Casting from Android with VPN on

Search This thread

jasenko

Jan 10, 2013
Hi guys,

I only noticed it recently, when I have VPN session running on my mobile, I lose the access to my home network and can't see Chromecast. It only started when I upgraded my HTC One to KitKat, it was not an issue before. Is there a setting or something obvious that I am missing here? I am running OpenVPN app, but also tried the commercial one HMA with the same problem.

Hope someone can help.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Hi guys,

I only noticed it recently, when I have VPN session running on my mobile, I lose the access to my home network and can't see Chromecast. It only started when I upgraded my HTC One to KitKat, it was not an issue before. Is there a setting or something obvious that I am missing here? I am running OpenVPN app, but also tried the commercial one HMA with the same problem.

Hope someone can help.
Usually VPN clients have the option to not route certain traffic through the VPN. Configuring to not route Chromecast through the VPN should leave Chromecast visible unless there's also some multicast discovery being filtered out by the VPN as well.

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
I had to go through a very advanced setup on my firewall to get the cc to cast on my same network but use the VPN at the same time..

Hint: ISP redundancy.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

logitechor

Sep 29, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 6
The way I did it was have two routers - one with a Roku and the other a Chromecast. The Router with the Chromecast has a US DNS and the other stays as a Canadian address. Works well. Though I do occasionally forget how it is set up. But between them I can work around most Geo Issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

gapcio78

Dec 8, 2007
Usually VPN clients have the option to not route certain traffic through the VPN. Configuring to not route Chromecast through the VPN should leave Chromecast visible unless there's also some multicast discovery being filtered out by the VPN as well.

So please any advice how to configure VPN client on android device and/or router (I have dlink dir-635)?
I have to connect on device with my company VPN and possibilty casting to my TV would be vey very usefull.

ahmedsalah83

Apr 22, 2013
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help.

try using VPNROOT.