xyboard with GSM/HSPA

Search This thread

rweb

Mar 21, 2008
Dear xyboard owners,

now that it is rooted (thanks a bunch, Dan!):
I'd like to hear about succesful use with GSM/HSPA and foreign (non-Verizon) SIM card. If someone succesfully did it, please report here. Thanks!

PS: I also would appreciate a dedicated xyboard / Xoom 2 section.

Last edited:

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
Dear xyboard owners,

I'd like to hear about succesful use with GSM/HSPA and foreign (non-Verizon) SIM card. If someone succesfully did it, please report here. Thanks!

Xyboard only has LTE and CDMA, you can't GSM/HSPA no matter what sim you use.

jakemate2004

Dec 10, 2008
Dear xyboard owners,

do you try unlock device via sim-unlock service???

I have a xyboard 8.2 and information for android dev is poor... not dedidate forum... only a root method...

rweb

Mar 21, 2008
No, I don't own an xyboard. I asked because I considered to buy one, given it would work under GSM with a foreign SIM.
But in the meantime, I chose to buy a Xoom 2.

big ach

Sep 14, 2006
Florida!
The Droid xyboard definitely has both cdma and gsm radios, this has been confirmed by Motorola countless times.

So, I went ahead and grabbed my wife's at&t micro Sim from her iPhone and plugged it into my xyboard (i'm not rooted). First it rebooted, as it always does when a new Sim card is inserted, then it told me, Sim card from unknown source, I switched the network mode to gsm/umts, and it detected that it was an at&t Sim as all the at&t access points were automatically listed, but it still would not work, there were no bars listed even.
This leads me to believe that its definitely Sim locked by Verizon and would probably require a code from them to carrier unlock!

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 2 with AT&T 4G

mdcykkk9

Mar 21, 2009
Why you accepting as consumers , all those limitations from your carriers on how you will you your device in USA ? I will never understand

Sent from my XOOM 2 ME using Tapatalk

pete3000

Jul 4, 2008
US Law forces devices to be unlocked

As of Feb 2014, US federal law allows tablets to be unlocked. we need to figure out how to get this done.. I'm contacting a number of sources to see what I need to do. I want to use mine on the data share plan of AT&T. Stay tuned.

http://www.fcc.gov/device-unlocking-faq

according to Motorola support " manufacturers we do not have access to subsidy lock codes (aka unlock codes) due to contractual policies with the carriers. " So I'm going to Verizon now..

Dear xyboard owners,

Last edited: