12 Ways to Save Battery without Root and break 7hrs SoT

Search This thread

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I put together a list of things that helped me get 7 hours SoT on a charge (Wifi). Edit: 6.75hrs SoT. Edit2: 7.75hrs SoT No root access or modifications needed for these.

This is my first Android device and I wanted to share some of the things I've learned mostly reading these forums. It also annoys me to read users complain about their battery life but are unwilling to do anything about it. I hope this will help people to realize the full potential of their phone.

1. Llama, Tasker, etc: Automate everything you can to save battery. It can be more efficient to run a line of code then to tap the screen.

2. Force stop all the programs you don't really need running in the background in Settings > Apps > Running. Basically act like your own Greenify. Or use Greenify.

3. Wakelocks: Track the "Awake Time" of suspicious applications and services and either reboot or force stop them if necessary.

4. Disable Google applications you don't need. Myself I disabled Chrome, Gmail and News & Weather.

5. Disable: touch and typing vibration. I have type sounds On and touch sounds Off because those really add up on speaker.

6. Disable: NFC, Bluetooth, Wireless printing etc. Automate to run only when needed for no lost functionality.

7. Wifi: Automate to turn on only for Wifi zones of your choice. No lost functionality. Wifi always scanning: Off.

8. Notifications: Apps and games can send you unnecessary notifications. Disable them. Enable only what you need.

9. Hotword detection: off. This specifically drains SoT and saves only a single screen tap.

10. Widgets: These drain battery without ever showing up individually on the stats page. Silent killers.

11. Lux: Another silent killer even when set "On Wake only" and "Slow". Just by disabling Lux lite and a once-daily updated Feedly widget I noticed significant SoT gains. Using Llama to automate brightness is more efficient.

12. Speaker vs Headphones: The speaker seems to use more battery.

Two apps that can help you monitor your battery and phone with no root requirement:

Play Store Link.
Current Widget - Set to update manually on your home screen for minimal power draw. Check your charge and discharge rates along with battery temperature.

Play Store Link.
S Tools+ - This just popped up in the XDA apps section the other day. Detailed information on CPU states, Deep Sleep time and ALL your sensors, nicely graphed and very polished including transparent nav bar. Other than real time graphing of sensors this shouldn't be much of a drain.

Last edited:

monkeypaws

Feb 19, 2012
Speaker vs headphones....what?? Care to explain how? I'm saying the difference is negligible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Ober/Hydra

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah, you really don't need to do all that to save battery. Just don't turn on data until you need it and you'll get a week of standby on a single charge with this phone, and a full day of usage (or more depending on how much you use it).

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Speaker vs headphones....what?? Care to explain how? I'm saying the difference is negligible.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

I seem to drain more battery listening to music with speakers over headphones but its hard to tell and probably negligible, as you say.

Yeah, you really don't need to do all that to save battery. Just don't turn on data until you need it and you'll get a week of standby on a single charge with this phone, and a full day of usage (or more depending on how much you use it).

Not sure if serious or not. That functionality is enabled on the phone by default and you'll see many people struggling to get over 3 hours SoT like that.

There are even reviews which seem to think topping 3 hours SoT is some kind of miracle. Most will answer that by saying: "you need root and flash x ROM with y kernel".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

outofthisworld

Jun 10, 2010
I put together a list of things that helped me get 7 hours SoT on a charge (Wifi). No root access or modifications needed for these.

1. Llama, Tasker, etc: Automate everything you can to save battery. It can be more efficient to run a line of code then to tap the screen.

2. Force stop all the programs you don't really need running in the background in Settings > Apps > Running. Basically act like your own Greenify. Or use Greenify.

3. Wakelocks: Track the "Awake Time" of suspicious applications and services and either reboot or force stop them if necessary.

4. Disable Google applications you don't need. Myself I disabled Chrome, Gmail and News & Weather.

5. Disable: touch and typing vibration. I have type sounds On and touch sounds Off because those really add up on speaker.

6. Disable: NFC, Bluetooth, Wireless printing etc. Automate to run only when needed for no lost functionality.

7. Wifi: Automate to turn on only for Wifi zones of your choice. No lost functionality. Wifi always scanning: Off.

8. Notifications: Apps and games can send you unnecessary notifications. Disable them. Enable only what you need.

9. Hotword detection: off. This specifically drains SoT and saves only a single screen tap.

10. Widgets: These drain battery without ever showing up individually on the stats page. Silent killers.

11. Lux: Another silent killer even when set "On Wake only" and "Slow". Just by disabling Lux lite and a once-daily updated Feedly widget I noticed significant SoT gains. Using Llama to automate brightness is more efficient.

This is my first Android device and I wanted to share some of the things I've learned mostly reading these forums. It also annoys me to read users complain about their battery life but are unwilling to do anything about it. I hope this will help people to realize the full potential of their phone.

I suspected Lux was using battery but the actual app use is showing up as very very minimal. Less than 1%.

Its far too convenient! Does llama have the same exact function built in?

Riekr

Sep 9, 2008
ɌɛggiŒmiɭia
I must admit that using lux from within llama allows me to refresh brightness on screen rotation too which is not bad at all at least.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

AlderCass

Jan 27, 2013
Cork
www.aldercass.com
Man I wish I could just stare at a 5 inch screen for 7 hours a day.
Not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Gotta agree. The vast majority of users charge overnight and with my own setup - currently on stock rom and stock kernel (though I'm currently bouncing between that and Franco to see which I prefer) with pretty much everything always on (NFC, WiFi, data, location access, though I disable notifications from the likes of Facebook, Twitter, etc. just because I'm not that invested in social networks that I'd want constant updates) I can get 3+ hours SOT - which I'd assume is more than enough for most people. Greenify is to thank for most of my battery savings.

But don't get me wrong - for those who do need more SOT than that, the OP is fantastic advice, and I'll be coming back to this thread when I'm on holiday etc. and won't be able to charge every night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enddo

shilton.charles

Sep 16, 2010
OnePlus 8
great tips :)

kuddos to the OP
very helpful tips...hotword detection remains off for me most the time
as i work in a noisy environment and hardly make use of it unless im relaxed in office/ home

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com
If you actually read the post you would realize there is no lost functionality.

don't mind the haters. they're just mad that they only get 3 hours of screen on time and 10% battery drain per hour when deep sleeping

they would rather complain than take control of their device and if you dont use your own phone exactly like they use their phone, then they call foul and tell you that your results don't matter. they say the same thing to people that use their device like an ipod touch(by putting it in airplane mode).

haters will always hate

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I suspected Lux was using battery but the actual app use is showing up as very very minimal. Less than 1%.

Its far too convenient! Does llama have the same exact function built in?

I think it's just really hard to get good auto brightness on this phone right now due to the sensor. Using Lux Lite didn't help me very much since I was bouncing between very low and extremely high brightness but I imagine the full version could be more useful.

Llama is an extremely light weight application and uses only 6MB of RAM, the lowest of any service I've seen. I think it could add to Android System drain but using Cell Tower locations and properly set up conditions I don't think it will by much.

Thanks for the supportive comments. I really just want to help and have no hidden agenda here. We've known for months now that the N5 can get 8.9 hours SoT web browsing on WiFi and 6.9 hours web browsing on LTE. Of course Anandtech used perfect, non-root conditions with airplane mode On, Gnow off and zero apps or widgets; something that even I am unwilling to put up with. We can still strive to get as close to those numbers as possible.

Two apps that can help you monitor your battery and phone with no root requirement:

Play Store Link.
Current Widget - Set to update manually on your home screen for minimal power draw. Check your charge and discharge rates along with battery temperature.

Play Store Link.
S Tools+ - This just popped up in the XDA apps section the other day. Detailed information on CPU states, Deep Sleep time and ALL your sensors, nicely graphed and very polished including transparent nav bar. Other than real time graphing of sensors this shouldn't be much of a drain.

Last edited:

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
Houston, because I have a problem
Generally speaking SOT depends on what you are doing.

I've been down this road and can get SOT times on any phone pushing 5 hours.

To say no loss of functionality is wrong. You state to kill half the apps that I use so that is a LOF to me.

The secret, well not really, is the brightness and network reception.

Turning down the brightness and getting max signal/bandwidth will affect the battery more than turning off apps. Remember the rule of thumb the longer the phone has to stay on for a wakelock the more the battery drains and that is SOT and sleep. What I mean is you'll drain your battery faster connected to a dialup internet connection than fiber at 1gig.... It's all about bandwidth and high signal strength and screen brightness.

Not hating just saying that no one person can say this will give you X number of hours of SOT when everyone's signal/bandwidth environment is different.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You also forgot to keep the phone off.

I put together a list of things that helped me get 7 hours SoT on a charge (Wifi). Edit: 6.75hrs SoT. Edit2: 7.75hrs SoT No root access or modifications needed for these.

Play Store Link.

Play Store Link.
    can anyone explain how to use llama to control the brightnes and save battery?

Try setting the condition to a time of day.

I know the OP is intended to be of help and i mean no offence to the thread starter but...

I get around 5 hours screen time and my set up is
    Location reporting - off
    Wifi scanning always available - off

That's it.
    If you need more than 5 hours screen time a day then rather than starting automating things and manually shutting down every app you don't need maybe you should step back and take a look at your life. Lol

You were fine until that last part. That's uncalled for. I tapped a few things on my screen and got 2 more hours SoT than is average so you make sweeping judgments about my life? That says a lot more about you then me.

Some people require the battery to last longer. I'm glad you don't need it to.

Generally speaking SOT depends on what you are doing.

I've been down this road and can get SOT times on any phone pushing 5 hours.

To say no loss of functionality is wrong. You state to kill half the apps that I use so that is a LOF to me.

The secret, well not really, is the brightness and network reception.

Turning down the brightness and getting max signal/bandwidth will affect the battery more than turning off apps. Remember the rule of thumb the longer the phone has to stay on for a wakelock the more the battery drains and that is SOT and sleep. What I mean is you'll drain your battery faster connected to a dialup internet connection than fiber at 1gig.... It's all about bandwidth and high signal strength and screen brightness.

Not hating just saying that no one person can say this will give you X number of hours of SOT when everyone's signal/bandwidth environment is different.
    D
    Deleted member 4132771
    Man I wish I could just stare at a 5 inch screen for 7 hours a day.
    Not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app