[cifs][wifi sleep fix][multicast][nfs][aoe]kernel based on ARCO/HCDRJacob's kernel

Search This thread

s7mx1

Jul 8, 2009
Summary:

If you want to use real-time streaming including voip over wifi when screen is off please give the customised kerenl a try.

If you want to access windows share on your wildfire please give the customised kerenl a try.

If you want to use multicast applications over wifi please give the customised kerenl a try.

If you want a working wifi on your wildpuzzle rom with the latest kernel please give the customised kerenl a try.

Otherwise please go to jacob's kernel builds page.

All the credit goes to Jacob for his kernel source code http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=798471.

Jacob's kernel build is excellent but it lacks some vital functionality therefore I have went some depth to build my own version which adds the following

1) wifi sleep fix. This is a killer problem for applications sensitive to latency when the screen is turned off. This is caused by the default aggressive wifi power saving policy. This is a permanent fix for anyone experiences voice drop when screen is off during wifi voip call.
2) cifs support. This will enable you to access windows share on your wildfire.
3) multicast. I believe not many people use multicast on their wildfire but its good to have an option.
4) network file systems like nfs and aoe. Personally I have not tested them at all.
5) other small changes which I can not remember

I have built three versions so far and wildpuzzle room users (possibly other sense rom users) please try HCDR.Kernel_0593ef9.signed.zip to guarantee a working wifi. They are zip files can be flashed to any rom. Please take a backup before you flash the kernel and I will hold no responsibility for the result of such flash!!!

HCDR.Kernel_v4.2_606a571.signed.zip this is the latest kernel based on jacob's 4.2
HCDR.Kernel_v4.1_a91e73b.signed.zip this is the kernel based on jacob's 4.1
HCDR.Kernel_0593ef9.signed.zip this is the kernel based on jacob's early version of build

== update 2011-05-23 ===

It looks like jacob has moved on with his zte blade and arco has taken over. I have grabbed arcon's latest stable kernel https://github.com/arco/htc-kernel-buzz/ and build my own with similar kernel configs to my previous modified kernels. The attached flashable zip file is called ARCO.Kernel_eaa7283-22.05.11.signed.zip and I have tested it with CM 7.0.3
  • Working wifi with screen turned off
  • Working Bluetooth
  • Working GPS
  • Working Wifi hotspot (tethering)
  • Merge most kernel module into kernel. Now only aoe and wifi modules are installed separately.

I am quite happy with this version of kernel and it seems stable so far. For all kernel bugs please report to arco straight. I would recommend use this kernel with CM 7.0.3 as this is what I am using now.

Attachments

• HCDR.Kernel_v4.2_606a571.signed.zip
    3 MB · Views: 1,969
  • HCDR.Kernel_v4.1_a91e73b.signed.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 609
  • HCDR.Kernel_0593ef9.signed.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 437
  • ARCO.Kernel_eaa7283-22.05.11.signed.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,264
Last edited:

hector28

Aug 22, 2010
wow this is great, does it mean my phone will drain more battery when i leave wifi on?

lemmoned

Apr 17, 2010
Many thx and Really nice work!!!

I confirm HCDR.Kernel_v4.2_606a571.signed.zip is stable for CM7.

Regards

aioan

Aug 28, 2010
Athens
is "HCDR.Kernel_v4.2_606a571.signed.zip " stable for CM 7 RC1???

I am using it with CyanogenMod 7 RC1 and it is stable so far.
But I cannot see any improvement on skype.

Skype on wildfire has a very bad call quality when the screen is off, but works ok when on the loudspeaker (so the proximity sensor is not turning off the screen).

Anyone succeeded skype calls on the wildfire?

cantona_xw

Dec 7, 2010
Summary:

If you want to use real-time streaming including voip over wifi when screen is off please give the customised kerenl a try.

If you want to access windows share on your wildfire please give the customised kerenl a try.

If you want to use multicast applications over wifi please give the customised kerenl a try.

If you want a working wifi on your wildpuzzle rom with the latest kernel please give the customised kerenl a try.

All the credit goes to Jacob for his kernel source code http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=798471.

Jacob's kernel build is excellent but it lacks some vital functionality therefore I have went some depth to build my own version which adds the following

1) wifi sleep fix. This is a killer problem for applications sensitive to latency when the screen is turned off. This is caused by the default aggressive wifi power saving policy. This is a permanent fix for anyone experiences voice drop when screen is off during wifi voip call.
3) multicast. I believe not many people use multicast on their wildfire but its good to have an option.
4) network file systems like nfs and aoe. Personally I have not tested them at all.

I have built three versions so far and wildpuzzle room users (possibly other sense rom users) please try HCDR.Kernel_0593ef9.signed.zip to guarantee a working wifi. They are zip files can be flashed to any rom. Please take a backup before you flash the kernel and I will hold no responsibility for the result of such flash!!!

HCDR.Kernel_v4.2_606a571.signed.zip this is the latest kernel based on jacob's 4.2
HCDR.Kernel_0593ef9.signed.zip this is the kernel based on jacob's early version of build

how can i wake on trackball

s7mx1

Jul 8, 2009
wow this is great, does it mean my phone will drain more battery when i leave wifi on?

The wifi should not consume more power if there is no traffic going through while idle.

However if previously you were using "always screen on" as a work around for voip calls then this customised kernel will save your battery as now you can really turn the screen off while on wifi calls, i.e. uncheck the "always screen on" from your sip clients.

s7mx1

Jul 8, 2009

Skype on wildfire has a very bad call quality when the screen is off, but works ok when on the loudspeaker (so the proximity sensor is not turning off the screen).

You really need to ask skype for that. I have never found skype calls to be acceptable quality with wildfire (constant chopping) even when the screen is on. This tells me its very likely to do with something else other than wifi power saving.

Last edited:

katmant

Sep 29, 2010
I have flashed file but cannot seem to get cifs manager to work. It gives the error about module not present or kernel not supporting. Sorry haven't got error to hand. Am I doing something wrong?

s7mx1

Jul 8, 2009
In cifs manager you need to specify to location of the cifs kernel module so it can load up for you.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

katmant

Sep 29, 2010
@s7mx1
Thanks for these modules, been after CIFS for a while. Looked at cifsmanager again and got it to connect!:cool:
Would you describe the steps to generate these files from the original kernel sources?
Thanks again, well chuffed its all working now :D

mylover12

Sep 21, 2010

so wifi hotspot working with kernel 4.1,4.2 on CM7-RC1 rom ??

mylover12

Sep 21, 2010
when i use JIT on CM7 RC1 with 4.1,4.2 sometimes kernel my device freeze :|. but flash 4.1 stable of Jacob it working great

Last edited:

kaefert

Nov 14, 2007
Vienna
Hi there! I got a wildfire with the SUnAaBh v1.1 ROM.
First I first flashed your 4.2 kernel which caused my device to loop boot
Then I tried your version 4.1 and this did sometimes sporadically cause my phone to hang.
And now I flashed the original 4.1 from jakob which didn't give me any issues, I will wait and see if it hangs again. just wanted to tell you my experiences

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Summary:

== update 2011-05-23 ===

It looks like jacob has moved on with his zte blade and arco has taken over. I have grabbed arcon's latest stable kernel https://github.com/arco/htc-kernel-buzz/ and build my own with similar kernel configs to my previous modified kernels. The attached flashable zip file is called ARCO.Kernel_eaa7283-22.05.11.signed.zip and I have tested it with CM 7.0.3
    • Working wifi with screen turned off
    • Working Bluetooth
    • Working GPS
    • Working Wifi hotspot (tethering)
    • Merge most kernel module into kernel. Now only aoe and wifi modules are installed separately.

I am quite happy with this version of kernel and it seems stable so far. For all kernel bugs please report to arco straight. I would recommend use this kernel with CM 7.0.3 as this is what I am using now.