Galaxy S I9000 gps issues

Search This thread

andershauch

Jan 31, 2011
Ok guys. I am noob. Running 2.3.4. Loving It. But why oh why does the gps suck so bad. It is slow and when it finally connects, it is not very accurate. What should I do? I dont wanna buy another device to go running... Hope you can help?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
Which Country are you from Coz I think you. Have installed 2.3.4 manually (that is the europe version) and you are from a different country so GPS is slow and laggish !

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

midikarma

Aug 9, 2011
flash another modem i guess.. try zsjpg, many said it was very good midem...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

w98seeng

Oct 16, 2009
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
I am in Canada and have had lousy GPS performance from the start. I flashed JVR with KG3 (Bell) modem and CSC. GPS works great.

I have tried different ROMs from stock to far from stock and different ROMs act differently on GPS performance.

Ian

Marceli67

Nov 17, 2009
It is slow and when it finally connects, it is not very accurate.
Sorry to say but IMHO i9000 GPS is bad. You can make some settings mods to get faster fix but that's all. It is somehow working when you have good sats view (it reports good signal with fix from enough number of sats) but when for ex. driving trough inferior sat signal area (streets surrounded by tall buildings, etc.) you are out of luck. Fix position goes to hell.
I've experimented with my old wm phone, i780. It has not so good Qualcom GPS One chipset and I managed to send it's fix using BT to i9000. Guess what? It was ok! Sat fix was reported in i9000 as a poor accuracy but in fact it was ok and stable while using it with maps applications. Go figure! Old, bad i780 GPS shows better then "I can see more satellites with stronger signal and I have better accuracy" i9000 build in GPS.
After this test I connected external BT GPS on MTK chipset. I have to wait ~30 second for fix but after that I have no nasty surprises driving my car through "canyon" streets.

taepodong1101

Jul 22, 2011
Its got nothing to do with the ROMs. I9000 is well known for its ****ty GPS.

http : / / en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S#Android_2.3_upgrade

elhennig

Feb 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
Fairphone 4
Its got nothing to do with the ROMs. I9000 is well known for its ****ty GPS.

:confused:

Would you share with us, where you got this wisdom from?

My SGS works perfectly well regarding GPS performance for more than 6 months now not depending on my current location: US west coast and Hawaii it worked great as well as in Italy and various parts of Germany. Fix is usually the within seconds (presuming free sight to the sky). Also the android version had no influence: I started with stock 2.2, upgrading to various 2.2.1, 2.3.3, 2.3.4 and now 2.3.5 (also with different custom kernels).

Where and when did you having GPS problems get your SGS? Maybe there is batch with faulty soldered GPS antennas. However, I don't see a reason why the SGS should have a bad GPS performance in general.