[Q] what do you think is after pebble steel?

Search This thread

xukaiteo

Mar 17, 2011
I know it's a little too soon, but what do you think it's after the pebble steel? Will it be the Pebble 3? When do you think will it be announced?
This is one of my first time posting on this forum , please be nice. :D

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
I'm excited about the Android Wear devices because of the Google Now integration. I've always thought the mic and speaker on the smartwatch would be an important feature - not for speakerphone conversations, but as a good supplemental control system for the times when fiddling with the watch with your other hands is inconvenient. Pair it with always listening voice control of Google Now and you've opened up a world of convenience and utility.

I hope Pebble will consider that, because I'm testing a Gear 2 Neo and the mic and speaker is game changing. Even though w/ Samsung, you're only given control of S-Voice instead of Google Now, there's still a lot you can accomplish with it. It would be cool if a dev could break that open so we could choose which one. I'm at the point where any future smartwatches I choose, will be required to have that kind of feature.

If all Pebble did on the next HW version was add always-on health monitoring (steps & heart rate monitor) and mic w/ speaker I'd be happy.

Last edited:

xukaiteo

Mar 17, 2011
I'm excited about the Android Wear devices because of the Google Now integration. I've always thought the mic and speaker on the smartwatch would be an important feature - not for speakerphone conversations, but as a good supplemental control system for the times when fiddling with the watch with your other hands is inconvenient. Pair it with always listening voice control of Google Now and you've opened up a world of convenience and utility.

I hope Pebble will consider that, because I'm testing a Gear 2 Neo and the mic and speaker is game changing. Even though w/ Samsung, you're only given control of S-Voice instead of Google Now, there's still a lot you can accomplish with it. It would be cool if a dev could break that open so we could choose which one. I'm at the point where any future smartwatches I choose, will be required to have that kind of feature.

If all Pebble did on the next HW version was add always-on health monitoring (steps & heart rate monitor) and mic w/ speaker I'd be happy.

Yes that will be great! Maybe also include wireless charging like the Qualcomm Toq.

I really hope Pebble will stick to what they are doing now. I like them over Android wear because of:

1. Screen is always on. I would hate having a watch that had to be turned on.

2. There are still country's that doesn't have voice recognition from Google. Including Denmark where I live. I frequently use English voice recognition for my phone, but it is impossible to get it to recognize danish names etc. So I would prefer no voice.

That being said, a higher resolution would be great, and a more stable connection would be awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
I really hope Pebble will stick to what they are doing now. I like them over Android wear because of:

1. Screen is always on. I would hate having a watch that had to be turned on.

2. There are still country's that doesn't have voice recognition from Google. Including Denmark where I live. I frequently use English voice recognition for my phone, but it is impossible to get it to recognize danish names etc. So I would prefer no voice.

That being said, a higher resolution would be great, and a more stable connection would be awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Agreed on point 1. I'm testing the Neo and it is the single most annoying thing with this watch. Any watch that can't reliably activate the screen to the point I have to reach over with my other hand is a fail. It is no longer convenient - I need the info to be immediately visible when I glance down for it to be useful like on my Pebble and Metawatch. Even the Gear 2 Neo is a half second slow to wake up, so it doesn't feel as nice to use as as the Pebble. I am not one to be impressed by the color touch screen of the Gears. It's form over function.

On point 2 - I really feel for you that it is not a reliable way to interact for you. As an English speaker, I cannot do justice on describing how convenient the always on voice commands are when they work - and we're coming upon an age where more often than not, it is reliable and accurate. To extend that to the watch so that the watch on your wrist is the control mechanism in scenarios where your hands are busy otherwise, it's a breakthrough! I hope the voice control is made better for your use someday very soon so you can also experience the convenience I've been enjoying.

I don't care for the round shape of the Moto 360, though. I would like a "screen shape" so I can achieve the density of information I require on certain watchfaces - I don't know if I'll be able to get that out of a round screen.

Like I said, I LOVE the way my Pebble has been able to give me such real features and uses, but due to what I expect a major shift in how I want to use a smartwatch after testing one with the mic and speaker, those are absolute requirements going forward for me. If they don't add that voice control capability, I'll have to eliminate their offerings from my future selections.

CGeyser

Dec 8, 2009
Los Angeles
My guess is that a future Pebble would have the following:
1) Once again the charging port/cable will be drastically altered from the previous versions. (making it not backwards compatible)
2) The overall shell of the unit is bulkier.
3) If the technology exists, they might have a color screen (e-ink/paper of course).
4) The stock software will allow users more open slots to install/remove watch faces/apps/games.

Adding anything else would drastically lower the battery's performance and be very unnecessary. Adding Android as the base software would really make this watch a nightmare to use. The battery wouldn't last as long, the watch would be heavier, and it would get uncomfortably warm. Adding stuff like a speaker wouldn't give this watch its waterproof ability.

The way Pebble is, its perfect in every aspect. Granted you're still stuck with some watch faces, but physically, its perfect. Waterproof, dust-proof, drop-proof, long-lasting, light, watch-bands are replaceable, and its relatively thin.

athankar75

Sep 2, 2011
Athens
I just got my new silver pebble. It is very beautiful and first of all is a watch and not a complex device. My only problem till now it is that does not support greek language and the most letters showing as boxes. I hope a new firmware fix this...

logitechor

Sep 29, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 6
I recently got the Pebble. I use it for Fitness. I use it for Music control. And notifications. I have say I am impressed. The connection issue is improving for me. The screen functional but for sure not beautiful. I hope at some point for future devices the engineers figure out how to have nice looking screens with good battery life. And someway of making the watch useful when the phone is not right there. We may be a few generations away though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

xukaiteo

Mar 17, 2011
I recently got the Pebble. I use it for Fitness. I use it for Music control. And notifications. I have say I am impressed. The connection issue is improving for me. The screen functional but for sure not beautiful. I hope at some point for future devices the engineers figure out how to have nice looking screens with good battery life. And someway of making the watch useful when the phone is not right there. We may be a few generations away though.

Maybe they can use Qualcomm's Mirasol display. :)

Reactions: redadz

redadz

Nov 21, 2012
Yes, higher res, always-on screen is my biggest desire for a new pebble. Ideally color, and I think mirasol would be a great option.

Keep the buttons; I absolutely do not want a touch screen. And better built in apps would be nice: timer / stop watch / single shot alarms, "nag" notifications that buzz every 5 minutes until dismissed.

Voice input to Google now would be nice but not that important to me. My phone does that already.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jan 31, 2008
I would be curious to know if it is possible for them to come out with an Android Wear watch running on the E-Ink display. Kinda taking the best of both worlds. I think that the development community has been great for Pebble so far but I am pretty sure Android Wear will be catching up really quick to surpass it. But one of the features that I love about my Pebble is that the battery life is great and always on. So if there is a way it would be a neat idea to kinda bridge the gap instead of trying to compete. They would also be offering something that any of the Android Wear devices we have seen so far. Just a thought.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got my new silver pebble. It is very beautiful and first of all is a watch and not a complex device. My only problem till now it is that does not support greek language and the most letters showing as boxes. I hope a new firmware fix this...

try pebblebits ;)

Maybe they can use Qualcomm's Mirasol display. :)