OTA official update recieved 10/05/12

Search This thread

olavnn

Jul 14, 2011
Hi!
Recieved OTA, official update today. Europe. Do not have the details, as i updated it in a hurry. Still same sense/android version. It was minor (about 6mb) "performance" update.

Anyone have any details on this?

EDIT: The update is version 2.42.405.4

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

Last edited:

aliasi11

Hi!
Recieved OTA, official update today. Europe. Do not have the details, as i updated it in a hurry. Still same sense/android version. It was minor (about 6mb) "performance" update.

Anyone have any details on this?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

same for me. this the first time i received update while rooted. i downloaded that small update but still did not run it beacuse i am afraid of having S-ON.

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
The cynic in me think that this may satisfy various insane Apple vs Android things rather than be of any use.

Little sad its not a better version of Android, like 2.3.5.. That would have been nice. I'm happy with Sense 2.1 though.

qwasson

Mar 6, 2009
Update Archive

I've just got this update, and uploaded it here:

www_filedropper_com/otavisiongingerbreadshtcwwe2424054-2424052release258556lmz8pa872xa8ocgl

I can't post it as a link to it as I'm a noob. Oh well.

Reactions: utx

moolash

Mar 10, 2009
thanks

It is clearly a Gingerbread update.
My assumption is, it is in the best case Sense 3.5. Maybe not even that

veesix

Jul 25, 2010
Bari
It's still Android 2.3.3 and Sense 2.1
But I think it's a really useful update, in my case I am not having Sense restarts anymore (well, just one, after closing Temple Run). The closing app/going back to homescreen process looks really more fluid now.

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
I'm just root and S-off on 2.3 HTC ROM and installation failed.

Through recovery?

I've now had a look through the update.zip and it seems to patch a fair few system apps as well as firmware.zip which contains boot.img, rcdata.img and recovery.img. I'd suggest if these were successfully flashed we'd loose root and S-OFF as well as recovery (CWM or 4EXT).

I'm still really not sure what this update is about..

olavnn

Jul 14, 2011
I have a question. Does this update eliminates resetting Sense?

I have not seen the changelog, but on mine its almost gone. It happens less often after the update, in my opinion. And i also feel its running abit smoother. That might be a placebo effect:rolleyes:

I have another bug, gallery not updating new pictures, so have to run sd scan to refresh it. The update did not fix this.

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
I've seen the error message in CWM when i were pressed POWER because i were blocked.

I'd imagine because the certificates to flash have changed... I'm not too hot on Android hacking but depending on how you got root, the certs probably got changed or invalidated. It also looks like it flashes a new kernel which may part of the issue.

However, if you've flashed something like Unity v10 like I have, its still a higher version of kernel provided in the update!

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

I have not seen the changelog, but on mine its almost gone. It happens less often after the update, in my opinion. And i also feel its running abit smoother. That might be a placebo effect:rolleyes:

I've not really seen the launcher reload issue at all before.. I've seen apps closed due to low RAM but the system stays rather stable, killing background apps. Maybe they've been playing with the figures from the Supercharger Mod which tweaks this very thing.

I have another bug, gallery not updating new pictures, so have to run sd scan to refresh it. The update did not fix this.
I've never had this bug.. on 2.42.405.2

Last edited:

rschroed

Sep 1, 2006
I was offered the update today, and I installed it on my stock Gingerbread Desire Z. As far as I can see nothing much changed, but Windows 7 doesn't seem to find the device anymore when trying to connect it as USB mass storage device. Anyone else seeing this, or could I be having some other problem here?

Cheers,
Rob

utx

Apr 15, 2012
Prague
www.penguin.cz
I just succeeded with the update on my rooted system.

Here is what can succeed for people with stock system, just with superuser+busybox installed.

Note that this update will unroot, so you have to re-install SuperUser ZIP package from the recovery menu.

These commands are needed on Linux system with root privileges (I a not sure, whether update images are UID sensitive.)

Code:
#!/bin/sh
rm -f update.zip
mkdir update
cd update
unzip -XK ../OTA_Vision_Gingerbread_S_HTC_WWE_2.42.405.4-2.42.405.2_release_258556lmz8pa872xa8ocgl.zip
mkdir firmware
cd firmware
unzip ../firmware.zip
rm recovery.img
#rm rcdata.img (this part is not needed, most people leave radio and rcdata in random state during the rooting process, this just sets it to value for WWE phones)
rm ../firmware.zip
zip -r ../firmware.zip *
cd ..
rm -r firmware
zip -r ../update.zip *
cd ..
rm -r update

Then flash update.zip from the recovery menu, and then the upper mentioned SuperUser package.

(Note: Not verified! I forgot to add firmware.zip to the image, so I needed to flash system.img separately as PC10IMG.zip.)

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

If there is anybody with unchanged and unrooted stock system, then it would be nice to provide patched system.img as a strart point for modders.

Steps to do it. (It should be safe.)

1. Have at least 600 MB on the sdcard mounted on the phone (and not on computer).

2. Get fre3vo from the downgrade howto

Run this on your machine with adb:

Code:
adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/fre3vo
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fre3vo -debug -start FAA90000 -end FFFFFFFF
# Exploit should succeed.
adb shell
# You should get # prompt here
cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 >/sdcard/system.img
rm /data/local/tmp/fre3vo

Then reboot for dropping the temp root and post system.img somewhere for others.

Note: It is safe to apply this vendor update even if you plan to root sometimes in future. This update did not patch the security hole exploited by fre3vo, so this utility still works on HTC_WWE_2.42.405.4.

@qwasson: How did you get the file you posted?

Top Liked Posts