[Q] Do I Need to Unroot for Such a Minor Problem?

Search This thread

steiny

Jul 22, 2008
Here's my predicament, I have Cyanogen Mod 7.1 installed on my EVO 4G on Sprint. Been rooted using UnrEVOked for over a year now. I lived in Los Angeles until 2 weeks ago when I moved to New Mexico. Service was fine until yesterday, when I found out that ALL incoming calls are receiving a fast busy signal when they call me. Outgoing calls work just fine, data works fine. BTW, I'm not on a Sprint Cell tower up here, I'm on roaming.

Called Sprint CS today to fix the problem. They reprovisioned my phone and nothing happened. They checked the cell tower and said it was OK. After 20 minutes on with them, a supervisor told me that because I'm rooted they can't figure out the problem and that I have to unroot and reinstall the stock ROM for them to fix. I call BS, but I'm not sure what to do now. My only source of internet is my EVO as a hotspot, so if I try to unroot and I screw up or when I need to root again, I'll have no internet to run my notebook computer and figure out what I'm doing or to troubleshoot.

I've searched Google for incoming call problem to no avail. Can someone please give me some direction here, I'm stumped. There has to be a better solution than unrooting and installing the stock rom...I hope.

knipp21

May 23, 2010
FT Riley BIG RED ONE
Here's my predicament, I have Cyanogen Mod 7.1 installed on my EVO 4G on Sprint. Been rooted using UnrEVOked for over a year now. I lived in Los Angeles until 2 weeks ago when I moved to New Mexico. Service was fine until yesterday, when I found out that ALL incoming calls are receiving a fast busy signal when they call me. Outgoing calls work just fine, data works fine. BTW, I'm not on a Sprint Cell tower up here, I'm on roaming.

Called Sprint CS today to fix the problem. They reprovisioned my phone and nothing happened. They checked the cell tower and said it was OK. After 20 minutes on with them, a supervisor told me that because I'm rooted they can't figure out the problem and that I have to unroot and reinstall the stock ROM for them to fix. I call BS, but I'm not sure what to do now. My only source of internet is my EVO as a hotspot, so if I try to unroot and I screw up or when I need to root again, I'll have no internet to run my notebook computer and figure out what I'm doing or to troubleshoot.

I've searched Google for incoming call problem to no avail. Can someone please give me some direction here, I'm stumped. There has to be a better solution than unrooting and installing the stock rom...I hope.

Try a wipe and reflash maybe? Or restore a Nandroid

Dear Inc2 owners..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1068236

btw..

su
killall drmserver

Reactions: steiny

steiny

Jul 22, 2008
Hmmmm update prl?

Dear Inc2 owners..

btw..

su
killall drmserver

Tried that just now...flashed Myn's latest ROM, updated PRL from 60675 to 60685.

I had a friend try to call me after doing this. He said it went straight to voicemail three times in a row and then back to the fast busy signal after that. That was while I was still on Myn's ROM, I'm not sure if it went straight to voicemail because I use Google Voice and it wasn't installed and set up on Myn.

I then restored my Nandroid backup, had him try again and he is only getting a fast busy signal... and to boot my data service goes back and forth from 1x to 3G, mostly stays on 1x when it was only 3G before...lol.

Strange, if he got my voicemail the PRL update must have done something, but why did it go right back to the fast busy?

knipp21

May 23, 2010
FT Riley BIG RED ONE
Tried that just now...flashed Myn's latest ROM, updated PRL from 60675 to 60685.

I had a friend try to call me after doing this. He said it went straight to voicemail three times in a row and then back to the fast busy signal after that. That was while I was still on Myn's ROM, I'm not sure if it went straight to voicemail because I use Google Voice and it wasn't installed and set up on Myn.

I then restored my Nandroid backup, had him try again and he is only getting a fast busy signal... and to boot my data service goes back and forth from 1x to 3G, mostly stays on 1x when it was only 3G before...lol.

Strange, if he got my voicemail the PRL update must have done something, but why did it go right back to the fast busy?

Give it some time. Toggle airplane mode a few times. And make sure gv is set up as well

Dear Inc2 owners..

btw..

su
killall drmserver

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
Is Myn's ROM a stock rooted ROM?

Not really. Brad560 has stock rooted ROMs in the dev forum. Then you can not only update profile and prl, but a tech shouldn't be able to tell you you need to unroot blah blah blah

Edit: honestly, I couldn't really say if myns is stock. There was so much modded in it, I don't know how it would show yo a tech that is looking at it. And it's really old. Graynode,nolimit, and brad all have stock/slightly modified. I believe brad has the actual stock rooted posted, though.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Last edited:

imheroldman

Apr 10, 2011
Chico
If you are roaming on Sprint you should try teknowfiles prl it helps with calling and data

steiny

Jul 22, 2008
Thanks for all of the helpful comments. I ended up flashing a stock ROM and then updating the PRL and that KILLED my 3G while roaming. I just manually updated the PRL via EPST back to the original one before this last update and thankfully that restored my 3G.

So I'm back to square one as my original problem still exists. When someone tries to call me while I'm roaming, it either gives a fast busy signal or rings and goes to voicemail, but I don't see the incoming call. Just to reiterate incoming calls worked fine for the first two weeks I was here (roaming).

As a test, today I drove 30 miles to the nearest Sprint cell towers and incoming calls, 3G, all works fine.

plainjane

Jan 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
With Unrevoked, you can flash an RUU to update everything & retain s-off. You'll need to reflash your recovery afterwards, then either flash a new rom or SU to gain root on the stock RUU.

If RUUing fixes your problems, then hopefully after doing a full wipe and flashing a new rom you'll be good to go. If it doesn't fix it then you know it's most likely not rom related and is either a problem with the hardware, radios, or Sprint.

Since you rooted with Unrevoked, you have nothing to lose by doing an RUU... other than time. Just don't flash the s-on zip.

Concordium

Mar 17, 2011
Houston, TX
www.facebook.com
With Unrevoked, you can flash an RUU to update everything & retain s-off. You'll need to reflash your recovery afterwards, then either flash a new rom or SU to gain root on the stock RUU.

If RUUing fixes your problems, then hopefully after doing a full wipe and flashing a new rom you'll be good to go. If it doesn't fix it then you know it's most likely not rom related and is either a problem with the hardware, radios, or Sprint.

Since you rooted with Unrevoked, you have nothing to lose by doing an RUU... other than time. Just don't flash the s-on zip.

I agree with doing this. However, I recommend making sure you have updated your radio, nv, and prl as well before you flash the ROM. As stated above, if you still have problems with it afterwards then you know the issue is not software related.

Also, the Sprint ## codes do not work unless you are on Sense based ROM. So CM7 will not be able to accept the network resets from ## codes given by tech support.

Evocm7

Oct 19, 2011
Bakersfield
Any sense Rom with epst will be able to reprovision your phone. Epst is not built in to aosp roms

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try a wipe and reflash maybe? Or restore a Nandroid

Dear Inc2 owners..

btw..

su
    killall drmserver
    I've already tried all of the above and no change.

Hmmmm update prl?

Dear Inc2 owners..

btw..

su
    killall drmserver

Give it some time. Toggle airplane mode a few times. And make sure gv is set up as well

Dear Inc2 owners..

btw..

su
    killall drmserver
    Instead of unroot, just flash a stock rooted ROM. should be OK.

Is Myn's ROM a stock rooted ROM?

Not really. Brad560 has stock rooted ROMs in the dev forum. Then you can not only update profile and prl, but a tech shouldn't be able to tell you you need to unroot blah blah blah

Edit: honestly, I couldn't really say if myns is stock. There was so much modded in it, I don't know how it would show yo a tech that is looking at it. And it's really old. Graynode,nolimit, and brad all have stock/slightly modified. I believe brad has the actual stock rooted posted, though.