[Q] Anyone have resolution to "No Mobile Data" issue on Galaxy S3 AT&T?

Search This thread

geesedude

May 1, 2013
New York
I've tried flashing different roms, modems, changing APN and mobile network settings, etc. Can't seem to get it to work. Everything else works just fine on 4.2.2, including cell and mms. Just no data.

Flashed (UPDATED):
cm-11-20140319-NIGHTLY-d2lte (4.4.2)
I747UCUEMJB bootloader
I747UCUEMJB modem

Other Info:
Kernel: 3.4.83-cyanogenmod-ge6f22a5 build01@cyanogenmod #1
Provider: PTEL (PlatinumTel, a T-Mobile MVNO)
Mobile network type: HSDPA

Last edited:

internethuman

Mar 22, 2014
I've tried flashing different roms, modems, changing APN and mobile network settings, etc. Can't seem to get it to work. Everything else works just fine on 4.2.2, including cell and mms. Just no data.

Flashed:
cm-11-20140210-SNAPSHOT-M3-d2att.zip
boot_CWM_I747UCDMG2
d2att_I747UCUEMJB_modem

I recently had CyanogenMod 11 installed on my phone and I noticed phone calls, messages, and WiFi worked but when I turned my Mobile Data on, It did not work even though it showed it was on. If your issue has not been resolved, I suggest you check this out - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540998.

geesedude

May 1, 2013
New York
who is the wireless provider?

It's PlatinumTel (PTEL), which is a t-mobile mvno. I should note that i have the bootloader and the modem matched, have tried factory resets, and even downgraded to previous version (before updating bootloader to latest so i don't brick). Ptel tells me i need to update my APN, which basically was their standard msg... no help there. Thanks.

geesedude

May 1, 2013
New York
I recently had CyanogenMod 11 installed on my phone and I noticed phone calls, messages, and WiFi worked but when I turned my Mobile Data on, It did not work even though it showed it was on. If your issue has not been resolved, I suggest you check this out - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540998.

Hi, so... there are bunch of links and downloads on that page... i do have the latest bootloader and modem... can you tell me what you think i should [try to] update to make the mobile data work? BTW, at least on my phone, the mobile data icon doesn't even show. Not even 3G or whatever... thanks for your help.

geesedude

May 1, 2013
New York
RESOLVED!

Ugh. So after countless flashes, resets and wipes, turns out that PTEL needed to do a Data RESET on their end. So much misery for such a simple solution that they could have given me. If you're a PlatinumTel user, and this may apply to many other providers, please try telling them to reset their data service for you before trying anything else. Hopefully you won't go through the misery and time wasted that i have gone through.:cyclops:

mr_legolas

Jan 30, 2014
Ugh. So after countless flashes, resets and wipes, turns out that PTEL needed to do a Data RESET on their end. So much misery for such a simple solution that they could have given me. If you're a PlatinumTel user, and this may apply to many other providers, please try telling them to reset their data service for you before trying anything else. Hopefully you won't go through the misery and time wasted that i have gone through.:cyclops:

good for ya!

internethuman

Mar 22, 2014
Hi, so... there are bunch of links and downloads on that page... i do have the latest bootloader and modem... can you tell me what you think i should [try to] update to make the mobile data work? BTW, at least on my phone, the mobile data icon doesn't even show. Not even 3G or whatever... thanks for your help.
All of them are stock but I personally chose upndwn4par - Full - Features : Odexed, Rooted, Knox Removed because I really didn't know what the other ones did. (PLEASE NOTE : Neither the developer or I are responsible if you brick, or mess up your phone! This also deletes everything on your phone so do backup if you want to save your important files.) When it finished downloading, I put the file on my phone's internal storage (SD card works too) then went into recovery mode using TWRP and installed the rom onto my phone, then while I was still on TWRP, I deleted the cache and data, it then reboot and then I had to set up my phone as if I had just bought it.

q2n

Jun 4, 2010
PTEL fix for no data connection, broken, not working

THIS NEEDS TO BE PROCLAIMED!

PTEL locked us out of voice once before, which also required a reset. That was also with a phone change so maybe a security measure? Never thought about it happening with data.

So many hours wasted.

On calling, the PTEL CSR first reset the data, then helped with a new APN. Note that even with the correct settings in an existing APN and the data connection freshly reset, the phone (SGN3) refused to connect, even after a reset. Added APNs had to be deleted, then a new one created, which then connected immediately. (Pissed and happy at once.)

Thanks, @geesedude, for this info; wished I'd found it sooner. (Have to stop assuming that if it doesn't work, must be something I'VE done.)

Reactions: Jonathan_A

geesedude

May 1, 2013
New York
Glad that the information helped you. Yeah, i mean... since we mess around with our phones, we always first assume it's something we did, which really can't be blamed for thinking that way. Like you, i searched the web for a solution and it was out of desperation that i called ptel, and the CSR happened to suggest it (they were out of ideas, too), and it happened to be the solution. Not sure why they have to do this in the first place, but i am guessing that there are stricter guidelines from TMobile for the MVNOs, and they have to do some things manually. At least now i know to contact them first before spending hours searching for something that may not exist!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RESOLVED!

PTEL fix for no data connection, broken, not working

THIS NEEDS TO BE PROCLAIMED!

PTEL locked us out of voice once before, which also required a reset. That was also with a phone change so maybe a security measure? Never thought about it happening with data.

So many hours wasted.

On calling, the PTEL CSR first reset the data, then helped with a new APN. Note that even with the correct settings in an existing APN and the data connection freshly reset, the phone (SGN3) refused to connect, even after a reset. Added APNs had to be deleted, then a new one created, which then connected immediately. (Pissed and happy at once.)

Thanks, @geesedude, for this info; wished I'd found it sooner. (Have to stop assuming that if it doesn't work, must be something I'VE done.)