[Q] APN Type Field Options

Search This thread

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
Since the beginning of time...there have been many APN configurations that work. But some claim that the addition of certain entries into the "APN Type" field are a necessity, or that they improve performance.

After searching, and viewing the support documentation for the AT&T Galaxy Note, I can find no definitive answers...nor does it seem that these additional entries improve performance....so-- if these entries don't improve peformance, are they dead weight? What do they do? If anyone can point to any external resources, or for that matter, they can explain what the different flags mean, it'd be extremely enlightening.

Lets start with the default settings:

Name: ATT PTA
APN: pta
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Auth: none

APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri

and finish with one that was recently suggested:

Name: ATT pta
MMS Port: 80
Authentication type: none

APN type:default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri,internet

What can difference can we expect? What functions do the different flags provide?

m4570d0n

Nov 20, 2011
Houston
OnePlus 6T
I was actually just wondering this myself this afternoon and saw your thread. It seems that the additions to the apn type showed up with the newer ICS leaks. After browsing multiple threads, most people seem to experience faster data speeds and more stable data with these additional apn types.

I found out what hipri and supl are on some random aussie site:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1663451
3. High Priority Mobile data {TYPE_MOBILE_HIPRI}

A High Priority Mobile data connection. This connection is typically the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but the routing setup is different. Only requesting processes will have access to the Mobile DNS servers and only IP’s explicitly requested via {@link #requestRouteToHost} will route over this interface if a default route exists.

Something you don’t need to think about

4. WIFI data connection. (TYPE_WIFI)

When active, all data traffic will use this connection by default.

Used to connect to your home wireless router.

Below are the APN TYPES that you set in the APN config on your phone.

1. Default (TYPE_MOBILE)

The Default Mobile data connection. When active, all data traffic will use this connection by default. Should not coexist with other default connections.

2. mms (TYPE_MOBILE_MMS)

An MMS-specific Mobile data connection. This connection may be the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but it may be different dependant on the network. This is used by applications needing to talk to the carrier’s Multimedia Messaging Service servers.

3. supl (TYPE_MOBILE_SUPL);

A Secure User Plane Location specific Mobile data connection. This connection may be the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but it may be different. This is used by applications needing to talk to the carrier’s Secure User Plane Location servers for help locating the device

How does the config on the phone get chosen?

When an application wishes to talk to the “network” it sets the APN type when it requests ConnectivityManager. ConnectivityManager then checks if you have an “APN type” set that matches. So for instance if the “APN type” it checks is MMS it will scan you configuration setting for a match and use say testra.mms APN. It will then use this configuration for the network connection. What you use for the APN name does not matter.

So now the connected to the network with say telstra.mms which is the APN that you configured.

fota = Firmware Over the Air (for receiving OTA updates)

still not sure what admin is though.

Last edited:

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was actually just wondering this myself this afternoon and saw your thread. It seems that the additions to the apn type showed up with the newer ICS leaks. After browsing multiple threads, most people seem to experience faster data speeds and more stable data with these additional apn types.

None of those seem like a good thing. Haha.

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
Not So Sure of the Defaults...

On my Note (running UCLE2 and Unofficial CM9) I have only default,mms,supl - no hipri [which does not surprise me 'cause I don't see AT&T giving individuals control over the priority - that could be a nightmare for their network]. And the more I think about this, my feeling is that if people start running high priority stuff, AT&T will land on like a ton of bricks

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL

On my Note (running UCLE2 and Unofficial CM9) I have only default,mms,supl - no hipri [which does not surprise me 'cause I don't see AT&T giving individuals control over the priority - that could be a nightmare for their network]. And the more I think about this, my feeling is that if people start running high priority stuff, AT&T will land on like a ton of bricks

Hipri is a device flag. This tells the device to use this APN profile over others. That's why some APN profiles don't stick.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: m0nn3

plj104

Dec 21, 2012
there is one more apn type - dun
for wifi sharing

As a newcomer to Android I am attempting to investigate certain of the APN Type settings on searching the Internet have
yet to find a definitive answer but gave tested some settings on a Motoluxe on O2 and have determined that I had to set it to

'default,dun' to successfully use Tethering both USB and WIFI prior to setting this it did not function. Any ideas?

hgmichna

Aug 28, 2010
Munich
michna.com
Perhaps I can revive this thread.

I see many recommendations for APN settings where the APN type is empty. What does that mean?

What does Android do when it looks for APN settings, but only finds one without any APN type? Does it use that? For what?

So is an empty APN type the same as default or default,supl,mms?

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL

I see many recommendations for APN settings where the APN type is empty. What does that mean?

What does Android do when it looks for APN settings, but only finds one without any APN type? Does it use that? For what?

APN Type is a field where you can tell your device to treat the profile differently than the other profiles....for instance, if you have the "default" flag in it, if you manually choose to use another APN setting and there are connection issues, or it fails, your phone will fall back to the one marked "default". A "hipri" flag might mark a profile as "high priority"--the profile of choice when choosing between multiple APN profiles.

I don't remember what flags mean what, but they're easy to find. If I remember correctly, none of them affect performance...they're there simply to priority, and alter the treatment of these connection methods by your device.

hgmichna

Aug 28, 2010
Munich
michna.com
APN Type is a field where you can tell your device to treat the profile differently than the other profiles....for instance, if you have the "default" flag in it, if you manually choose to use another APN setting and there are connection issues, or it fails, your phone will fall back to the one marked "default". A "hipri" flag might mark a profile as "high priority"--the profile of choice when choosing between multiple APN profiles.

I don't remember what flags mean what, but they're easy to find. If I remember correctly, none of them affect performance...they're there simply to priority, and alter the treatment of these connection methods by your device.

Why did you write that? It does not answer my question.

vikroli

Sep 21, 2016
Can someone tell me how to add an APN to the official list? I'm working for a MVNO and we would like to have our APN embedded into Android so that next time our users Powerup a device they can get the APN settings automatically.
Does anyone know what is the procedure to submit to Android a new APN for data connectivity?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. High Priority Mobile data {TYPE_MOBILE_HIPRI}

A High Priority Mobile data connection. This connection is typically the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but the routing setup is different. Only requesting processes will have access to the Mobile DNS servers and only IP’s explicitly requested via {@link #requestRouteToHost} will route over this interface if a default route exists.

Something you don’t need to think about

4. WIFI data connection. (TYPE_WIFI)

When active, all data traffic will use this connection by default.

Used to connect to your home wireless router.

Below are the APN TYPES that you set in the APN config on your phone.

1. Default (TYPE_MOBILE)

The Default Mobile data connection. When active, all data traffic will use this connection by default. Should not coexist with other default connections.

2. mms (TYPE_MOBILE_MMS)

An MMS-specific Mobile data connection. This connection may be the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but it may be different dependant on the network. This is used by applications needing to talk to the carrier’s Multimedia Messaging Service servers.

3. supl (TYPE_MOBILE_SUPL);

A Secure User Plane Location specific Mobile data connection. This connection may be the same as {TYPE_MOBILE} but it may be different. This is used by applications needing to talk to the carrier’s Secure User Plane Location servers for help locating the device

How does the config on the phone get chosen?

When an application wishes to talk to the “network” it sets the APN type when it requests ConnectivityManager. ConnectivityManager then checks if you have an “APN type” set that matches. So for instance if the “APN type” it checks is MMS it will scan you configuration setting for a match and use say testra.mms APN. It will then use this configuration for the network connection. What you use for the APN name does not matter.

So now the connected to the network with say telstra.mms which is the APN that you configured.

Hipri is a device flag. This tells the device to use this APN profile over others. That's why some APN profiles don't stick.