Rooting/Verizon queston

Search This thread

Balian67

Jul 27, 2009
I am currently on Sprint with the HTC EVO 4G LTE. I love it. However this has more to do with Verizon and rooting then it does the phone itself. I haven't had any problems with Sprint turning my phone off or anything for being rooted, and seeing how this phone has a lot of development for it I would have to assume that it is good to root.

Now the verizon question. How is the network? Is it leaps and bounds above Sprints? Voice/Data (3G/LTE) coverage?

jas4458

Sep 14, 2012
I'm actually s sprint employee and switched to Verizon today and the network is leaps and bounds ahead of the sprint network and the droid DNA is amazing to say the least

Sent from my HTC DNA using xda app-developers app

HOOKEDONDROID

Aug 10, 2010
I am currently on Sprint with the HTC EVO 4G LTE. I love it. However this has more to do with Verizon and rooting then it does the phone itself. I haven't had any problems with Sprint turning my phone off or anything for being rooted, and seeing how this phone has a lot of development for it I would have to assume that it is good to root.

Now the verizon question. How is the network? Is it leaps and bounds above Sprints? Voice/Data (3G/LTE) coverage?

Network, really depends where you live...I live in Utah and network is great, much better than Sprint here. If you do switch, as for now don't let it install the ota. It will block you from unlocking the bootloader. At least until the devs find a work around :D The phone is worth the switch by itself.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

Balian67

Jul 27, 2009
Network, really depends where you live...I live in Utah and network is great, much better than Sprint here. If you do switch, as for now don't let it install the ota. It will block you from unlocking the bootloader. At least until the devs find a work around :D The phone is worth the switch by itself.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

For real though...I had Sprints 4G Map up in one tab and Verizons in another...Sprints 4G map looked like a cold and the Verizon map looks like a Disease. Meaning the actual coverage was night and day. I live in Ohio and basically all of ohio is covered in Red (LTE). I would be switching for the network not this phone. Reason is the new M7 for Sprint is this phone with expandable memory and 13 MP camera. I still can't get past the non-removable battery part.

And about the OTA comment. HA I don't flash or update ANY OTA. First thing I do when I get ANY phone is come straight here and tweak my stuff.

Does Verizon do checks though for rooted devices? Is their customer service crappy like I hear? Do they find extra fees and stuff to charge you? Do you ever get dropped calls or choppy calls? I swear Sprints network is a retarded step child. I could have Full bars and have a choppy call. Or be in the middle of an interstate highway and have 1 bar of service. Let alone have Full bars and no bandwidth. Now I am not stupid. I know what is happening.....Sprint sells 4G phones in a state that doesn't have 4G (not that much at least), so their lets say 25,000 customers in a city are all on 2G/3G taking up all the bandwidth, while on Verizon their 25,000 customers are split up on 3G/4G. Our family has been with Sprint for 12 years...So I have to convince the Family to switch (as we are on a 4 people plan).

Oh, dude who left sprint for verizon. Do you know if Verizon does any sort of welcome to Verizon and leaving our competitors kind of deals? Buy one get one free/free activation for devices...etc?

subprime

Feb 23, 2007
I switched from Sprint to Verizon about a month ago and I only wish I did it sooner. Sprints network was ok a few years ago but unless you are in one of their lte areas, I found trying to use the phone for anything but calls or sms to be useless and frustrating.

I'm paying more on Verizon but for me it is worth it to have a smartphone I can actually use.

atishpatel2012

Jan 23, 2013
For real though...I had Sprints 4G Map up in one tab and Verizons in another...Sprints 4G map looked like a cold and the Verizon map looks like a Disease. Meaning the actual coverage was night and day. I live in Ohio and basically all of ohio is covered in Red (LTE). I would be switching for the network not this phone. Reason is the new M7 for Sprint is this phone with expandable memory and 13 MP camera. I still can't get past the non-removable battery part.

And about the OTA comment. HA I don't flash or update ANY OTA. First thing I do when I get ANY phone is come straight here and tweak my stuff.

Does Verizon do checks though for rooted devices? Is their customer service crappy like I hear? Do they find extra fees and stuff to charge you? Do you ever get dropped calls or choppy calls? I swear Sprints network is a retarded step child. I could have Full bars and have a choppy call. Or be in the middle of an interstate highway and have 1 bar of service. Let alone have Full bars and no bandwidth. Now I am not stupid. I know what is happening.....Sprint sells 4G phones in a state that doesn't have 4G (not that much at least), so their lets say 25,000 customers in a city are all on 2G/3G taking up all the bandwidth, while on Verizon their 25,000 customers are split up on 3G/4G. Our family has been with Sprint for 12 years...So I have to convince the Family to switch (as we are on a 4 people plan).

Oh, dude who left sprint for verizon. Do you know if Verizon does any sort of welcome to Verizon and leaving our competitors kind of deals? Buy one get one free/free activation for devices...etc?
The M7 doesn't have a 13 MP camera...Its based off Ultrapixels.
Verizon has great coverage compared to Sprint. It does depend on where you live so you might want to ask people you live around to see if Verizon gets good coverage where you work and live.
Also, if you buy your DNA from Amazon Wireless, its on sale for $50 for new contracts. Verizon also does a student discount if you are a college student or something. Verizon does charge a lot for its services compared to other places in the world, but it has one of the best networks(if not the best) in United States.

Balian67

Jul 27, 2009
I switched from Sprint to Verizon about a month ago and I only wish I did it sooner. Sprints network was ok a few years ago but unless you are in one of their lte areas, I found trying to use the phone for anything but calls or sms to be useless and frustrating.

I'm paying more on Verizon but for me it is worth it to have a smartphone I can actually use.

This is the same exact argument I am trying to use with my dad. We are paying 205 (including taxs and fees) on sprint for a 2G (15+ yr old) and 3G (8+ yr old) technology and network. It would only make sense to pay the 230 + Tax and Fees

kamkid279

Dec 12, 2010
I came from Sprint because of the beastly specs of the DNA. However I've been plagued with the sim card error, puk locked, and constant dropped data and cellular signals. I've gotten new sims and new phones, still the issue persists. So with all that going on, I'm not sure which is better between Sprint and Verizon. I kinda miss Sprint.

Bigandrewgold

Mar 26, 2011
I came from Sprint because of the beastly specs of the DNA. However I've been plagued with the sim card error, puk locked, and constant dropped data and cellular signals. I've gotten new sims and new phones, still the issue persists. So with all that going on, I'm not sure which is better between Sprint and Verizon. I kinda miss Sprint.

Sounds like you have some horrible luck. The only issue I've had is the SIM card error, once, a month or 2 ago.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app