how to change imei number on google nexus one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tdeper

Mar 16, 2009
My phone has been repaired and IMEI number has changed.
I need to reinstall the old IMEI number.
Does anyone know how to do that?

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
It's illegal and you can't.

Your phone hasn't been repaired, it has been replaced, hence having a new IMEI.

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Well, weather it's illegal or not really depends on where you are. There's no law in Bolivia for example that prevents it... :)

But seriously, unless you want to (try and) deceive your carrier there is no valid reason for a consumer to need to change the IMEI.

What problems are you experiencing with your new phone that you want to address?

tdeper

Mar 16, 2009
i used have problem with my touch screen. htc fixed my problem but they changed my imei number.
i am using this phone in turkey and i registered with old imei number.
i just want to replace new imei number with the old one.

eugenchivu

Sep 14, 2006
i think what he ment is that in order to register a new IMEI he needs some prooving documents for the phone (AKA measure agains registering stolen phones)

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
It's not illegal to change IMEI #s in the U.S. We don't blacklist GSM phones, so thieves have no reason to change IMEIs. I want to know how to do it, though, because I think it is bull**** that AT&T tries to charge different data rates based on what kind of phone you have rather than how much data you actually use. They don't seem to be forcing the AT&T branded nexus ones onto the more expensive data plan yet, but there's speculation that it's only because they don't yet have the IMEIs in their database.

So please drop the legality comments and post if you have something useful to add.

Reactions: imeiTrouble

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
It's not illegal to change IMEI #s in the U.S. We don't blacklist GSM phones, so thieves have no reason to change IMEIs. I want to know how to do it, though, because I think it is bull**** that AT&T tries to charge different data rates based on what kind of phone you have rather than how much data you actually use. They don't seem to be forcing the AT&T branded nexus ones onto the more expensive data plan yet, but there's speculation that it's only because they don't yet have the IMEIs in their database.

So please drop the legality comments and post if you have something useful to add.

Hey dickhead drop the attitude. There was nothing like your elaboration in the op and you seem to have gained some insight that we're not privy to.

You jump in to a thread and start firing off, how about you have a little respect eh?

trickstard

Apr 1, 2010
the regulations in Turkey state that you can register 1 imported cellphone in every 2 years, so once you use that, you are stuck with it for 2 years..its legal to change IMEI numbers until you get detected and the only consequence is that they block that IMEI number as well, nothing major..
you can change IMEI numbers for many other brands, I'm sure there is a way to do that so if anyone has an answer, I'd like to know as well in case I need it someday ;)

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
Call HTC and tell them you need documentation and why. They should be able to provide it to you, OP.

And to the other guy... we have rules on this forum. One of them is that we don't do illegal ****, or teach others to do it. If AT&T disagrees with your sensibilities, change to another carrier. AT&T sucks anyway.

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
Hey dickhead drop the attitude. There was nothing like your elaboration in the op and you seem to have gained some insight that we're not privy to.

You jump in to a thread and start firing off, how about you have a little respect eh?

If there's a dickhead in this thread it's the one spouting off because they think they were disrespected.

I wasn't even thinking about your post when I wrote mine. I get tired of IMEI-changing threads being effectively shutdown when someone makes a big deal over legality because it's illegal where they live and they assume it is everywhere. In plenty of the world it is not illegal and there are good reasons to want to do it to phones you legitimately own.

If there was any "attitude" at all in my post it was animosity towards carriers. I had no attitude towards any posters in this thread. I was even polite, saying please when asking for the legality comments to be dropped.

Last edited:
Reactions: imeiTrouble

delafield

Jul 3, 2010
Changing IMEI Nos.

Lets forget about who is being nice and not nice and get to the subject matter at hand: changing IMEI numbers. I am interested in changing the IMEI number of my Nexus One.

I understand that changing the IMEI number is not illegal in the US (where I reside) and many other countries. So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards,
Delafield

kam187

Oct 2, 2004
London
The problem with posting information like that is that it IS illegal in alot of countries. Where is XDA hosted? Who owns and runs it and what country are they in?

In many countries posessing the tools to change and IMEI is also illegal. So if someone were to start posting information it might not be illegal for you readers in the US, but it sure would be to have the information here for anyone hosting/runing/administrationg the forum in a country that it is illegal.

Bottom line is, its not about you, its about the people who run this forum and the rules they have decided to operate it under. You might think its just anal posters shutting down IMEI questions, but in fact they're being helpful by efectivly saying 'its illegal in many countries so you wont find the answer here'. I'm sure if you search there's many threads about IMEI closed by mods.

Having said that, if you are looking for that kind of information you are probably better off asking one of the many 'unlockers'. They would know about the security used on the Nexus and if its at all possible - AND if not illegal for them to help you they might do.

Last edited:

mikesm1234

Jul 26, 2009
NYC
An IMEI # is a hardware generated number, and it is hard-locked to your device. Cant be changed, and even if it could there are no assurances that you wont duplicate a number out there already.

kam187

Oct 2, 2004
London
An IMEI # is a hardware generated number, and it is hard-locked to your device. Cant be changed, and even if it could there are no assurances that you wont duplicate a number out there already.

Actually on some phones its burned into OTP - but thats really rare these days. Its more often stored in a signed phone specific area (which also holds the simlock info) which isnt touched by any firmware updates. To change it you need to break that security or find some hole. As manufacturers make their phones harder and harder to unlock this secure area becomes harder and harder to change.
Most sim unlocks these days come from service centers, so although you can see _most_ phones out there can be simunlocked hardly any of those have had their secure area broken open.

Also the IMEI isnt used as a unique identifier for any network operations, so duplicating the numbers isnt a 'technical' problem.

But you can see from the above why even if it was legal its not easy and sometimes not even possible.

hajjat

Jun 12, 2009
I need to change IMEI number for the following reason: I have an old phone that runs on a very good Sprint plan. However, when I bought a new phone (Nexus S) and wanted to replace my old phone, Sprint told me I need to change my plan too (with an 80% increase in monthly bill). So now that I have two phones in hand, I wanna copy my old phone's IMEI into the new phone and start using it as if I'm still using the old phone.

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If there's a dickhead in this thread it's the one spouting off because they think they were disrespected.

I wasn't even thinking about your post when I wrote mine. I get tired of IMEI-changing threads being effectively shutdown when someone makes a big deal over legality because it's illegal where they live and they assume it is everywhere. In plenty of the world it is not illegal and there are good reasons to want to do it to phones you legitimately own.

If there was any "attitude" at all in my post it was animosity towards carriers. I had no attitude towards any posters in this thread. I was even polite, saying please when asking for the legality comments to be dropped.
    change or repair imei number

My phone has been repaired and IMEI number has changed.
    I need to reinstall the old IMEI number.
    Does anyone know how to do that?
    MOD EDIT