64 SDXC card compatible?

Search This thread

zacgoesrawr

Mar 4, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I think i've seen a few people with a 64GB SDXC microSD card. Does this work or not? I haven't seen any place that confirms what type of microSD cards work (normal, HC, XC) yet.
i don't want to waste the money on it if it doesn't actually work.

I think i've seen a few people with a 64GB SDXC microSD card. Does this work or not? I haven't seen any place that confirms what type of microSD cards work (normal, HC, XC) yet.
i don't want to waste the money on it if it doesn't actually work.

I was told by AT&T that i could use a 32gb microSD, as the max. Maybe a store like BestBuy would let you try it out first. Good luck.:)

A-to-the-J

Jul 4, 2009
SoCal
I work at AT&T and everything says 32GB max and that's what I relay to my customers. I've used a 32GB HC card, I've thought of trying a 64GB card, but didn't want to waste the money on it if it ended up not working. I have to go to Best Buy tomorrow, so I'll ask if I can test one out.

Reactions: grunt0300

8125Omnimax

Jul 1, 2006
New York City
Dont think it will work well for devices using the FAT32 format for their media. There are ways to read and possibly write to 64GB sd cards, but mostly involve formatting the card using you PC.

Havent held a 64GB sd card in my hands, but if it can work it would probably be the last sd card I ever own

A-to-the-J

Jul 4, 2009
SoCal
No luck with Best Buy. They didn't let me try it out. But if what Omnimax is saying is true, there's no use buying one.

cruzin_cruzing

Dec 30, 2010
Yes it will work. When you first pop it in it will say that is corrupt, but after reformatting it within Android Storage settings you will have 64 GB's. I had one for my Inspire but I thought it wasn't worth it so I sold it on eBay and got a 32 GB microSD, a case, an extended battery, and a screen protector instead.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

A-to-the-J

Jul 4, 2009
SoCal
Yes it will work. When you first pop it in it will say that is corrupt, but after reformatting it within Android Storage settings you will have 64 GB's. I had one for my Inspire but I thought it wasn't worth it so I sold it on eBay and got a 32 GB microSD, a case, an extended battery, and a screen protector instead.

3507yu7037.gif

Maybe I just might pick one up then. Any specific card or will any work?

daspazz

Mar 26, 2012
H0ust0ned
Hmmmm

I wouldn't mind one myself but they are rather pricey at 220.00 a pop! :eek:

Hopefully the price will come down soon. I can get an SDHC 32g locally from Fry's for about a dollar a g unless its on sale then its even cheaper!! :D

RyTheShark

Dec 9, 2010
Wow that's alot of space! But 80$ dang maybe like the other post 1$ a G would be nice

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

austin4913

Mar 30, 2012
College Station, TX
Current technology, from what I have read, support SDHC micro sd cards and the new 64 gb ultra micro sd cards use SDXC technology, which apparently are not supported by current phones on the market. I read it at http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/13284_SanDisk_64GB_microSD_for_sale-.php The article was from September 2011, but I think it is still accurate. Looks promising though, with transfer speeds of 30 mbps..:D

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

austin4913

Mar 30, 2012
College Station, TX
The best buy price of $79.99 is good though. I looked at numerous online stores including Amazon and eBay, and the average price is about $92..the price will obviously come down but it may be a mute point for people like me who want the HTC One X..that's the only bad thing about the One...no removable storage or battery..that's one of the reasons I trashed my iPhone and went with Android...much better!!

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
The best buy price of $79.99 is good though. I looked at numerous online stores including Amazon and eBay, and the average price is about $92..the price will obviously come down but it may be a mute point for people like me who want the HTC One X..that's the only bad thing about the One...no removable storage or battery..that's one of the reasons I trashed my iPhone and went with Android...much better!!

If HTC goes on that direction, then the Vivid might be my last device from them. No removable battery? If they get it right like Motorola did with the Razr maxx, I can live with that, but no sd support, bye bye.

Sent from my HTC Vivid via Tapatalk

austin4913

Mar 30, 2012
College Station, TX
Yeah, I feel the same way...I would love a new HTC phone but the 16 gb and battery are deal breakers for me...especially the memory...I download a lot of music through Rhapsody and the 16 is simply not enough...hopefully, the One X won't do so well and we shall see the return of removable battery and sd card...I've seen 64gb sd card at best buy...even though they won't work with current phones, they should on next generation phones this year which would make the One X less desirable..

g33mt4z

Mar 14, 2011
Strahan
Alright!!! I now have a 64 GB sdxc card, and it works for my HTC Velocity 4g!!! Android formatted it, and it works like normal, writes at 10MB/s and reads at 33MB/s. So, it's not faster than my 16GB sdhc card (must be the specs of the phone, not the sd card restricting speed). Hope that helped anyone thinking of buying a sdxc card :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: RyTheShark

daspazz

Mar 26, 2012
H0ust0ned
I wonder..............

How much this card is??

Micro SDXC flash memory cards are eXtended Capacity micro SD cards same features as SDXC cards - that is capacity up to 2TB (Terra Bytes) and data access speeds up to 300MB/s, but in the shape of the TransFlash / micro SD card that are usually used in mobile phones and other small electronic devices where even the small size of a regular SD card is to big. With an adapter microSDXC card can be used where miniSDXC or full sized SDXC cards are required as well as connected to PC via USB interface or for even faster read / write speeds connected to eSATA via eSATA SDXC connector that transforms any micro SD card into a low cost high performance thumb drive / flash drive.

micro-SDXC-2TB.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I work at AT&T and everything says 32GB max and that's what I relay to my customers. I've used a 32GB HC card, I've thought of trying a 64GB card, but didn't want to waste the money on it if it ended up not working. I have to go to Best Buy tomorrow, so I'll ask if I can test one out.
    Alright!!! I now have a 64 GB sdxc card, and it works for my HTC Velocity 4g!!! Android formatted it, and it works like normal, writes at 10MB/s and reads at 33MB/s. So, it's not faster than my 16GB sdhc card (must be the specs of the phone, not the sd card restricting speed). Hope that helped anyone thinking of buying a sdxc card :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using xda premium
    :banghead:
    Well, I feel silly lol, you're right, it would be a strange phone mod to get that working, spose you could solder leads to the micro sd pins, and run those through holes cut/drilled into the back cover and make a pocket for the normal size sd to sit inside a cover :p Now, a more serious, silly question, using that set up I mentioned, I wonder if you could series up more micro sd cards, make a massive memory bank built into a phone case... Just speculating :D btw, I still can't find anything helpful on the 2TB micro sd...

I'm begining to think its an urban ledgend. ;-)

About the "more" memory, I think currently we are limited to 64gb. I'm speculating that micro SDXC cards of greater size might be usable as phone developement progresses.....

Sent from my HTC Holiday using Tapatalk 2