HTC keeps effing up with the button layout, why not go with on screen buttons?

Search This thread

jhonsok

Jul 15, 2010
I don't mind the new button layout but there better be a way to map a menu key somewhere.

I play lots of emulators and I need a menu key to access options. I hate that stupid black bar designated for menu, it really kills the experience for me. I hated my one x at first because of that.

With that said, I'm happy with what they've done for their next hero device. Can't wait.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

townay

Oct 2, 2011
Chang Hua City
To solve this losing work space complain, they could make made a phone with 5" screen like the butterfly and still get 4.8" real state .

OK some of you don't like on screen buttons but are you actually saying you prefer to not have a multitasking button ? :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Really dislike onscreen buttons. All they ever do is take up screen space.

Multitasking button only requires you to double tap Home button.
Are people really that lazy now?

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
Guys I heard double tap on back button to get into settings, just like double tap on home button to use multiple apps.

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
I would much rather have a three button layout (the third one being a dedicated menu button), but this two button layout isn't preventing me from buying it in anyway. ;)

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

What are you on about?

The whole point of Android going to a 3 button from 4 button layout was to REMOVE the menu button...

It went from: MENU BACK HOME SEARCH

to: BACK HOME MULTITASK

no one with a 3 button layout has MENU as a dedicated button anymore.

Admitedly HTC's going to a 2 button layout is a bit.. odd but I don't think it's going to be bothersome to adapt to it, far better that they stuck with capacitive buttons, the on screen ones have a number of drawbacks.

Eggcake

Apr 5, 2010
What are you on about?

The whole point of Android going to a 3 button from 4 button layout was to REMOVE the menu button...

It went from: MENU BACK HOME SEARCH

to: BACK HOME MULTITASK

no one with a 3 button layout has MENU as a dedicated button anymore.

Admitedly HTC's going to a 2 button layout is a bit.. odd but I don't think it's going to be bothersome to adapt to it, far better that they stuck with capacitive buttons, the on screen ones have a number of drawbacks.

1. SGS3 still has the old button layout
2. Not everything Google does is for the best

In my opinion, the switch from Menu to Multitask was a very bad decision. I get the reasoning behind it (unhide UI elements), but it was one of the "features" of Android in my opinion that you could truly have full screen applications without the need of any UI elements (you always had the option to go back and for other options you had the menu button).
So yeah, menu button makes less sense nowadays as many apps have a dedicated on screen menu button anyways, so it gets kinda useless. But to be perfectly honest, I don't really need the MT button either. Yes, I use it from time to time but not as much a dedicated button would in any way make my life easier.
In fact, on my One X, I have mapped the MT key to be the menu key and long press MT key to multitask instead. I use the menu key WAY more often.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

I don't mind the new button layout but there better be a way to map a menu key somewhere.

I play lots of emulators and I need a menu key to access options. I hate that stupid black bar designated for menu, it really kills the experience for me. I hated my one x at first because of that.

With that said, I'm happy with what they've done for their next hero device. Can't wait.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

I'm not really sure if you're aware that you can disable the menu bar in the settings of the One X and map the Menu key to the multitasking key (either press for menu and longpress for multitask or the other way around).

vegetaleb

I think I will always miss the N1 trackball,for both waking the phone and missed call lights.
I love the HTC One but if could find a single disadvantage,it's the 2 buttons instead of 3, I wonder if we will have S2W with empty space between 2 buttons,perhaps it will be 2tap2W (two taps the button to wake)

JOSE89178

Jul 12, 2012
Nevada
On screen buttons would be an immediate deal breaker for me. The Nexus 4 will be the last phone I ever buy with on screen buttons. I hate it, with a passion.

Thank you HTC for NOT using on-screen buttons.

Lol. I have the Atrix HD. These on screen buttons are ridiculous!

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

katamari201

Oct 18, 2011
I hate onscreen buttons. They are annoying and make the whole screen look ugly. When they disappear into three dots like in the camera app and you have to pop them back up, its all a waste of time and screen. Samsung, LG, and HTC realize how stupid they are so they have not embraced them. Google needs to learn some humility and know when to back down when they've made a mistake. Microsoft allows for microSD cards now in WP8, completely changing their tune about it since WP7. Google is still defying the market, sticking with onscreen buttons and no expansion on their nexus phones. MicroSDs are cheap and far cheaper than getting a higher GB model, if you can even find a higher GB model that is.

I like that HTC reduced the number of buttons and made them smaller. They are still big enough to hit easily, but aren't hugging the corners like Samsung or LG phones, which are very easily to press by accident. Less buttons also means less accidents. One of the great things about the iPhone's single home button is that you always know where it is and its easy to press without looking for it. Press once for home, double press for recent apps, press again on home to go to first page or go to search, hold for Siri. It's easier for me than having to remember the constantly changing button order on phones, having to distinguish between them, or pressing the wrong one by accident. HTC is simplifying the buttons for the better. I also like the HTC logo in between the two buttons.

DoMiNiKiNG947

Dec 4, 2008
What they should have done was leave it the way it is like the HTC Evo LTE aka HTC One OG version with three button layout. Way better. Don't like that three dot screen and on some apps its just taking up space. I just recently bought Evo LTE about 2 months ago because though no menu button gonna suck but noticed it had it by activating it. The new layout for the One kind of sucks. Home button should of been on middle or even leave the HTC but use it as home button and third be menu/multitask.
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Eggcake

Apr 5, 2010
What they should have done was leave it the way it is like the HTC Evo LTE aka HTC One OG version with three button layout. Way better. Don't like that three dot screen and on some apps its just taking up space. I just recently bought Evo LTE about 2 months ago because though no menu button gonna suck but noticed it had it by activating it. The new layout for the One kind of sucks. Home button should of been on middle or even leave the HTC but use it as home button and third be menu/multitask.

I'm repeating myself:
You can deactivate that 3-dot menu and map the menu functionality to the back button (long press). Exactly the same thing with the One X/One S where you can map the menu button to the multitasking button.

DoMiNiKiNG947

Dec 4, 2008
And by the way, on screen buttons is a no-no for me. Takes up space form screen. HTC be dumb enough to do that. Hard enough to go from 4 to 3 buttons to then go to 2 button. 3 is good.

GlossGhost

Dec 22, 2010
Sofia
Or just take the slight edge of the screen, swype inside and made on screen buttons appear. Also make a button that hides them and whenever you need the just swype again and they will be there.
Without taking up from the resolution and the screen. They just appear on top of what you have. What do you guys think about that?
Mapping the keys is the best way though.

xXxG0dzRAgexXx

Feb 24, 2013
Beltsville, Maryland
As much as I love swipe gestures and not like using buttons, I feel like making the menu purely gesture based isn't too good an idea. I like how HTC isn't using on screen buttons. I've never used an android for more than a few minutes though and I wasn't too big a fan of the on screen buttons when I would see someone else's phone. I'm sure not too long after I get the HTC one ill just try to find things that will allow me to get rid of the need for the buttons to make it all gesture based. Still like the idea of having the dedicated buttons there though just in case.

xXxG0dzRAgexXx

Feb 24, 2013
Beltsville, Maryland
Will some of you honestly moan about anything you can?
If having a certain feature on the One is a deal breaker for you, don't stay in this forum. You don't need to tell us what you don't like and we don't need to hear it.

What's a forum if you can't share your opinions? :p Some people do act ridiculous over the smallest things though, I for one would have bought the phone any way they would have made the buttons. This phone is just too good to pass up.

Wh1techapel

Feb 25, 2013
Oxford
For me, the on-screen buttons ruined the XZ. I have decided to switch my attention to the One for this and a few other reasons.

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
What's a forum if you can't share your opinions? :p Some people do act ridiculous over the smallest things though, I for one would have bought the phone any way they would have made the buttons. This phone is just too good to pass up.
Yeah that's pretty much what I mean. People just making a mountain out of a molehill.
The Nexus 4 forum is terrible for that. Tons of threads pop up saying "This screen broke without touching it" and within a couple of pages the story is revealed that it was dropped from a couple of feet high -_-

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Who do i have to bl*w in HTC in order to get on screen buttons? Why do HTC refuses to implement onscreen buttons on their phones? they're so practical, they (and we) can remap them to their/our liking , and now they made the horrible decision to cut the multitasking button for good? because supposedly people dont use it? really HTC? you're stripping android of one of its best features? easy and almost instant switching between apps ? whatever people say, having to wait 2 more seconds to hold the back button to get multitask really makes an annoying difference
    Android should just adopt pie controls as an option.
    Thread cleaned

...from some troll. He'll not be back for some time ;).
    On screen buttons suck. Baffles me why someone would want to waste screen space like that.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Its not a waste of space, anyways your capacitive buttons will be occupying the space. Instead the screen can take the space which imo is far better. Also by a custom ROM (like pa) you can hide the buttons making the complete screen for use (which obviously can't be done with capacitive keys)

Sent from my One™ V using xda-developers-app
    lol at all the people saying on-screen buttons take space. Well you know capacitive buttons take space as well seriously are people that dumb?

I have suggested this solution before in other forums and I will say again. The BEST solution is to have a separate screen for navigation buttons. If you make the HTC one a 5" phone with on-screen buttons then its going to be wider than it is right now unless you make the screen even wider than 16:9 which wont make any sense. However if you give it a 4.7" screen AND a dedicated screen for buttons then you dont have to make it any wider. Sure it drives up costs a little bit but the flexibility you get in usage is well worth it.