New Windows Phone Tango Features and Changes

Search This thread

EgoMaximus

Mar 14, 2010
Hi guys,

With the leak of Windows Phone Tango dump, let's make a list of newly discovered features :)

Please include screenshots if possible.

----------------------
----------------------

Thank you HD2Owner for this world first Tango Rom.

TANGO 8773 have 8 background tasks + main Tiles.

VwsbO.jpg

8 background tasks memory in use. (seems no more than 256mb?)

32Ukn.jpg

8773 vs 8107 boot(no task) memory in use.(seems less than mango 8107)

yLTaK.jpg

and some changes (messaging/maps setting)

whwOr.jpg

HJVXn.jpg

In Tango Unlocked Emulator preview that location Icon seems not yet.

CfG9E.jpg

Thanks to eric1204 for the list.

Source: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23600141&postcount=2098

Last edited:

mahesham22

Jun 30, 2008
Surat
How about languages?

As all are aware, tango build will support 120 languages.

Does any one have the list of languages supported by tango?

I am just curious about Indian languages.. (which or any will be supported)

Aslo not sure how they will be supported?
- Will it include UI in those languages
- Or only tango will be able to render apps and websites developed in those languages

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
How is IE9? Is the promised "Find on Page" feature back? Also did they add a tabs button? Or do we really have to wait a full year for this?

Anyway the other changes in Tango are minor bt very welcomed, certainly the rotation of the maps and the 8 multitask cards.

djdurance

May 31, 2005
Are there any changes in the setting... specifically ability to setup mms with unlocked devices? Also curious if there is the ability to leave wifi on during "sleep" mode (screen off).

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
My phone has had those maps settings for a long time now... unless you are talking about the fact that yours is missing the 'tap to read directions' setting.

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
Is there a heading pointer in the maps app in Tango, like on every other phone. I can't use WP7 as a GPS device because I make wrong turns due to not knowing which way I'm facing on the map in unfamiliar places.

Still need to tap while navigating? Playing with your phone while driving is now illegal here and they can pull you over for it even if you've done nothing else wrong...

Can you send video off the device in eMail or MMS yet?

Is there a URL auto-shortening for SkyDrive links sent yet?

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
Is there a heading pointer in the maps app in Tango, like on every other phone. I can't use WP7 as a GPS device because I make wrong turns due to not knowing which way I'm facing on the map in unfamiliar places.

Still need to tap while navigating? Playing with your phone while driving is now illegal here and they can pull you over for it even if you've done nothing else wrong...

Can you send video off the device in eMail or MMS yet?

Is there a URL auto-shortening for SkyDrive links sent yet?

There are 3rd party GPS apps that do that. Same as all other OS's.

See above...

MMS yes, don't know about Email.

::Shrugs:: & don't care. It'll be hard integrated into the OS. Why would you need the URL's?

P.S. Here we go again... ::sigh::

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
Tabs button is already present in Mango under "..."

of course but I mean a button not a menu item, like in pre mango. Since there were a lot of complaints about the lack of a tabs button and missing "find on page". I would like to know if users will have to wait for a year for a feature to come back if MS decides to take it out against the will of the public.

About the maps, does it utilize the compass and does rotation now works while walking? Or does it still only works when navigating? This should not require a third party app imo.

bc3tech

Jun 4, 2011
Seattle, WA
i'm really not looking forward to tombstoning being back. I wonder if they'll just make it so it's done on devices w/ <=256mb RAM? that'd be fine w/ me... Fast app switching is so freaking handy when doing serious multitasking, i do not want to see it go!

djdurance

May 31, 2005
i'm really not looking forward to tombstoning being back. I wonder if they'll just make it so it's done on devices w/ <=256mb RAM? that'd be fine w/ me... Fast app switching is so freaking handy when doing serious multitasking, i do not want to see it go!

Tombstoning will only happen on devices with 256MB Ram. Other devices will be able to continue to use the regular method of multitasking.

StevieBallz

Feb 13, 2010
Linz
Apps will tombstone when they are far enough back in the back stack and the phone runs low on memory. So if you have an App consuming the maximum 90 MB allowed on 256 MB devices and it gets pushed back it tombstones immediately when a new App starts.

But if the first App useses only 8 MB and all the others as well you get to start ~ 10 Apps before the first gets thrown out of memory and therefore has to be tombstoned.

On regular devices it is the same but they have more time before they run out of memory (unless there's lots of background tasks consuming memory as well but they are rather limited in that regard (aside from the resource intensive task which only runs while on charging power).

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
The built in app auto rotates the map as you navigate. While walking or driving. This is already in there from Mango.

Yes I know, I thought for a second they implemented rotation by the compass in the maps app, without the need to actually navigate, like iOS has. That when you open the app it will rotate in the direction you are pointing it to. Currently the maps app is just static if you dont navigate.

No IE changes?

Ryken100

Jan 21, 2011
Multitasking

Does it still have multiple instances of the same app while multitasking? For instance, do the settings still take up multiple windows? It would be great to know that an app I was previously running won't be knocked off the list because the messaging app is open in like 4 different windows.

geoken

Jun 6, 2009
GTA
Does it still have multiple instances of the same app while multitasking? For instance, do the settings still take up multiple windows? It would be great to know that an app I was previously running won't be knocked off the list because the messaging app is open in like 4 different windows.

This is so annoying. It also happens with browser tabs. Open a couple of tabs while browsing and an app gets knocked off the list.

Top Liked Posts