Can't clear unread SMS counter

Search This thread

sbddude

Aug 24, 2007
Santa Clara, CA
I have 2 unread SMS showing in the slide2unlock screen and on the SPB shell icon. I deleted ALL of the SMS messages (drafts, outbox, etc. too). Yet still it shows 2 unread. I have threaded SMS installed. Is there a way to clear the unread messages?

johnnycross22

Sep 30, 2007
I had that problem as well with threaded sms, even though i had gone into the program and read the texts the htc home plugin and the threaded sms today plugin still told me I had 3 sms messages waiting for me. I couldn't get rid of it until the next day someone else texted me, then the popup notification window came up telling me I had 4 texts, I clicked the option "save as read" (or maybe it was dismiss) and they all went away, see if you can get someone to text you and try that maybe?

Last edited:

bigray327

May 18, 2006
Houston
I've had this happen too. I fixed it by uninstalling the threaded SMS application, then when I went into the stock SMS app, I saw an unread text message that the threaded app didn't know about. I think it has to do with installing the threaded SMS application when you have one or more unread texts. Who knows. Anyway, delete it, reinstall, and that should fix it.

johnnycross22

Sep 30, 2007
there should still be a way to access the default text messaging folder even if you have threaded sms installed, too bad that option doesn't seem to be included (that i've seen) with any threaded progs I've seen yet. Hopefully the uninstall works for you.

mrja22

Mar 24, 2006
my problem is a little different.
i am using the default messaging app and it tells me I have one unread message.
i have selected ALL messages and set to "mark all as unread". at this point it shows "126 messages, 127 unread".

anyone know how i can fix this....?

Thanks

karpik

Mar 1, 2007
Warsaw / Jabłonna
my problem is a little different.
i am using the default messaging app and it tells me I have one unread message.
i have selected ALL messages and set to "mark all as unread". at this point it shows "126 messages, 127 unread".

anyone know how i can fix this....?

Thanks

I have the same problem on my Kaiser (wm6 htc shipped). I'm using default messaging app and it happens on HTC Home plugin and in msg app in "Select account" screen and on folder change screen (counter shows "1" next to "Inbox" even if i delete all messages from all folders)

It doesn't happen on SPB Diary plugin (here counter works ok) and also when I don't have any new messages, there isn't any "notification"/"new msg icon" on wm top bar (next to the Start button).

I know it is not Kaiser forum and this thread is little bit old, but I was looking for some fix across all xda-dev site and the only one thread i found is this.

If someone knows how to fix my problem (without making Hard Reset) it would be great :D

corwinb

Nov 28, 2006
The only way I have been able to fix unread count since I am operating the OEM 6.1 threaded sms is to open up reg editor HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\

Then change from SMSAvailable from 1 to 0, Close out the reg editor and select messages then go through and read the text message that is in bold(has not been read).

After this go back into reg editor adn go back to above value and change back from 0 to 1 and should be back in business. I may have to do this once a month due to a hung message. this always fixes it. Not sure if this will work for the folks using Cody's Threaded. I believe that it will, due to making the messages show up under the normal messaging folder.

Let me know if this works for you...it always works for me.

Bulls-eye1

Aug 21, 2006
Venlo
androidworld.nl
I have the same problem on my Kaiser (wm6 htc shipped). I'm using default messaging app and it happens on HTC Home plugin and in msg app in "Select account" screen and on folder change screen (counter shows "1" next to "Inbox" even if i delete all messages from all folders)

It doesn't happen on SPB Diary plugin (here counter works ok) and also when I don't have any new messages, there isn't any "notification"/"new msg icon" on wm top bar (next to the Start button).

I know it is not Kaiser forum and this thread is little bit old, but I was looking for some fix across all xda-dev site and the only one thread i found is this.

If someone knows how to fix my problem (without making Hard Reset) it would be great :D

Search for "fixunreadcount".

Oct 10, 2008
I am having HTC Touch(GSM) 128MB ROM & 64 MB SDRAM UNLOCKED(originall bought from UK, having Orange Connection). Recently I was fidling my device with phm registry editor, and some how what happend I dont know, But now the new sms counter which displays on the home screen tabs is not incrementing. If any new sms comes the counter remains '0'. Can ANY ONE please help. One more thing is there any ROM update for my set?

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
I have had this issue again in the last two days after flashing Ark_N's latest ROM for TP2.

What I have done just now is tap on the sms icon/button, tapped "all messages" text that appeared after tapping the sms icon/button, tap "menu", selected "settings", selected "traditional mode", scrolled down the messages till I came to a text message that was unread (bold type), read it by selecting it.

After that, I selected the "menu" button, selected "settings", then "conversation mode", "back", and pressed the "home" button (hardware button). And guess what? the issue was gone.

Hope this helps.

tilted1

Aug 9, 2008
The only way I have been able to fix unread count since I am operating the OEM 6.1 threaded sms is to open up reg editor HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\

Then change from SMSAvailable from 1 to 0, Close out the reg editor and select messages then go through and read the text message that is in bold(has not been read).

After this go back into reg editor adn go back to above value and change back from 0 to 1 and should be back in business. I may have to do this once a month due to a hung message. this always fixes it. Not sure if this will work for the folks using Cody's Threaded. I believe that it will, due to making the messages show up under the normal messaging folder.

Let me know if this works for you...it always works for me.

worked for me! Thank you corwinb :)