Google Play Music+ v1.1 | New Dark Version And Bugfixes!

Search This thread

ronamadeo

Nov 14, 2010
New Jersey
Google Music. The service is awesome, but the app is pretty terrible.
For starters, it’s hideous, it’s also overly complicated and really inconsistent. I complained about all this, at great length, over at Android Police, and with this project, I’m putting my money where my mouth is, and fixing it myself.

I call it Google Play Music+. It's what Google Music would look like if Google cared about it.

Changelog
Version 1.1:
  • New Dark Version!
  • Switched to the old “Music Beta” icon. Google’s blinged-out gold version is ugly, but so was my blue one. This is better. (For now I only updated the first screenshot.)
  • FINALLY figured out how to theme the scrollbar. It’s grey now.
  • Light Version: Fixed white-on-white issues on: the initial “syncing Music screen,” Album screen pins icons, and horizontal Album screen text.
  • Light Version: Fixed white strips on the Now Playing screen.
  • Touchwiz Multi-Window support should actually work now. (Can’t test. Allergic to Touchwiz.)
  • Removed drop down navigation from horizontal mode. Swipe tabs make them redundant, and now it’s consistent with portrait.
  • Switched landscape spinner from a stacked “online mode/viewtype” to just “online type” like portrait mode (for instance, from “All Music/Songs” to just “All music”). Again, it’s redundant with the tabs.
  • Changed the “All music” spinner text to “All Music.” Sentence case is dumb.

Features

Based on Google Music 4.5.910I.560208 - Currently the latest version.

Rethemed - The light version is rethemed to match other Google apps. That means a white background, dark text, and a dark action bar. The dark version is, well, dark. Either way, Tron is dead.
6N8VIr9.jpg

Consistent Horizontal Mode - Horizontal mode has been completely demolished; it works the same way portrait does now, just, you know, rotated. That means swipe tabs instead of a drop down, vertical scrolling instead of horizontal, and a text-based list views for everything instead of album art thumbnails. Music works and feels like a normal app now. You might not notice this one because it makes so much sense, but compare it to the stock app.
HBBjaFg.jpg

Consistent Recent Songs - This one is still a little experimental, but the idea is to turn Recent Songs into a text-based list view like everything else. It’s currently missing dividing lines, but it’s coming along nicely.
7bq8P3d.jpg

Selectable Offline Storage - Move the offline storage wherever you want. It opens up a text box and you can type in a path. Messing this up would probably be bad. You can find it in the settings. (Thanks to Christian Brüggemann for this.)

TouchWiz Multi-Window Compatibility - Listen to music while doing other stuff. You’ll have to reboot after installing for this to work. (Thanks to Christian Brüggemann for this, too.)

Nothing Is Broken - Syncing with Google works, streaming works, offline storage works. It won't hurt your songs, playlists, or anything else. It works just like the stock app, but better.

Installation Instructions

You need root.

Remove all other versions of Google Music - That means the APK in /data/app and the one in /system/app. They’ll usually be called “Music2.apk” or “com.google.android.music.apk” - look for gold headphones. Any installation errors are probably due to you not removing all other versions of Music. (alternatively, use something like Titanium Backup.)

If You Want TouchWiz’s Multi-Window To Work, reboot your phone.

To Download: See the attachments at the bottom of the post. It's just an APK. Sideload it.

Supported Devices

It should work on all phones - But not tablets.

Known Issues/FAQ **NEW!**

• The dark version’s settings page is not themed.
  • The dark version isn’t themed for anything other than XHDPI. If anyone cares about that, let me know.
  • Recent Songs is still a work-in-progress, but it’s better than the swoopy coverflow garbage.
  • I’m investigating alternate horizontal modes. I want it to display album art and scroll vertically, but that’s hard.
  • Got Lag? Wait 5 minutes for everything to sync. The colors are just different, it shouldn’t be any slower or faster.
  • Themes often screw with the appearance of Google Music, there's nothing I can do about that. YOU can fix it by following these awesome instructions posted by gravewormx. (Thanks!)
Things I Hope To Add In Future Versions

(Note that I have never really modded anything before like this, so I really have no idea if I’ll actually be able to pull any of this off, but then again, I wasn’t sure I could do any of this and it’s worked out well so far. :fingers-crossed:)

Horizontal Status Bar - Music currently hides the status bar in landscape and it kills me. This one will be hard but I think I have a chance of making it work. Cross your fingers.

Repackage It As A Separate App Without Breaking Anything - I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do this. When I try I get a non-stop string of force closes. This would make installation a lot easier and fix the root requirement, though. Things like the Legacy Play Store make me think it’s possible. Can anyone help?

Finish Recent Songs - Really hard, because I am dealing with a Gridview and not a Listview, and changing that results in force closes. I’m working on it, though. I’d also like to stop Music from polluting this list with Instant Mixes, but I haven’t looked into it yet.

Fix The Song Options - I would like have every song option (keep on device, delete, more by artist, etc.) available on every screen. I want song options on the Now Playing screen, too. I haven’t looked into this one at all yet.

Fix The Action Bar Titles - They are blank sometimes (like in Now Playing). That’s wrong and ugly.

Add Letter Quick Scroll To Everything - Quick Scroll works, but it doesn’t have the letter popup. Music does this in one screen, but not the others. I haven’t really looked into it.

That's it for now. What do you think?

Attachments

• Music+_Dark_v1.1.apk
    4 MB · Views: 13,009
  • Music+_Light_v1.1.apk
    4 MB · Views: 5,959
Last edited:

H-Body

Jan 19, 2012
AW: Google Play Music+ v1.0 | We Can Rebuild It. (White Theme. More Consistent. Bette

Looks great! Will try it now :)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4

M1lkm4n!

Jan 18, 2012
Bonn
AW: Google Play Music+ v1.0 | We Can Rebuild It. (White Theme. More Consistent. Bette

Works great on my nexus 7 and my Galaxy s with cm10.1!

Regarding the full screen horizontal mode, on my nexus 7 there is a status bar in horizontal view. It is there even in the original Google music version. Maybe this helps figuring this out for all devices...

Edit: nexus 7 is stock 4.2

K900

Aug 12, 2010
Moscow
I don't think my brain can handle such amounts of awesome. If anyone at Google is reading this, take whoever was in charge of the original app's design, show them this, then burn them in the name of the Holo (pun intended) Inquisition.

belyava

Jul 28, 2011
Odessa
Thank you!
Had a quick look at this on my mdpi device. Everything's fine so far. Looks exactly like on the screenshots in the first post.

Reactions: ronamadeo

mrscaligirl

Dec 29, 2011
Sacramento
Re: Google Play Music+ v1.0 | We Can Rebuild It. (White Theme. More Consistent. Bette

Looks awesome, gonna try it out :p

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 12, 2010
Re: Google Play Music+ v1.0 | We Can Rebuild It. (White Theme. More Consistent. Bette

Found a bug. On the now playing screen, look at the sides where the album art is. It's white.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360439284448.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360439284448.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,056

nooktablet

Mar 30, 2012

I personally like the UI of the stock version better

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Reactions: B3L13V3

Jan 12, 2010

two more bugs.
1. In the notification area, I can't pause, skip, or repeat the song when pressing the symbols
2. When going back into the app, the now playing screen has the play/pause button highlighted blue. I went back into the app by touching the music notification icon

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360439597827.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360439597827.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,655

ronamadeo

Nov 14, 2010
New Jersey
Found a bug. On the now playing screen, look at the sides where the album art is. It's white.

That's part of the "design" of Google Music. It shows the album art on top of the queue. I don't like it either but I'll look into fixing it.

two more bugs.
1. In the notification area, I can't pause, skip, or repeat the song when pressing the symbols
2. When going back into the app, the now playing screen has the play/pause button highlighted blue. I went back into the app by touching the music notification icon

Notification buttons work for me (and they should, I didn't touch them), and I can't get the play/pause button to sick to blue. Does anyone else experience either of these?

Reactions: 0.0

Jan 12, 2010

That's part of the "design" of Google Music. It shows the album art on top of the queue. I don't like it either but I'll look into fixing it.

Notification buttons work for me (and they should, I didn't touch them), and I can't get the play/pause button to sick to blue. Does anyone else experience either of these?

I switched back the official play music, and yes, I do see it in the now playing screen. But it's subtle. This app, the white just pops right in my face lol

Would I need to reboot after installing it to get the notification buttons to work?

Sent from my Nexus 4

TheSchatz

Apr 3, 2012
I love the idea, but could we please get a dark theme too? As someone who listens to music primarily at night in the car, the all white everything would serve to blind me quite well.

Looks great though, awesome work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Music. The service is awesome, but the app is pretty terrible.
    For starters, it’s hideous, it’s also overly complicated and really inconsistent. I complained about all this, at great length, over at Android Police, and with this project, I’m putting my money where my mouth is, and fixing it myself.

I call it Google Play Music+. It's what Google Music would look like if Google cared about it.

Changelog
    Version 1.1:
    • New Dark Version!
    • Switched to the old “Music Beta” icon. Google’s blinged-out gold version is ugly, but so was my blue one. This is better. (For now I only updated the first screenshot.)
    • FINALLY figured out how to theme the scrollbar. It’s grey now.
    • Light Version: Fixed white-on-white issues on: the initial “syncing Music screen,” Album screen pins icons, and horizontal Album screen text.
    • Light Version: Fixed white strips on the Now Playing screen.
    • Touchwiz Multi-Window support should actually work now. (Can’t test. Allergic to Touchwiz.)
    • Removed drop down navigation from horizontal mode. Swipe tabs make them redundant, and now it’s consistent with portrait.
    • Switched landscape spinner from a stacked “online mode/viewtype” to just “online type” like portrait mode (for instance, from “All Music/Songs” to just “All music”). Again, it’s redundant with the tabs.
    • Changed the “All music” spinner text to “All Music.” Sentence case is dumb.

Features

Based on Google Music 4.5.910I.560208 - Currently the latest version.

Rethemed - The light version is rethemed to match other Google apps. That means a white background, dark text, and a dark action bar. The dark version is, well, dark. Either way, Tron is dead.
    6N8VIr9.jpg

Consistent Horizontal Mode - Horizontal mode has been completely demolished; it works the same way portrait does now, just, you know, rotated. That means swipe tabs instead of a drop down, vertical scrolling instead of horizontal, and a text-based list views for everything instead of album art thumbnails. Music works and feels like a normal app now. You might not notice this one because it makes so much sense, but compare it to the stock app.
    HBBjaFg.jpg

Consistent Recent Songs - This one is still a little experimental, but the idea is to turn Recent Songs into a text-based list view like everything else. It’s currently missing dividing lines, but it’s coming along nicely.
    7bq8P3d.jpg

Selectable Offline Storage - Move the offline storage wherever you want. It opens up a text box and you can type in a path. Messing this up would probably be bad. You can find it in the settings. (Thanks to Christian Brüggemann for this.)

TouchWiz Multi-Window Compatibility - Listen to music while doing other stuff. You’ll have to reboot after installing for this to work. (Thanks to Christian Brüggemann for this, too.)

Nothing Is Broken - Syncing with Google works, streaming works, offline storage works. It won't hurt your songs, playlists, or anything else. It works just like the stock app, but better.

Installation Instructions

You need root.

Remove all other versions of Google Music - That means the APK in /data/app and the one in /system/app. They’ll usually be called “Music2.apk” or “com.google.android.music.apk” - look for gold headphones. Any installation errors are probably due to you not removing all other versions of Music. (alternatively, use something like Titanium Backup.)

If You Want TouchWiz’s Multi-Window To Work, reboot your phone.

To Download: See the attachments at the bottom of the post. It's just an APK. Sideload it.

Supported Devices

It should work on all phones - But not tablets.

Known Issues/FAQ **NEW!**

• The dark version’s settings page is not themed.
    • The dark version isn’t themed for anything other than XHDPI. If anyone cares about that, let me know.
    • Recent Songs is still a work-in-progress, but it’s better than the swoopy coverflow garbage.
    • I’m investigating alternate horizontal modes. I want it to display album art and scroll vertically, but that’s hard.
    • Got Lag? Wait 5 minutes for everything to sync. The colors are just different, it shouldn’t be any slower or faster.
    • Themes often screw with the appearance of Google Music, there's nothing I can do about that. YOU can fix it by following these awesome instructions posted by gravewormx. (Thanks!)
    Things I Hope To Add In Future Versions

(Note that I have never really modded anything before like this, so I really have no idea if I’ll actually be able to pull any of this off, but then again, I wasn’t sure I could do any of this and it’s worked out well so far. :fingers-crossed:)

Horizontal Status Bar - Music currently hides the status bar in landscape and it kills me. This one will be hard but I think I have a chance of making it work. Cross your fingers.

Repackage It As A Separate App Without Breaking Anything - I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do this. When I try I get a non-stop string of force closes. This would make installation a lot easier and fix the root requirement, though. Things like the Legacy Play Store make me think it’s possible. Can anyone help?

Finish Recent Songs - Really hard, because I am dealing with a Gridview and not a Listview, and changing that results in force closes. I’m working on it, though. I’d also like to stop Music from polluting this list with Instant Mixes, but I haven’t looked into it yet.

Fix The Song Options - I would like have every song option (keep on device, delete, more by artist, etc.) available on every screen. I want song options on the Now Playing screen, too. I haven’t looked into this one at all yet.

Fix The Action Bar Titles - They are blank sometimes (like in Now Playing). That’s wrong and ugly.

Add Letter Quick Scroll To Everything - Quick Scroll works, but it doesn’t have the letter popup. Music does this in one screen, but not the others. I haven’t really looked into it.

That's it for now. What do you think?
    Fresh update! There is now a dark version. See 1st post. Sorry it's taken so long but I've been busy.

I like the darker theme. Easier on the eyes & better for battery life. Any way to do an option for a dark theme?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I like the original better
    Upcoming Updates

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to try and tackle a dark theme soon. I'm holding a vote on my G+ page as to whether it's jet black or a copy of the 4.2 clock app. So if you're interested in a dark version, go vote for the first or second comment.

I'm definitely going to change the icon, I don't really like it either. I'm not sure if I want the old music icon or the current stock one. It should definitely have some orange in it. I'm also going to fix a few more white on white bugs.

I'll see if I can switch horizontal mode to a vertically scrolling grid of album art (stock is a horizontally scrolling list, which means you can't have swipe tabs), but that sounds really hard. We'll see.

I wish I had source code. :crying: