVED MY BUTT MANY TIMES!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Thanks lunchbox, but with the success rate very low from those users who have tried ROOT, i am a bit hesitant trying out the method; especially with MULTIPLE people losing 2 of the 3 front phone buttons.

So you have used the American version and instructons STEP FOR STEP to root the I9210T Aussie stock phone with their files, and it worked no problems?

Anyone else tried and can they share their choice of guide and/or files where the result was a SUCCESS for the aussie stocked version of this phone?

My steps were to install the CWM recovery file supplied from the AT&T thread through Odin. Once phone restarted i went to the market and downloaded the SU file and busybox from there. Thats all i did and it worked without any problems.

Reactions: roosta

roosta

Oct 26, 2010
Melbourne
Hey guys. quick update. I managed to get my phone replaced by Telstra putting the "buttons not working" issue described and linked-to above, as i bit the bullet, had a go and couldn't get the same outcome as xrobau or lunchbox. I recommend anyone with SGS2 4G does not attempt root until we have a 100% fullproof method working for all who follow a tutorial step for step, OR until ICS is released.

nisbne

May 30, 2010
Brisbane
hey guys, i also have just got one of these phones, coming from HTC were the support for roms and stuff is massive, im looking to support how ever i can get things rolling here.

:)

ecips

Dec 31, 2006
Perth
Theme for Stock Telstra ROM

Hi Guys,

I have knocked up a theme for the stock Telstra ROM.

It includes the lidroid 14 button mod, a modified Google Play and some general ICSifying of the ROM.

Still very much a work in progress (eg, fix colour of clock in status bar), however I though I would get it out there!

Cheers,

Gary

ss1.png

ss2.png

ss3.png

You can grab the CWM flashable zip file here:

http://www.spice.net.au/GT-I9210T/Telstra_GT-I9210I_Ecips_Theme.zip

ss1.png

Reactions: lunchbox201

lunchbox201

Jan 1, 2011
Rockhampton
Hi Guys,

I have knocked up a theme for the stock Telstra ROM.

It includes the lidroid 14 button mod, a modified Google Play and some general ICSifying of the ROM.

Still very much a work in progress (eg, fix colour of clock in status bar), however I though I would get it out there!

Cheers,

Gary

You can grab the CWM flashable zip file here:

http://www.spice.net.au/GT-I9210T/Telstra_GT-I9210I_Ecips_Theme.zip

Hey Gary,

Tried this last night on my phone and got multiple FC's to the point where i had to do a complete restore.

robpi

Jan 3, 2008
Adelaide
I too have had different outcomes in the attempt to root the i9210T.

My first attempt I followed the skyrocket method and worked flawlessly. Buttons working.
While I had CWM installed it wasn't seen from within Rom manager. Not a big thing.
Was able to backup etc through recovery. Then I thought I have a go at a different ROM.
This is where it all went wrong. I bricked the phone. Thats right dead. no signs of life. I was able to get it replaced under warranty.

My new phone I tried again. rooted fine. buttons working. I was trying to get into recovery using the Volume UP+down and Power method so I could do a backup when I accidentally went into a ram dump mode screen. Couldn't get out of this screen so I took out the battery. When it rebooted I had no bottom buttons.

I have read that those who were able to do a backup were able to retrieve their buttons by restoring their boot.img file.

I have tried that. But my buttons were dead before the backup. I used a working boot.img from another phone hoping that would fix it. But that also did not work.

Currently have no buttons and am using the app 'button savior' for the time being.

Would be very interested in any suggestions or fixes for this issue.

I have tried different Roms mainly written for the SGH-989 phone which seem to work. haven't fully tested them, but no buttons.

So I don't think a new ROM will fix this issue. It seems to be deeper that that.

Even re flashing the stock Telstra ROM onto the phone does not fix the button issue.

What I stress is if you do attempt to root your phone, don't power down your phone before getting into recovery and doing a backup of your phone.

Those out there that are trying different things have their working boot.img file to restore to get their buttons again. No sure why it works on their phones and not on others. Must be more that just the boot.img file.

Any suggestion appreciated.

ecips

Dec 31, 2006
Perth
I too have had different outcomes in the attempt to root the i9210T.

My first attempt I followed the skyrocket method and worked flawlessly. Buttons working.
While I had CWM installed it wasn't seen from within Rom manager. Not a big thing.
Was able to backup etc through recovery. Then I thought I have a go at a different ROM.
This is where it all went wrong. I bricked the phone. Thats right dead. no signs of life. I was able to get it replaced under warranty.

My new phone I tried again. rooted fine. buttons working. I was trying to get into recovery using the Volume UP+down and Power method so I could do a backup when I accidentally went into a ram dump mode screen. Couldn't get out of this screen so I took out the battery. When it rebooted I had no bottom buttons.

I have read that those who were able to do a backup were able to retrieve their buttons by restoring their boot.img file.

I have tried that. But my buttons were dead before the backup. I used a working boot.img from another phone hoping that would fix it. But that also did not work.

Currently have no buttons and am using the app 'button savior' for the time being.

Would be very interested in any suggestions or fixes for this issue.

I have tried different Roms mainly written for the SGH-989 phone which seem to work. haven't fully tested them, but no buttons.

So I don't think a new ROM will fix this issue. It seems to be deeper that that.

Even re flashing the stock Telstra ROM onto the phone does not fix the button issue.

What I stress is if you do attempt to root your phone, don't power down your phone before getting into recovery and doing a backup of your phone.

Those out there that are trying different things have their working boot.img file to restore to get their buttons again. No sure why it works on their phones and not on others. Must be more that just the boot.img file.

Any suggestion appreciated.
I have been pulling apart the kernel source related to the touch key driver.

It seems that the firmware update is embedded in the kernel driver.

If you take a look in:

/usr/src/Android/drivers/input/touchscreen/melfas_download.c

You will find at line 480:

// Include MELFAS Binary source code File ( ex> MELFAS_FIRM_bin.c)

I suspect that the issue is that the non-I9210T kernels contain different firmware which bricks the controller.

-----------------

I still need to get my hands on the "virgin" sbl1 partition so I can return my phone.
Must be someone out there that can help me?

Nutterpc

Sep 24, 2010
Adelaide
Just wanted to add, should have my dev box running tomorrow, picking up the cables for it after work

What OS u think I should run on it, lol

Not windows was my idea :D

But I'm aiming to get my dev environment running so I can start to mess round with the source

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda premium

Last edited:

Nutterpc

Sep 24, 2010
Adelaide
So I download the right source this week, its the 9210T_SEA source code correct?

roosta

Oct 26, 2010
Melbourne
So I download the right source this week, its the 9210T_SEA source code correct?

I believe so. Especially if you're looking at something with the letter 'T' in it.

Additional information of the firmware used for this phone is in my sig. Samfirmware also released another version of the firmware, but i believe its practivcally identical in most areas (code wise) as the stock tesltra F/W.

Any updates?

Nutterpc

Sep 24, 2010
Adelaide
Woooooooooooooooooo

Phone arrived back from repair today.....

Gunna wait till a bulletproof solution is in place to root this and install custom firmware before i mess with it again

Nutterpc

Sep 24, 2010
Adelaide
Got my phone now, telstra shop didn't want to give me the phone till they got the charger that they gave me with the loaner phone was returned as well

Going to finish setting up the servers at home, and then start looking at the source for the phone

Do you think its worth trying to aim for a stock pre rooted ROM?

Might look at making that one of my projects this weekend

Sent from my GT-I9210T using xda premium

imblue

Mar 29, 2012
Sydney
Just wanted to add my experience with the SGSII 4G...

I got the phone on the 2nd day after it's initial release, attempted a root and lost the soft-touch buttons with no way of going back. I went back to the Telstra store (1hr after getting the phone), and had to wait 4 days for it to be sent off as an ELF and then got a replacement unit.

The replacement unit was a part of a newer batch, but also at this point I did not want it to look suspicious and therefore did not try the root again.

A lot more development and modifications have happened, special mentions to Qasha who actually found a way to resolve the soft-touch buttons. Given that I now had some sort of a safety net, with other repeating it, I tried the root method (as posted by Rob on the OCAU forums), and to my surprise it all worked first go - No need to try and recover from the soft-keys disappearing at all.

With that being said, there may have been a bad batch deployed out - with some users getting the root straight away, and others not so lucky.

Bring on the custom roms ;-)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    mods please relocate this post if in wrong area; could not find SGS2 4G forum. If not, please delete this comment!

Hey guys,

I'm hoping we can try keeping this thread for those who have the I9210 SGS2 phone, which is really only going to be the I9210T (Telstra) model which is 4G compatable; has a bigger screen; a better processor and NFC chip. I'm excited getting stuck into this device; have not had much of a play with it yet.

GSMarena Specs, user comments and pics here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_lte_i9210-4124.php

For the latest FIRMWARES or info on UNLOCKING device:

Causing a fuss helps; I managed to get this phone today on $59 CAP without paying the MRO $5 per mth and also had over $250 of previous contract termination fees fully waived; so think i have done well there.

Right now I just want to root this phone safely and where possible, get unbranded firmware (i hate all of telstra's locked apps) whilst maintaining all of Tesltra's functionalities with this phone and modem, so that i don't notice any difference in 4G access speeds...

If you have any useful tips, tricks, videos, manuals (etc), link or post them and I'll see if i can add them to this post. If you respond to this thread confirming you have the same phone in Australia and on the Telstra network, i'll add your details here:

SGS2 4G LTE I9210T owners:
    roosta
    lunchbox201
    xrobau
    bwp85
    ecips
    Nutterpc
    Joel006
    AcidDrops
    Hey Roosta,

Hey Roosta,

Hey guys,

Thought you'd wanna know i have been playing with the T989 ROMS.

Just installed the SlickMOD supreme 3.5 and it worked.

Link here to ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1596790

Take note of instructions. Also the bottom buttons didn't work until after a reboot or two.

DO A NANDROID BACKUP. SAVED MY BUTT MANY TIMES!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

My steps were to install the CWM recovery file supplied from the AT&T thread through Odin. Once phone restarted i went to the market and downloaded the SU file and busybox from there. Thats all i did and it worked without any problems.
    Hey guys, we have been having some luck with installing roms here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1593061