Unlock t889 issue - SOLVED

Search This thread

guardm

Jan 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
SOLVED:::::::::: Thanks to Pirobo_Colmbino

I recently was issued an official unlock code for my t889 from tmo. I tried to unlock the device using an ATT sim and got the "network unlock unsuccessful" message. Apparently, I'm a dunce and didn't read AND follow the instructions properly and entered the wrong code more than once. Now I am told that my device is PERMANENTLY LOCKED and cannot be unlocked. Is this correct? Is there a way to fix it? HELLLP

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
I recently was issued an official unlock code for my t889 from tmo. I tried to unlock the device using an ATT sim and got the "network unlock unsuccessful" message. Apparently, I'm a dunce and didn't read AND follow the instructions properly and entered the wrong code more than once. Now I am told that my device is PERMANENTLY LOCKED and cannot be unlocked. Is this correct? Is there a way to fix it? HELLLP

Hi, im not sure if this is gonna help, but the way I unlock mine was with the help of a simple youtube search. Im new her so i cant post a link.

Steps: dial *#197328640#
step 1: umts
step 2: debug screen
step 3: phone control
step 4 network lock
step 5: perso sha256 off ( wait 30 seconds than hit the menu key and hit back)
step 6: nw lock nv data initialliz (wait about 1 minute and exit.
reboot and that should be it.

Try that out and if it does not work "meaning you dont see all of the options" all you have to do is downgrade to an older version of Stock " yes you will have to root again but it gets the job done.

If it helps dont forget to hit thanks.

Reactions: shryau and guardm

guardm

Jan 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Hi, im not sure if this is gonna help, but the way I unlock mine was with the help of a simple youtube search. Im new her so i cant post a link.

step 4 network lock

Try that out and if it does not work "meaning you dont see all of the options" all you have to do is downgrade to an older version of Stock " yes you will have to root again but it gets the job done.

Thanks for your reply. I tried this before and all the worked until it comes to step 5. When I go back, the item "nw lock nv initialliz" (in your step 6), isn't there to select. Perhaps downgrading is the answer?

The part I don't seem to understand is that TMO says because I entered the wrong code multiple times, I lost the ability to unlock. Does this method overwrite or fix the permanent lock they spoke of?

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for your reply. I tried this before and all the worked until it comes to step 5. When I go back, the item "nw lock nv initialliz" (in your step 6), isn't there to select. Perhaps downgrading is the answer?

The part I don't seem to understand is that TMO says because I entered the wrong code multiple times, I lost the ability to unlock. Does this method overwrite or fix the permanent lock they spoke of?

Yeah if u dont see it you must downgrade.

and as far as the overwrite im not sure. sorry

Reactions: guardm

guardm

Jan 4, 2008
NorthEastern US

You, sir are correct. I was able to downgrade via Odin, but I lost some functions (which didn't matter since it was only temporary). I performed the steps you provided and tested with an ATT sim. It worked. Then I updated to current stock ROM and rooted. Tested again with ATT sim and my device is still unlocked. Thanks for your help. I hope anyone else who runs into this issue, can find this post and learn like I did.

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
You, sir are correct. I was able to downgrade via Odin, but I lost some functions (which didn't matter since it was only temporary). I performed the steps you provided and tested with an ATT sim. It worked. Then I updated to current stock ROM and rooted. Tested again with ATT sim and my device is still unlocked. Thanks for your help. I hope anyone else who runs into this issue, can find this post and learn like I did.

What Version were you on when you could not unlock it. And what version did you flash?

Feb 21, 2013

Im glad i could help. :good:

Reactions: guardm

guardm

Jan 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
What Version were you on when you could not unlock it. And what version did you flash?

I'm not so sure it had much to do with the version, although I am no expert dev. Mind you, this happened in a short period of time.

TIMELINE:
I was on The stock (shipped) rom when I first bought my GN2. I got it new and broke the seal on the box. Upon opening and starting the device, I got an OTA update (don't remember the build but not the LL4 ota). I started doing some reading on XDA, since like most, I like tinkering and tweaking. Not long after that (Mid Jan 2013) I got the OTA from TMO that had "minor fixes and security changes". This is when I read somewhere on XDA that it is not recommended that we accept the OTA update. But it was too late; I had already done it. I came across the unlock instructions posted earlier in this thread but I couldn't get pass all the steps. A few days later I rooted via ROOT66_TMO_UVALL4 rom, which gave me access to SuperUser. [I have this ZIP saved if anyone wants it and wants to show me how share it.] Then I got an official unlock code from TMO.

I followed these instructions that TMO sent me with the unlock code

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Below you will see the Instructions for unlocking your Samsung device.
Please be advised a non T-Mobile SIM card MUST be used to unlock this device.

1. Insert a NON T-Mobile SIM & turn Device on

2. The Device will automatically prompt you to enter code into an empty field.

3. Click/Tap in the empty field above the "Unlock & Dismiss" options (this will display a key pad on the screen).

4. Using the key pad input the Unlock Code provided by T-Mobile.

5. Press the Back button to remove the keyboard from screen.

6. Click/Tap the "Unlock" option; handset should display "Network Unlock Successful".

Please note that if you are unlocking a flip device please use steps 1, 2, 3 and 6.
In my haste, I didn't follow the instruction EXACTLY as written. Somehow I managed to enter the unlock code while using my TMO sim and not the "NON TMO sim". When I did this, I got the message in step 6. I thought I was good from here. I tried an ATT sim a few days later to verify but it asked me again for the sim unlock code but the operation was unsuccessful. I tried entering the donor phone's screen unlock code a few times as well as zeros and 1234 and again failed. I tried again with another donor phone with the same result. TMO sent me a second unlock code which also failed. I did tell them that I had done the OTA update and the rep told me it shouldn't matter. I did not tell them I was rooted stock though. The rep told me that due to entering the wrong code multiple times, the device went into "security lockout" and could not be unlocked. I read into several threads and posts and could not find the answer, Thus my original post. I down graded my Rom to T889UVALJ1, successfully performed the unlock procedure posted above (NOT TMO official), and re-installed the ROOT66 rom. Everything is now working perfectly. I put in the ATT sim and it pops right up as ATT.

The real question now is, does the OTA issued by TMO block the unlock exploit and is that what they refer to when they mention "security features"?

Thank for Solving this issue goes to user Pirobo_Colombino see post 2

Last edited:

akdnj88

Mar 25, 2011
I encountered the same problem couple weeks ago. The problem is not caused by the TMO firmware update but rather the fact that you tried to unlock the phone using the hack you found on the internet. Per instruction on the free unlock hack online, you selected "PERSO SHA256 OFF", this step is what prevented the phone from being successfully unlocked with TMo unlock code. In order for the TMO unlock code to work, you have to select "PERSO SHA256 ON", then follow the instruction steps to unlock using TMO code. That is what I did and it worked for me. Hope this helps anyone who will run into this problem in the future. Cheers :good:

guardm

Jan 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
I encountered the same problem couple weeks ago. The problem is not caused by the TMO firmware update but rather the fact that you tried to unlock the phone using the hack you found on the internet. Per instruction on the free unlock hack online, you selected "PERSO SHA256 OFF", this step is what prevented the phone from being successfully unlocked with TMo unlock code. In order for the TMO unlock code to work, you have to select "PERSO SHA256 ON", then follow the instruction steps to unlock using TMO code. That is what I did and it worked for me. Hope this helps anyone who will run into this problem in the future. Cheers :good:

Interesting....... This is the first I've heard of this. Not to say this info is not out there; I just never came across it. I do hope that this reaches the poster of those links (there are quite a few) as a cautionary note. Perhaps someone will post a how-to compiled with all these tidbits included.

Spartan2x7

Mar 10, 2013
Provide link?

step 4 network lock

Could you provide the links to old versions of stock because Ive been having some trouble rooting back to a baseband before vall4

handrade773

Mar 20, 2013

Thank you so much!! Tmobile sent me the code and I was having problems unlocking my note ll till I read this info.

junedar

Jul 8, 2013
Samsung Tmobile

Thank you so much!! Tmobile sent me the code and I was having problems unlocking my note ll till I read this info.

Need help Bad.
Have a tmobile sgh-t889. Tmobile sent me an network unlock pin and entered it. Says network unlock successfull. but still no signal. restarted the device and it again asked for a network pin. did the step again and stil the same..

What could be wrong? BTW its a 4.1.1.

Pls help.

guardm

Jan 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Need help Bad.
Have a tmobile sgh-t889. Tmobile sent me an network unlock pin and entered it. Says network unlock successfull. but still no signal. restarted the device and it again asked for a network pin. did the step again and stil the same..

What could be wrong? BTW its a 4.1.1.

Pls help.

Latest OTA is 4.1.2

I'm not sure how you are trying to do your unlock. In order to use the unlock method detailed in post #2, I needed to downgrade my firmware. The method in post 2 WILL NOT work after the OTA update.

If you are using the instructions from your carrier, follow the instructions they emailed you EXACTLY. If you have issues with the carrier instructions, contact them; It's up to them to give you proper tech support on THEIR product.

As I understand, the "hack" method is for mostly intended those who have modded/altered/rooted/other-than-stock devices. Whichever method you use, be aware, YOU RUN THE RISK OF BRICKING YOUR DEVICE. That being said, research your steps BEFORE you end up with a dead device.

I AM NOT a developer nor claim to be an expert at any of these methods. However I have been modding my devices for years by reading and researching XDA. I have had success and failures and so will you. The best advice I can offer is to continue reading the posts CAREFULLY and be patient.

I hope this helps

Last edited:

junedar

Jul 8, 2013
Latest OTA is 4.1.2

I'm not sure how you are trying to do your unlock. In order to use the unlock method detailed in post #2, I needed to downgrade my firmware. The method in post 2 WILL NOT work after the OTA update.

If you are using the instructions from your carrier, follow the instructions they emailed you EXACTLY. If you have issues with the carrier instructions, contact them; It's up to them to give you proper tech support on THEIR product.

As I understand, the "hack" method is for mostly intended those who have modded/altered/rooted/other-than-stock devices. Whichever method you use, be aware, YOU RUN THE RISK OF BRICKING YOUR DEVICE. That being said, research your steps BEFORE you end up with a dead device.

I AM NOT a developer nor claim to be an expert at any of these methods. However I have been modding my devices for years by reading and researching XDA. I have had success and failures and so will you. The best advice I can offer is to continue reading the posts CAREFULLY and be patient.

I hope this helps

Yep I did in detail what has been said in post #2. ( By default my device is 4.1.1. )

When it didnt worked, I asked tmobile for the network pin. I also followed their instruction thoroughly, after i entered the pin they gave, it gave the message network unlock successfull. I noticed that there still was no signal so i restarted my device. However it still keep asking me for a network pin. When I asked them about this, they just said that they dont really know why.

I also did a factory reset.

Wonder what could be the issue. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

guardm

Jan 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Yep I did in detail what has been said in post #2. ( By default my device is 4.1.1. )

When it didnt worked, I asked tmobile for the network pin. I also followed their instruction thoroughly, after i entered the pin they gave, it gave the message network unlock successfull. I noticed that there still was no signal so i restarted my device. However it still keep asking me for a network pin. When I asked them about this, they just said that they dont really know why.

I also did a factory reset.

Wonder what could be the issue. Any thoughts?

I would call Tmobile again and talk to someone else. Maybe ask for tier 2 support. Many times, the first person you get is a low level customer support person that only knows what the computer screen shows them unfortunately.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

step 4 network lock

Im glad i could help. :good:
    After the sim unlock, sim card in HK still also can use it?

I cannot say it will work with HK sim since I have NO experience with that card or even overseas. However, I can say that ATT&T sim works every time I put it in the phone. Have you ever used a HK sim in another phone? If you did and it worked, I don't see why it wouldn't work in this one.