Unlock "Custom" Icon at initial boot

Search This thread
Feb 25, 2012
Apologies for not actually being a helpful contributor to the actual problem of unlocking the Verizon Galaxy S3 bootloader, but I came across this one time after booting my phone after replacing the battery

20120813002112.jpg

The Samsung logo, with an icon of an unlocked padlock, and the word "Custom" (this is the very first boot screen, before the boot animation and the Galaxy S3 logo), so it's the bootloader screen.

The only way I can replicate this is by taking out the battery and replacing it. Simply rebooting the phone does not show the icon. I suppose this could have been due to one of three things:

(all as directed by http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885 for reference )
flashing the rooted boot image using Odin
installed custom Clockworkmod recovery
flashed custom boot image

Everything still boots properly, I don't have a brick. Is anyone else experiencing this that perhaps didn't follow these three steps?

TechSavvy2

Sep 26, 2011
A lot of people have been reporting this. Sometimes its completely random, sometimes can be replicated. Seems to be related to recovery image afaik, however some have reported being 100% bone stock and getting it. Its absolutely nothing to worry about.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 25, 2012
I wasn't worrying about it, as I said, the phone still boots completely fine, I was wondering if it was indicative of something unusual with the bootloader (such as the impossible chance of it actually being unlocked) or if it was reported by a large number of users.

Jul 18, 2012
Phoenix
I literally just saw that on my phone for the first time about 2 hours ago..... im having major issues right now from deleting busybox i guess the "wrong way"... this is my first time posting on this site, though i have read it for years, anyones help or advice would be appreciated......

I came across this image when i would hold the power button then hit restart and that image came up.... only after i attemped to install chainfire 3D and deleting busybox...

Please help me out my brothers n sisters

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1830457

Last edited:

Rolo42

Aug 4, 2012
Greensboro, NC
zobe1j2rbo6.ting.com
I have it also.

- Installing VRALG1 rooted alone won't trigger it--in fact, I wipe, flash that, reboot to clear the "Custom" tripwire
- Installing NoSympathy VRALG1 deodexed triggered it for me, twice
- Installing blueui with metamorph triggered it (cf. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30085423)
- Installing BlueICSFull.zip (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775235) plus some other action (like configuring/using e-mail, not sure, installing some normal app) triggered it for me

Other than giving VZW an [illegal] excuse to void your warranty, I haven't seen an issue with it.

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
I've seen this after a battery pulls. I'm on my 2nd GSIII and I was worried they wouldn't refund the amount to me if that showed up.

sethwalters

May 5, 2010
Kingsport, TN
I rooted and flashed the Synergy Rom on my GSIII, as well as my fiancee's and my brothers. My phone was the only one to display this custom lock icon (randomly). I'm pretty sure it had something to do with flashing the cwm touch, then the cwm6. To fix it, I read users gained success just by wiping cache and dalvik, but it didn't work. So I tried flashing the stock recovery instead (hearing it's a recovery issue that 'throws' some sort of flag). It didn't fix the issue. I even ODIN'd back to stock, and it still didn't fix the issue. Everything I tried didn't work.

However, after I went ahead and re-rooted using the root66 method, then installing cwm touch, and then booting into recovery, wiping system, data, cache, dalvik, performing a factor data reset, and then installing the Synergy rom (I used 1.6), (ASSUMING I was just going to have to deal with the custom lock icon forever).... it somehow magically fixed itself.

Hope that helps. Ever since then, it's worked just fine, no custom lock icon. Since then, I've booted into cwm touch, wipe cache/dalvik, and have even updated to the newest Synergy (1.7), and it's remained just fine. :)

Hope this helps.

Vorfidus

Jul 9, 2012
Richmond, VA
I froze the SysScope process. I don't get the custom padlock at boot, but because that process can no longer communicate with the phone I do have phone status as modified.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Broadley1

Apr 12, 2012
I found that I triggered it by changing cpu settings, doing a recovery or basically changing any system setting. I cured it by flashing stock recovery, wiping data and cache. Then I rooted again but didn't change anything and still no padlock.:thumbup::D

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
I found that I triggered it by changing cpu settings, doing a recovery or basically changing any system setting. I cured it by flashing stock recovery, wiping data and cache. Then I rooted again but didn't change anything and still no padlock.:thumbup::D

I have the same problem as well. By any chance was everyone here with the problem running TWRP as their recovery?

pyrite123

Aug 27, 2013
Apologies for bumping an old thread....

I never had this screen before until I bought an extended battery from Gorilla Gadgets and as soon as I started using it I started getting that screen...

I did flash the Verizon stock (with root) but even then it never showed this screen until the moment I used the battery.
Does this void the warranty?

shopman59

Sep 15, 2011
Casual root

I just did the casual ver. 795b root last night so I could stay on 4.1.2 for right now and I have this custom and unlock pic on the Samsung screen not sheer if I should do something or not?????? help if you have any ideas :confused:

Last edited:

XXDroidZillaXX

Mar 15, 2013

How did you flash stock recovery?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Seks

Jan 30, 2012
NJ
I get this and then my phone has a yellow triangle of death... I still can't figure out how to fix this as I've tried JOdin on my macbook pro with stock flash's and pit files that are corrupt apparently. Anyone else know what I can do to debrick this? I've checked the other brick posts and nothing ;\

AaronRose77

Sep 30, 2010
I believe this is caused by KNOX Security being triggered - which is irreparable

I think this indicates KNOX security was triggered and therefore your phone is no longer "pure". I don't know exactly what KNOX does, but I believe it burns a fuse in your phone that locks to either a 1 or a 0 - and once it's triggered, it can't be undone.

All of this is speculation though, I suggest looking up KNOX security and see what the experts say. This happened to me a few years ago and at the time, there was no fix. I'm sure someone found a way around it by now - or at least a way to prevent or remove it completely.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it, so maybe this will help someone else.

It seems like one of the reasons that the custom padlock bootloader image shows up is when the device is rooted. To remove the custom padlock in that case, simply remove root from the device and reboot twice as explained here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9aos0xBxHo

this isn't accurate at all. It looks for certain checksums that fail. It's possible to have root and no padlock icon even on later OS's.(6.0+ would likely trigger a icon but to get 6.0 on the S3 you need a dev bootloader anyway like mine)

Please do NOT bump old threads especially when you are bringing potentially wrong information.

to others, This phone doesn't have hardware KNOX flags like newer phones, and as such, it's irrelevant to tripping the KNOX flag fuse.

Reflashing your aboot can solve the issue otherwise reflash boot.img and system.img and it should go away