[Q] Need help with a soft brick (ODIN doesn't work)

Search This thread

aedv

Oct 3, 2010
I have been researching this problem for a while now and I have read all sorts of threads from forums in every corner of the Internet, but I'm still completely stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What I have is a SCH-i535 Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (the model # behind the battery actually says SCH-i535V). It belonged to a friend of mine who announced he would be going "Office Space" on it after it stopped functioning. Seeing an opportunity, I asked if I could have it. This friend used his phone solely for regular Internet browsing, texting and email. He never flashed anything custom and it has never been rooted. As of this writing, download mode reports:

Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System status: Official
Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable

For the record, I don't know any details about the exact version of Android the phone ran before it failed (but I'm operating under the assumption that it ran 4.1.2).

When I first received the phone, it wouldn't get past the "Samsung Galaxy S III" boot screen. It also will not boot into recovery. It will, however, boot into download mode. Therefore, I booted it into download mode, hooked it up to Odin 3.09, downloaded the latest stock firmware from sammobile, and attempted to flash via Odin. Every time I try to do this via Odin 3.09 or 3.07, Odin hangs on the "Initializing" step and does nothing. Samsung drivers are installed, and Odin definitely recognizes the device.

I began researching and came across the Sudden Death Syndrome thread here, which is caused by eMMC failure. My symptoms sounded like the "Half SDS" symptoms in that thread (You cannot boot into android or recovery. It fails at the boot screen, but the screen does turn on none-the-less. The only; thing you can do is top boot into Download mode.). However, I believe SDS affects only the international versions of the SGS3, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thus, I wrote SDS off.

Next, I attempted to use Kies to restore the phone. Using Kies, I used the firmware upgrade/recovery tool. It went through its thing, asked for my model number and IMEI, then downloaded the proper firmware. When it came time to install, however, it told me that it could not communicate with my device. Since then, when I power the phone on, instead of the Samsung boot screen, it now displays "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." Download mode still works, however.

After reading about Odin issues, I tries using older versions of Odin. When I tried to flash the stock firmware using Odin 3.04, rather than hang on "initializing" like the later versions, 3.04 specifically says that there is no PIT partition. Ah, another clue! So I went in search of what the hell this means. By the way, I also tried different USB cables, different computers, different USB ports, popping the battery in and out, standing on one leg and clucking like a chicken, sacrificing a virgin, you name it. After trying Kies, I uninstalled it, and I double checked task manager. Kies is not running the background during my Odin attempts.

I finally found a 16GB PIT file for the SCH-i535 and downloaded it. I loaded it in Odin along with the "re-partition" option checked, and that's also a no go. The write just fails without any particular explanation. Just says "Complete(Write) operation failed. All threads completed (succeed 0 / failed 1). I even tried Odin 1.85, but same result.

I looked into JTAG, but that appears to be necessary if the phone is completely unresponsive and all it does is get you back into download mode. Well, I already have download mode, I just can't do anything with it. This leads me to believe my device is soft bricked, and not hard bricked.

I also followed a couple of tutorials that incorporate flashing bootchains using Odin (like the one here), but Odin wouldn't flash those either.

TL;DR version: ODIN won't write anything to my phone in download mode, and Kies can't do anything either.

I'm at the end of my rope. Short of an actual eMMC failure, I can't see any reason why this phone would be permanently bricked or why ODIN refuses to cooperate. Can anyone suggest anything?

Reactions: samsmalls

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
That certainly is cause to go "Office Space" on it. I applaud your patience. However, I do not believe you are experiencing a Hard Brick. It certainly is frustrating that ODIN is not cooperating, but if it were Hard Bricked, I don't believe Download Mode would work. As far as flashing a pit file, aren't these included in Official ODIN firmware files?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
After I updated to 4.3 Odin wouldn't flash anything other than one 4.0.4 root66 tar. Perhaps you upgraded to 4.3 and that is why you are having troubles.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011

steinerbombz

Jan 10, 2014
Post everything that you see in download mode

Literally, everything the OP did was what I did. It gets stuck at initialization every time.

PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warranty Bit: 0
BOOTLOADER AP SWREV: 1

Never rooted. Just doesn't boot anymore.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Literally, everything the OP did was what I did. It gets stuck at initialization every time.

PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Never rooted. Just doesn't boot anymore.

What file did you flash in Odin because you need to Odin flash the 4.3 VRUCML1 image with Odin if your phone can still turn on.

Edit: Those last two lines inform me that you are on 4.3 OTA.

steinerbombz

Jan 10, 2014
What file did you flash in Odin because you need to Odin flash the 4.3 VRUCML1 image with Odin if your phone can still turn on.

Edit: Those last two lines inform me that you are on 4.3 OTA.

Thanks, I had no idea what this thing needed. I tried stock.vzw_root66.tar and the guide here: androidayos.com/2012/09/19/fix-bricked-galaxy-s3-i535-verizon-unbrick-and-restore-guide/[/url]

None of them seemed to work. Just like the OP said, I got this phone from a friend before he went "Office Space - Die MOFO" on this.

I'm downloading the image you suggested right now and seeing if that will work. I will post results.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Thanks, I had no idea what this thing needed. I tried stock.vzw_root66.tar and the guide here: androidayos.com/2012/09/19/fix-bricked-galaxy-s3-i535-verizon-unbrick-and-restore-guide/[/url]

None of them seemed to work. Just like the OP said, I got this phone from a friend before he went "Office Space - Die MOFO" on this.

I'm downloading the image you suggested right now and seeing if that will work. I will post results.

No problem, the pleasure is all @ThePagel since he was the one who found the 4.3 stock image. Show him some love if this all works out for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: ThePagel

steinerbombz

Jan 10, 2014
No problem, the pleasure is all @ThePagel since he was the one who found the 4.3 stock image. Show him some love if this all works out for you.

Same thing, here is the log:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..

Then it just gets stuck.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Same thing, here is the log:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..

Then it just gets stuck.

If I try ODIN 1.85:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> There is no PIT partition.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

steinerbombz

Jan 10, 2014
Try the steps posted in the second to last post by rabidoyster. Looks like they were able to get around it somehow with a pit file.

I saw that, I tried that too with all different versions of ODIN.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.

Seems that 1.85 is more verbose than 3.09 showing more progress than getting stuck at Initialization.

maethelvin

Jan 22, 2014
I am having the same problem, too. Odin recognizes my phone but does nothing. Whatever I try, after some time stuck at 'get pit for mapping' I get 'complete (write) operations failed' error. Tried all Odin versions, cables, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, still no use. Help us! :rolleyes:

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I saw that, I tried that too with all different versions of ODIN.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.

Seems that 1.85 is more verbose than 3.09 showing more progress than getting stuck at Initialization.

I am having the same problem, too. Odin recognizes my phone but does nothing. Whatever I try, after some time stuck at 'get pit for mapIng' I get 'complete (write) operations failed' error. Tried all Odin versions, cables, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, still no use. Help us! :rolleyes:

You two should try jodin3. It will work for windows if you have java installed. Check the md5 outside of odin /jodin3 for the vrucml1 tar ball before just in case you have a bad download. In case you missed it the link for jodin3 is at the top end of the soft debrick guide.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

You can also try heimdall but it can be a pain because you need to extract everything from the tarball and add it in one by one. You also need to use a separate program to select the driver.

phantomzm

Jul 15, 2014
You two should try jodin3. It will work for windows if you have java installed. Check the md5 outside of odin /jodin3 for the vrucml1 tar ball before just in case you have a bad download. In case you missed it the link for jodin3 is at the top end of the soft debrick guide.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

You can also try heimdall but it can be a pain because you need to extract everything from the tarball and add it in one by one. You also need to use a separate program to select the driver.

I have the exact symtoms and have tried everything suggested but odin and jodin3 writes nothing to my device. Has anyone found a way to get past this? Any help would be much appreciated.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I have the exact symtoms and have tried everything suggested but odin and jodin3 writes nothing to my device. Has anyone found a way to get past this? Any help would be much appreciated.

I feel like there has been one or two solutions for this problem. I cant remember what they are so youll need to dig for them. One solution seemed odd and possibly dangerous. The other seemed like it got to the root of the problem and fixed it. Sorry I cant be of more help.

phantomzm

Jul 15, 2014
I feel like there has been one or two solutions for this problem. I cant remember what they are so youll need to dig for them. One solution seemed odd and possibly dangerous. The other seemed like it got to the root of the problem and fixed it. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Thanks for your quick response.

I have been digging through this forum for weeks and will continue to do so until I find something that works for me. That said, if you happen to remember what that fix that got to the root of the problem please let me know. It just seems like the phone is not granting write permissions to anything (multiple versions of odin, jodin3, verizon repair utility, kies) from download mode or "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue..." screen and if I could just adjust/override those that I can flash successfully.

Thanks again for your help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been researching this problem for a while now and I have read all sorts of threads from forums in every corner of the Internet, but I'm still completely stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What I have is a SCH-i535 Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III (the model # behind the battery actually says SCH-i535V). It belonged to a friend of mine who announced he would be going "Office Space" on it after it stopped functioning. Seeing an opportunity, I asked if I could have it. This friend used his phone solely for regular Internet browsing, texting and email. He never flashed anything custom and it has never been rooted. As of this writing, download mode reports:

Custom Binary Download: No
    Current Binary: Samsung Official
    System status: Official
    Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable

For the record, I don't know any details about the exact version of Android the phone ran before it failed (but I'm operating under the assumption that it ran 4.1.2).

When I first received the phone, it wouldn't get past the "Samsung Galaxy S III" boot screen. It also will not boot into recovery. It will, however, boot into download mode. Therefore, I booted it into download mode, hooked it up to Odin 3.09, downloaded the latest stock firmware from sammobile, and attempted to flash via Odin. Every time I try to do this via Odin 3.09 or 3.07, Odin hangs on the "Initializing" step and does nothing. Samsung drivers are installed, and Odin definitely recognizes the device.

I began researching and came across the Sudden Death Syndrome thread here, which is caused by eMMC failure. My symptoms sounded like the "Half SDS" symptoms in that thread (You cannot boot into android or recovery. It fails at the boot screen, but the screen does turn on none-the-less. The only; thing you can do is top boot into Download mode.). However, I believe SDS affects only the international versions of the SGS3, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thus, I wrote SDS off.

Next, I attempted to use Kies to restore the phone. Using Kies, I used the firmware upgrade/recovery tool. It went through its thing, asked for my model number and IMEI, then downloaded the proper firmware. When it came time to install, however, it told me that it could not communicate with my device. Since then, when I power the phone on, instead of the Samsung boot screen, it now displays "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." Download mode still works, however.

After reading about Odin issues, I tries using older versions of Odin. When I tried to flash the stock firmware using Odin 3.04, rather than hang on "initializing" like the later versions, 3.04 specifically says that there is no PIT partition. Ah, another clue! So I went in search of what the hell this means. By the way, I also tried different USB cables, different computers, different USB ports, popping the battery in and out, standing on one leg and clucking like a chicken, sacrificing a virgin, you name it. After trying Kies, I uninstalled it, and I double checked task manager. Kies is not running the background during my Odin attempts.

I finally found a 16GB PIT file for the SCH-i535 and downloaded it. I loaded it in Odin along with the "re-partition" option checked, and that's also a no go. The write just fails without any particular explanation. Just says "Complete(Write) operation failed. All threads completed (succeed 0 / failed 1). I even tried Odin 1.85, but same result.

I looked into JTAG, but that appears to be necessary if the phone is completely unresponsive and all it does is get you back into download mode. Well, I already have download mode, I just can't do anything with it. This leads me to believe my device is soft bricked, and not hard bricked.

I also followed a couple of tutorials that incorporate flashing bootchains using Odin (like the one here), but Odin wouldn't flash those either.

TL;DR version: ODIN won't write anything to my phone in download mode, and Kies can't do anything either.

I'm at the end of my rope. Short of an actual eMMC failure, I can't see any reason why this phone would be permanently bricked or why ODIN refuses to cooperate. Can anyone suggest anything?