[MOD][Xposed] XFBSync - Restore native FB contact sync via Xposed [CM10+]

Search This thread

kbapk

Nov 25, 2011
I have google play edition ROM onn my HTC One M8, but i have one proble i do not have in FB app setting where i can turn on. There is no that options. When i weas on sense it was, what happened. What can i do
Screenshot_2014-09-15-07-34-28.png

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
I have google play edition ROM onn my HTC One M8, but i have one proble i do not have in FB app setting where i can turn on. There is no that options. When i weas on sense it was, what happened. What can i do
View attachment 2937660

HTC kept the facebook sync settings in their ContactsProvider for Sense. Hopefully if FB is done releasing updates for a while I can resume work on this module to restore that option.

Reactions: CsR0501

kbapk

Nov 25, 2011
It will be great if this option will be resumed. But now I will try with older FB version

I tried but there is no option to sync contacts.
I make all by instruction

What about picture quality when sync?

Last edited:

freedomtigers

Sep 17, 2013
kerala
this method not working after the last update to Facebook app.
i got this method working for an older version before. [with very low pic quality - please try to improve this too]
now it is gone.

i don't updated my os...........

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
i got this method working for an older version before. [with very low pic quality - please try to improve this too]
now it is gone.

Yes I'm aware. Facebook broke my module by moving things around within their app. The 14.x versions still work, but anything after that doesn't.

High-res contact pictures aren't a priority since there are a few apps out there that already do this. My priority at this point is to get the module working with the latest version of the FB app.

Opuz Klass

Nov 16, 2006
This explains why it wasn't working, no matter what... :)

Do you think you'll be able to fix the issue?

Thanks for the hard work!

adamhassel

Oct 10, 2011
Hopefully. For some reason the newer FB versions won't decompile cleanly, whether it's due to obfuscation or something else. Hard to figure out what they changed when I can't see the code.

But I'm still pushing forward.

I thought it was a matter of fidgeting inside ContactsProvider.apk or GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk, as explained many places online (by setting something 'is_restricted' to false), rather than the Facebook app itself?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I built this module at @mew1033's request. Thanks to the guide by @pogi1100, I was able to mimic the steps needed to get this working. This has been tested on CM11 4.4.4 Nightly from 06-19-14, but it should work on older CM/AOSP releases as well. Most OEM builds from HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, etc don't require this, as they modify the ContactsProvider themselves to allow Facebook syncing.

This module made it to the XDA Portal! Thanks!

Install steps:

• Make sure you have the latest Xposed Framework installed
    • Make sure you enable the app_process from within Xposed Installer and reboot
    • Install attached apk, just like you would any other apk
    • Enable module in Xposed Installer, but don't reboot/soft-reboot just yet
    1. Open Settings->Accounts. If you have a Facebook account already added, remove it
    2. Click on your Google account, and under its sync preferences, uncheck the Contacts item
    3. Go back to Settings->Apps. Go to the All tab and find Contacts Storage. Clear the data
    4. Now you can soft/hard reboot
    5. When the phone is booted, go back into Settings->Accounts, select your Google account. Re-check your Contacts item
    6. When the Contacts are finished syncing, open the Facebook app and enter your login info
    7. Open Facebook->Settings and scroll all the way down to Sync Contacts
    8. Check either to Sync All, or Sync with Existing Names
    9. Go back to Settings->Accounts, pick your Facebook account
    10. You should see Contacts as an item and it should show the syncing status
    11. When the sync is done, open People and you should see all your FB contacts, with phone numbers and email addresses

Known Issues
    If you have Privacy Guard, AppOps or any sort of privacy enhancer/app firewall, make sure you disable it for the Facebook app. This can prevent contact syncing from working.​
    The module has been reported to work on the KK and older version of the FB app from v14 and older. Also reported to work on the most recent stable LP FB app (v34.0.0...) and for some, the most recent alpha version (v35.0.0...)​

Available via Xposed Repo as well (currently under Beta).

Source code can be found at my github

I've attached some screens showing the steps outlined above. It's pretty straight forward, but should be done in that order.

The latest version of the module now has a module icon (thanks to @-DM-) in Xposed Installer. If you don't like it or are offended by it, continue to use v1.2.5. The module icon is the only change.

Had some issues decompiling the new FB apk. Will be a few days til I get a chance to do some testing.
    In SlimKat ROM is working contacts sync with Facebook. I have working option with Facebook applications to check contacts sync. But only profile photo is syncing and very bad quality. Maybe it will be helpful to see haw they do that.

The newer FB apps are still checking for the unrestricted_packages array, but not in the same location code-wise as the previous versions. It's just a matter of finding it and overwriting the return value.

Also, the low-res picture sync has always been a shortcoming of the FB contact syncing. That's why there are alternative apps that do high-res photos. I had started doing some preliminary work on incorporating high-res photo syncing but ran into some roadblocks. If I can get the contact sync working again, I might have time to look into the photos as well.
    now it is gone.

Yes I'm aware. Facebook broke my module by moving things around within their app. The 14.x versions still work, but anything after that doesn't.

High-res contact pictures aren't a priority since there are a few apps out there that already do this. My priority at this point is to get the module working with the latest version of the FB app.
    Grrr. Facebook needs to calm down with their updates until I get this sorted :|