[EOL] [KERNEL] [I9300] [Samsung JB] Boeffla-Kernel 5.11/6.9/7.9 (23-10-2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
*** NOTE: All kernels are now officially end-of-life (EOL).
Please do not expect any more updates for them in future, no maintenance and no bugfixing. ***

Hi all,

this is the thread about the well-known Boeffla-Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 international.

Compatibility

Important: This kernel is only meant to be compatible with official Samsung Stock firmware and nothing else.
So when the kernel does not run on custom rom XYZ, do not even bother me with it or ask hundred times in the thread for compatibility.
I could not care less about it !!

Notes:
Never install it on CM or AOSP based roms!!!

• Kernel version 5.x are only for Samsung based Jelly Bean 4.3.x roms!!!

• Kernel version 6.x is only for ported Samsung based Kitkat 4.4.2 roms (e.g. Archiport) !!!

• Kernel version 7.x is only for ported Samsung based Kitkat 4.4.4 roms (e.g. back-to-n00t) !!!

• Kernel versions 1-4 are only for Samsung based Jelly Bean 4.1.x roms!!! (no development anymore)

For the CM Boeffla-Kernel, please go HERE.

If you have questions to settings, presets, others configuration and wanna share your configuration, head over to the unofficial Boeffla-Config App Config sharing thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621308

Support

First read the FAQ section on the Homepage !!!

Click here to learn about all possible kernel settings in the config app.
Click here to learn about using the config app.

I will refuse to give support if you do any undervolting and experience freezes or hot reboots.

I will also not provide any support if you do not use Boeffla-Config app to tweak the kernel, other 3rd party tweaking apps are known (and intended) to cause issues.

Change logs

(you can also access them directly in Boeffla-Config V2 by pressing menu and selecting "change log...")

Change log for Android 4.3 kernels: KLICK HERE
Change log for Android 4.4.2 kernels: KLICK HERE
Change log for Android 4.4.4 kernels: KLICK HERE

Features

* To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from here: DOWNLOAD
* Upstreamed to Linux 3.0.101 (www.kernel.org)
* Based on Samsung source code GT-I9300_JB_Opensource_Update13
* Initramfs from xxugml2 kernel
* CPU "soft" overclocking to 1500 or 1600 MHz
* CPU undervolting interface
* GPU frequencies configurable (underclocking, overclocking up to 700 MHz)
* GPU voltages configurable (undervolting, overvolting)
* Configurable zRam (Turbo zRam with up to 4 devices)
* Configurable touch-to-wake
* Configurable touch boost frequency
* Configurable early suspend time (for screen off animations, 100ms default)
* Configurable LED for fading mode, speed and brightness
* Configurable charger rate for AC, USB and wireless (default increased to 1100 mA for ac charging)
* Charging logic supports ignore unstable power and remove safety margin
* Charge information display support via Boeffla-Config V2 app
* Boeffla-Sound engine V1.6.5 to unleash the power of the Galaxy S3 audio chip
* Additional governors: zzmoove 0.7d, pegasusqplus, smartassv2 and lulzactiveq
* Governor profiles for pegasusq, pegasusqplus and zzmoove for performance, battery saving etc.
* Additional schedulers: ROW, ZEN, BFQ (v6r2) and SIO
* Schedulers configurable separate for internal and external SD memory
* Hardcore speedmod sharpness fix implemented (default is off)
* Black crush fix for better balanced display
* SD card read ahead buffer configurable separate for internal and external SD memory (default increased to 256 kB)
* Ext4 File system tweaks (default to on, can be disabled)
* System Tweaks predefined supported (default is off, new Mattiadj tweak set included)
* WIFI Multicast filter for better battery life
* WIFI wakelock times reduction
* Proportional rate reduction for TCP
* TCP congestion changed from Cubic to Westwood
* Wifi mac address change support
* Dynamic fsync 1.2 implemented
* Timeout for external SD card changed to improve handling of crappy SD cards
* Custom boot animation support
* Swap supported (but not recommended, use zRam instead)
* init.d support (in /system/etc/init.d - set correct permissions!)
* exFat opensource (Samsung OSRC) instead of proprietory modules
* NTFS (read-only access only!) compiled as a module
* CIFS compiled as a module
* NFS compiled as a module
* XBox controller support as module
* exFat support switchable (switch it off if you do not need it)
* Battery monitor wakelocks reduced
* Kernel can root if required (create file "autoroot" on internal sd and reboot)
* Android logger can be disabled
* Kernel logger can be disabled
* Disabled various debug logs and traces
* Frandom compiled as a module (for mods like Crossbreeder)
* Triangle away supported
* Automatic EFS backup to external (priority) or internal SD Card (fallback) - now compatible with tools like kTool
* Kernel initialisation log file (with history of 3 log files)
* Exynos vulnerability and sudden dead issue fixed
* Emergency reset script automatically placed into /boeffla-kernel-data folder of your internal memory
* Compatibility to common standard apps (Voltage Control, SetCPU, System tuner etc.)
* EFS V1 modem supported (also on Android 4.3)
* Compiled with Google arm 4.7 toolchain
* Internal kernel busybox version 1.21.1

Download

For all information and downloads (stable AND testing versions), visit the Boeffla-Kernel homepage:
www.boeffla.de

History

Basically I created Boeffla-Kernel as there was no kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 around that had exactly the mix of functionalities that I wanted. I wanted to have full flexibility in undervolting and charge rates for instance, but did not like the sharpness and/or brightness tweaks many kernels have implemented as per default.

Hence, I began to create my own kernel after a while, adding all the features I like. This is the result of my work, which in the end I decided to share with you. I hope you like it as much as I do.

The objective of this kernel is to have a kernel for daily use. It does not aim for best battery life, or best smoothness or best benchmark scores. It aims more for a good mix of all, not sacrificing stability and functionality in the end.
And - most important: It aims to stay quite close to stock !!!

This said, I will definitely NEVER implement:

• dual boot (I do not need it)
  • color "calibration" (I do not like it, but I like the crispy stock colours)
  • real hard overclocking higher than 1600 MHz as this is outside of Exynos specs
  • f2fs - it is known to cause various issues and compatibility problems
  • anything that requires upstreaming of kernel parts to a higher kernel major version
So do not even ask for it. Everything else I am happy to check and decide.

Compatibility

To reiterate it again: This kernel is only for Samsung based Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.x) firmwares. It is not designed to run on AOSP based roms!

Configuration of the kernel

To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from the downloads section on www.boeffla.de.

Donation

If you like my work, feel free to donate: Donation-Link

You will receive a personal donation code which unlocks some nice comfort functions in Boeffla-Config V2 on top.

Source code

All sources can be found in my Github repository: http://github.com/andip71

Credits to developers

Of course, I had never been able to create all that by my own. So I want to give credits to the really good developers around, that have given me all the inspiration and from which I cherry picked lots of the implemented functionalities:

* Yank555
* ZaneZam
* Hardcore
* Chainfire
* Harunjo
* AndreiLux
* Netarchy
* Gokhanmoral
* Simone201
* Supercurio
* Mialwe
* Entropy512
* Faux

... I just hope I did not forget someone. If so, please let me know and I will add you of course.
Thanks to all of you for your great work !!!

Disclaimer

*** As always - Flash on our own risk! ***

Make sure you flash the correct version depending on your firmware version!

I can and will not take any responsibility for bricked phones or lost data.

It is generally recommended to run a complete Nandroid backup in CWM recovery and safely store your personal data before you flash a new kernel.

Cheers and enjoy
Andi

Last edited:

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
This is weird. I just tried on PC and Phone, both working for me...

Can you maybe try again? What browser are you using?

Cheers
Andi

Sounds very promising. Glad to see some people will keep their s3. Sending u a beer soon :) installing now

Ps. Fix the links. Redirects to downloading html page.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

zodiaxe66

Nov 19, 2010
OnePlus 8T
I had no problem getting into your homepage or dl both kernel and cleaner script..
Will flash your kernel tomorrow..
Anyway welcome to gs3 :eek:

Reactions: andip71

Jack Barrett

Jul 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Downloaded via PC. 5 min on it and I love it. Keyboard seems faster than before. Cleaned RAM twice, no redraw. Maybe launcher is locked in memory?

Here's your beer. Cheers and best of luck! ;)
zuqa5uga.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Download links now avaialbe in OP

EDIT: Have done some setting changes to the homepage, it should be working now also from your mobile devices. If not, please PM me...

For all those having trouble to download from the homepage to the mobile device: I have temporarily added download links into the OP as well.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks
Andi

Last edited:

sotmax

Feb 26, 2010
Kefalinia island
i m testing this kernel since first betas quietly with my rom builds and i can say nothing but only best words.
This is the best kernel i ve ever had.
I m not going to say that other kernels are bad, not at all.
But for me stability and dailly use comes first and i cannot see lag anywhere......everything seems fast and it dont need overclock for sure....it is perfect out of the box ;)

Bangdoo

Dec 19, 2010
i m testing this kernel since first betas quietly with my rom builds and i can say nothing but only best words.
This is the best kernel i ve ever had.
I m not going to say that other kernels are bad, not at all.
But for me stability and dailly use comes first and i cannot see lag anywhere......everything seems fast and it dont need overclock for sure....it is perfect out of the box ;)

I am also testing it till beta. I know for sure that this Kernel for me is the BEST. Very Smooth ,no lags..

Thank you Andi

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Download from homepage now working fine

Hi,

just a small update on the download issue from the homepage yesterday:

I completely swapped out the old download component in the CMS and replaced it by a different one. Now it has been confirmed (Thanks to Jack Barrett) to be working fine.

By the way - there is a known issue with auto root reported (in both 1.0 and 2.0-beta1 versions), I am currently working on it and expect a new beta version very soon.

Cheers
Andi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** NOTE: All kernels are now officially end-of-life (EOL).
    Please do not expect any more updates for them in future, no maintenance and no bugfixing. ***

Hi all,

this is the thread about the well-known Boeffla-Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 international.

Compatibility

Important: This kernel is only meant to be compatible with official Samsung Stock firmware and nothing else.
    So when the kernel does not run on custom rom XYZ, do not even bother me with it or ask hundred times in the thread for compatibility.
    I could not care less about it !!

Notes:
    Never install it on CM or AOSP based roms!!!

• Kernel version 5.x are only for Samsung based Jelly Bean 4.3.x roms!!!

• Kernel version 6.x is only for ported Samsung based Kitkat 4.4.2 roms (e.g. Archiport) !!!

• Kernel version 7.x is only for ported Samsung based Kitkat 4.4.4 roms (e.g. back-to-n00t) !!!

• Kernel versions 1-4 are only for Samsung based Jelly Bean 4.1.x roms!!! (no development anymore)

For the CM Boeffla-Kernel, please go HERE.

If you have questions to settings, presets, others configuration and wanna share your configuration, head over to the unofficial Boeffla-Config App Config sharing thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621308

Support

First read the FAQ section on the Homepage !!!

Click here to learn about all possible kernel settings in the config app.
    Click here to learn about using the config app.

I will refuse to give support if you do any undervolting and experience freezes or hot reboots.

I will also not provide any support if you do not use Boeffla-Config app to tweak the kernel, other 3rd party tweaking apps are known (and intended) to cause issues.

Change logs

(you can also access them directly in Boeffla-Config V2 by pressing menu and selecting "change log...")

Change log for Android 4.3 kernels: KLICK HERE
    Change log for Android 4.4.2 kernels: KLICK HERE
    Change log for Android 4.4.4 kernels: KLICK HERE

Features

* To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from here: DOWNLOAD
    * Upstreamed to Linux 3.0.101 (www.kernel.org)
    * Based on Samsung source code GT-I9300_JB_Opensource_Update13
    * Initramfs from xxugml2 kernel
    * CPU "soft" overclocking to 1500 or 1600 MHz
    * CPU undervolting interface
    * GPU frequencies configurable (underclocking, overclocking up to 700 MHz)
    * GPU voltages configurable (undervolting, overvolting)
    * Configurable zRam (Turbo zRam with up to 4 devices)
    * Configurable touch-to-wake
    * Configurable touch boost frequency
    * Configurable early suspend time (for screen off animations, 100ms default)
    * Configurable LED for fading mode, speed and brightness
    * Configurable charger rate for AC, USB and wireless (default increased to 1100 mA for ac charging)
    * Charging logic supports ignore unstable power and remove safety margin
    * Charge information display support via Boeffla-Config V2 app
    * Boeffla-Sound engine V1.6.5 to unleash the power of the Galaxy S3 audio chip
    * Additional governors: zzmoove 0.7d, pegasusqplus, smartassv2 and lulzactiveq
    * Governor profiles for pegasusq, pegasusqplus and zzmoove for performance, battery saving etc.
    * Additional schedulers: ROW, ZEN, BFQ (v6r2) and SIO
    * Schedulers configurable separate for internal and external SD memory
    * Hardcore speedmod sharpness fix implemented (default is off)
    * Black crush fix for better balanced display
    * SD card read ahead buffer configurable separate for internal and external SD memory (default increased to 256 kB)
    * Ext4 File system tweaks (default to on, can be disabled)
    * System Tweaks predefined supported (default is off, new Mattiadj tweak set included)
    * WIFI Multicast filter for better battery life
    * WIFI wakelock times reduction
    * Proportional rate reduction for TCP
    * TCP congestion changed from Cubic to Westwood
    * Wifi mac address change support
    * Dynamic fsync 1.2 implemented
    * Timeout for external SD card changed to improve handling of crappy SD cards
    * Custom boot animation support
    * Swap supported (but not recommended, use zRam instead)
    * init.d support (in /system/etc/init.d - set correct permissions!)
    * exFat opensource (Samsung OSRC) instead of proprietory modules
    * NTFS (read-only access only!) compiled as a module
    * CIFS compiled as a module
    * NFS compiled as a module
    * XBox controller support as module
    * exFat support switchable (switch it off if you do not need it)
    * Battery monitor wakelocks reduced
    * Kernel can root if required (create file "autoroot" on internal sd and reboot)
    * Android logger can be disabled
    * Kernel logger can be disabled
    * Disabled various debug logs and traces
    * Frandom compiled as a module (for mods like Crossbreeder)
    * Triangle away supported
    * Automatic EFS backup to external (priority) or internal SD Card (fallback) - now compatible with tools like kTool
    * Kernel initialisation log file (with history of 3 log files)
    * Exynos vulnerability and sudden dead issue fixed
    * Emergency reset script automatically placed into /boeffla-kernel-data folder of your internal memory
    * Compatibility to common standard apps (Voltage Control, SetCPU, System tuner etc.)
    * EFS V1 modem supported (also on Android 4.3)
    * Compiled with Google arm 4.7 toolchain
    * Internal kernel busybox version 1.21.1

Download

For all information and downloads (stable AND testing versions), visit the Boeffla-Kernel homepage:
    www.boeffla.de

History

Basically I created Boeffla-Kernel as there was no kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 around that had exactly the mix of functionalities that I wanted. I wanted to have full flexibility in undervolting and charge rates for instance, but did not like the sharpness and/or brightness tweaks many kernels have implemented as per default.

Hence, I began to create my own kernel after a while, adding all the features I like. This is the result of my work, which in the end I decided to share with you. I hope you like it as much as I do.

The objective of this kernel is to have a kernel for daily use. It does not aim for best battery life, or best smoothness or best benchmark scores. It aims more for a good mix of all, not sacrificing stability and functionality in the end.
    And - most important: It aims to stay quite close to stock !!!

This said, I will definitely NEVER implement:

• dual boot (I do not need it)
    • color "calibration" (I do not like it, but I like the crispy stock colours)
    • real hard overclocking higher than 1600 MHz as this is outside of Exynos specs
    • f2fs - it is known to cause various issues and compatibility problems
    • anything that requires upstreaming of kernel parts to a higher kernel major version
    So do not even ask for it. Everything else I am happy to check and decide.

Compatibility

To reiterate it again: This kernel is only for Samsung based Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.x) firmwares. It is not designed to run on AOSP based roms!

Configuration of the kernel

To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from the downloads section on www.boeffla.de.

Donation

If you like my work, feel free to donate: Donation-Link

You will receive a personal donation code which unlocks some nice comfort functions in Boeffla-Config V2 on top.

Source code

All sources can be found in my Github repository: http://github.com/andip71

Credits to developers

Of course, I had never been able to create all that by my own. So I want to give credits to the really good developers around, that have given me all the inspiration and from which I cherry picked lots of the implemented functionalities:

* Yank555
    * ZaneZam
    * Hardcore
    * Chainfire
    * Harunjo
    * AndreiLux
    * Netarchy
    * Gokhanmoral
    * Simone201
    * Supercurio
    * Mialwe
    * Entropy512
    * Faux

... I just hope I did not forget someone. If so, please let me know and I will add you of course.
    Thanks to all of you for your great work !!!

Disclaimer

*** As always - Flash on our own risk! ***

Make sure you flash the correct version depending on your firmware version!

I can and will not take any responsibility for bricked phones or lost data.

It is generally recommended to run a complete Nandroid backup in CWM recovery and safely store your personal data before you flash a new kernel.

Cheers and enjoy
    Andi
    reserved1

--- reserved for future usage ---
    reserved2

--- reserved for future usage 2 ---
    Away...

Ladies and Gents,

I will say good-bye to you for the next few days. We are travelling for our new year's eve party tomorrow and will return on Thursday throughout the day.

But I wish a happy new year 2014 to everyone. Let's see what it brings for the Android world.

CU soon
    Andi
    Final round up

Hi guys,

also a final round for my S3 Samsung kernels today, which are now considered final.

Change log is the same for the Samsung JB 4.3, Kitkat 4.4.2 (Archiport) and KitKat 4.4.4 (back-to-n00t).

Samsung 4.3 -- Version 5.9 stable -- Final
    Samsung 4.4.2 -- Version 6.7 stable -- Final
    Samsung 4.4.4 -- Version 7.7 stable -- Final

• zzmoove governor updated to version 1.0-beta8 - bugfix and cleanup release (credits to ZaneZam)
    • zzmoove governor profile "relax" added (aiming to avoid audio stutters during screen off)
    • TCP optimisation (initial TCP window size)
    • Enabled a bunch additional tcp congestion algorithms that can be selected in Boeffla-Config app (click here and here for more information)
    • Support for latest Boeffla-Config apps to have a better stock settings determination
    • Kernel build process now able to use ccache
    • Internal build script enhancements
    • Internal async kernel start script reverted back to previous approach
    • Replaced kernel-internal busybox by a new version

Have fun (hopefully)
    Andi