How is LTE signal strength?

Search This thread

iamkoza

Nov 12, 2008
Just curious, coming from EVO 4g LTE I am really hoping for an improvement in LTE antenna with the m8.

Ascertion

Mar 29, 2012
The antenna is better - but not quite as Strong as the G2, N5, or S4. It's about on avg 2-3dBm weaker than the G2, depending on location...on Band 25 LTE. It is however about 8-10dBm better than the M7, according to numerous reports.

The Nexus 5 has by far the best radio on Band 25.

integra3g

Aug 31, 2010
Dallas
bad signal strength

I don't have numbers to back it up, but what I can tell you is that I have worse signal strength when compared to the M7. I used to toggle back and forth at work between 3g and LTE on the M7, but I never even see an LTE connection at work on the M8. I would also play poker on my break and never have any disconnects on 3g with the M7, but the M8 can't seem to say connected long enough to play 3 hands in a row! I also noticed when I put the M7 and M8 side by side (M7 is connected to another line on my plan now) that I show 5 bars on the M7 and 0-1 bars on the M8! Did I just get a bad phone???

gutrrob

Jun 6, 2008
I don't have numbers to back it up, but what I can tell you is that I have worse signal strength when compared to the M7. I used to toggle back and forth at work between 3g and LTE on the M7, but I never even see an LTE connection at work on the M8. I would also play poker on my break and never have any disconnects on 3g with the M7, but the M8 can't seem to say connected long enough to play 3 hands in a row! I also noticed when I put the M7 and M8 side by side (M7 is connected to another line on my plan now) that I show 5 bars on the M7 and 0-1 bars on the M8! Did I just get a bad phone???

Sounds like your a circuit switch fallback victim

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

m03sizlak

Jun 28, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I also have an M7 and an M8. The M8 has a 2-3 dB better signal, but on LTE the number of bars displayed is not accurate. The M7 was like that for a while too until Sprint fixed it with an update. Even with a very strong LTE signal the M8 will show 1-2 bars. That is nothing to worry about.

As for the eCSFB, allegedly only like < 1% of sprint towers still have this problem. Basically if there is a tower with LTE but does not have eCSFB, the phone will deliberately NOT connect to the LTE because doing so would mean that it would not receive incoming phone calls (due to lack of eCSFB).

However, what I've noticed with my M8, is that often, after I drive for a while, the phone will just NOT connect to LTE no matter what. Even in an area with a STRING LTE signal, and working eCSFB, the thing will just not connect to LTE. When it happens it will stay that way forever, until I either reboot it, or toggle airplane mode on and off.

Very annoying. I miss the 2nd radio and SVLTE.

integra3g

Aug 31, 2010
Dallas
I also have an M7 and an M8. The M8 has a 2-3 dB better signal, but on LTE the number of bars displayed is not accurate. The M7 was like that for a while too until Sprint fixed it with an update. Even with a very strong LTE signal the M8 will show 1-2 bars. That is nothing to worry about.

As for the eCSFB, allegedly only like < 1% of sprint towers still have this problem. Basically if there is a tower with LTE but does not have eCSFB, the phone will deliberately NOT connect to the LTE because doing so would mean that it would not receive incoming phone calls (due to lack of eCSFB).

However, what I've noticed with my M8, is that often, after I drive for a while, the phone will just NOT connect to LTE no matter what. Even in an area with a STRING LTE signal, and working eCSFB, the thing will just not connect to LTE. When it happens it will stay that way forever, until I either reboot it, or toggle airplane mode on and off.

I didn't mention this because it did it on both the M7 and M7, but I constantly miss calls (phone never even rings) when I am at work. I hate that my 3g is so bad that I can't even use my phone at work anymore!

iamkoza

Nov 12, 2008
i should edit my post to ask users in spark areas if they have been able to connect to spark? on other forums i found some complaining sprint spark was not working well

uh60james

Sep 29, 2010
Birmingham, AL

I don't think it scans for LTE if 3G is active. So if you're streaming something or an app is syncing it will never pick it up. The default scan rate is set at 300 seconds, not sure if 3G needs to be dormant that long or not though.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Opman711

Jan 3, 2011

Living in Denver where they are FINALLY deploying LTE but in my area it's strong. Also notice the same that it's taking my phone forever to switch to LTE. Compared to my M7, the M8 stays with LTE longer and the speeds are faster.