Are we supposed to install busybox after rooting?

Search This thread

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
I unlocked and rooted N5 as soon as I got it way back when but I don't recall if I ever installed busybox. I wiped my device to install the 4.4.3 update since one of my files/folders was altered from stickmount. I just installed TWRP and flashed supersu but now I am wondering if I need to install busybox?

I have the pro (paid version) already so not an issue of buying it, running stock rom and kernel for now just custom recovery and root.

Thanks

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
You don't need busybox unless some of your apps require it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Utacka

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 19, 2012
Stockholm
www.utacka.se
BusyBox combines tiny versions of many common UNIX utilities into a single small executable. It provides replacements for most of the utilities you usually find in GNU fileutils, shellutils, etc. The utilities in BusyBox generally have fewer options than their full-featured GNU cousins; however, the options that are included provide the expected functionality and behave very much like their GNU counterparts.

If you have a root app that need BusyBox to function then yes you need it. Most root apps I have on my phone have their own counterpart already imbedded in the apps, for example Titanium Backup, which is why it works without BusyBox.

Also most custom roms already have busybox included as standard. BusyBox might be needed on Stock, only if you have a root app that needs it to function.

Btw it wont hurt you to install it if you are unsure if any of your app requires it ;)

Skickat från min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Raistlin1

Oct 1, 2010
Thanks all, I wasn't sure but now at least I know.

I know many roms already include it but I am running stock right now.