S4 Screen cracked in front jeans pocket! Galaxy S4 is very weak!

Search This thread

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
I have been so careful with my S4, never dropped it. Looking after it. Today I put my phone in my front jeans pocket like always. Got in the car and after a 5 minute drive got out and the screen is showing funny colors and its cracked ;(

I have had many phones in this front jeans pocket (They all lived) and somehow a slight bend has done this. Very weak, if you ask me we are going to see a lot of this as it seems the phone is not the strongest at all. Time for a unibody HTC I think. I've had it with Samsung's plastic crap. :(

My phone will be up on ebay if anyone wants an i9500 for spares.

Edit: The gorilla glass is fine, its the amloed behind that cracked.

Last edited:

Madawcisrich

May 3, 2013
you must of sat on it or something because mine is always in my front pocket (screen facing my leg) and no problem..

One more guy who doesn't take care his phone, "Oh my god, my phone just broke, I did nothing, It broke itself. samsung suuuuucks, I will go HTC one!!!"

Of course. Always samsung build quality, always the manufacturer fault.

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
It was in my front pocket, that is all. I did not sit on it. Many phones have lived in my front pocket. My S4 did not like it. Yes its my fault of course. Just saying that in my experience its weak! Very weak. Infact this is the first phone I have broken ever.

Yes im mad...Just saying this phone is weak. I'm no HTC fanboy, just going to get a unibody that will survive front jeans pocket better than this.

And its very strange that the glass did not break. Just the top of the amoled.

swalker23

May 28, 2012
Call samsung and your cell phone carrier and see what they can do. Google for replacement parts and fix it yourself. Also should always get a protector case for this multi hundred dollor phones. If you can spend $200-$600 for a phone spending $50 for case is nothing. Wish you luck.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
It was in my front pocket, that is all. I did not sit on it. Many phones have lived in my front pocket. My S4 did not like it. Yes its my fault of course. Just saying that in my experience its weak! Very weak. Infact this is the first phone I have broken ever.

Yes im mad...Just saying this phone is weak. I'm no HTC fanboy, just going to get a unibody that will survive front jeans pocket better than this.

And its very strange that the glass did not break. Just the top of the amoled.

This should be covered under warranty imo, assumung there are no marks or damage caused by dropping the phone or something similar. Call a repair centre and turn it in for warranty repair, i think they will cover it.

Reactions: uZzY94

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
This has happened a few times now to people on here and is clearly an issue with this phone. The phone glass screen cracking is one thing. The Amoled itself without the glass being damaged is something else and a clear design fault. I'd be f*****g livid if this happened to mine and would expect a replacement or at least a repair.

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
This has happened a few times now to people on here and is clearly an issue with this phone. The phone glass screen cracking is one thing. The Amoled itself without the glass being damaged is something else and a clear design fault. I'd be f*****g livid if this happened to mine and would expect a replacement or at least a repair.

I searched around and yep. It seems i'm not the only one. The phones amoled can crack that easy has to be a design flaw. I'm thinking maybe it was heat changes too? But my front pocket, come on. Its BS. I will call Samsung tomorrow and see what they can do. I hope this has a happy ending.

Reactions: Patr57ick

SATAN999

Feb 6, 2010
Havant
Mine did this too, but i didn't even sit down, put it in my pocket after getting out of the car walked into the house took it back out my pocket, cracked amoled, glass undamaged!

This is now the 5th thread on here that I have seen about this problem and posted in!

There's a picture of mine in one of the other threads

Sent my phone to samsung who say its physical damage so not covered under warranty!

Lets hope if enough people complain they might repair them!

the other threads :-

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2284944

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2260083

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2280272

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2273212

Lots of people saying we must have dropped them and its not very common, but threads like this are popping up every few days!

How many have to report this before people start taking it serious and start to believe there just might be a build/quality issue!!

Last edited:

topcat07

Mar 30, 2013
Let us know your results good luck! Think you might have issues proving it is design fault and you didn't drop it etc (i do belive you but these companies are A holes)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
Mine did this too, but i didn't even sit down, put it in my pocket after getting out of the car walked into the house took it back out my pocket, cracked amoled, glass undamaged!

This is now the 5th thread on here that I have seen about this problem and posted in!

There's a picture of mine in one of the other threads

Sent my phone to samsung who say its physical damage so not covered under warranty!

Lets hope if enough people complain they might repair them!

Ouch so Samsung will not fix it! I will see what they say tomorrow. Its clearly a design fault. Because I have had many phones in my jeans front pocket and no issues till know. Its stupid that this happened. Hopefully Samsung will do something about this! Did you manage to recovery your files of the phone?

Edit: Maybe its the heat in our pocket that made the screen crack. I did have it glass facing my leg like always come to think of it.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Almost all reports of the LCD cracking have been caused by stress with quite a few people mentioning "pockets." It's pretty clear the SGS4 because of its thinness and near bezel-less display is more prone to stress damage than the SGS3 was. But since Samsung never published a stress guarantee for the SGS3 or said the SGS4 would be better or worse people with damaged panels have acted as scouts warning others about stressing the SGS4. I'd be shocked if any of these cracked panels were repaired under warranty and if they are it would be considered goodwill. So with what's known either don't subject the SGS4 to stress or buy another phone if it's a concern. Samsung's not going to change the design or repair damaged displays carte blanche because it's too hard to tell what's been caused by user damage and what's a stress crack which, in a way, could be considered user damage also (it didn't crack by itself ;) ). And with no implied durability guarantees from Samsung it’s going to be awfully hard fighting them as what’s “weak” or “strong” isn’t defined so everyone’s expectations are just that; expectations. I'm sure this isn't what people want to hear but it's pretty much the state of the union.

Reactions: uesat

btemtd

Aug 8, 2012
Mine is always in my pocket and my jeans are not that loose wt all. I wear a tight fit

mightyillidan

Oct 26, 2011
I searched around and yep. It seems i'm not the only one. The phones amoled can crack that easy has to be a design flaw. I'm thinking maybe it was heat changes too? But my front pocket, come on. Its BS. I will call Samsung tomorrow and see what they can do. I hope this has a happy ending.
gotta be faulty screen lol they do drop tests on this ****s and it survives

Reactions: KingOfDope

SATAN999

Feb 6, 2010
Havant
Ouch so Samsung will not fix it! I will see what they say tomorrow. Its clearly a design fault. Because I have had many phones in my jeans front pocket and no issues till know. Its stupid that this happened. Hopefully Samsung will do something about this! Did you manage to recovery your files of the phone?

Edit: Maybe its the heat in our pocket that made the screen crack. I did have it glass facing my leg like always come to think of it.
Yep also put screen towards leg to protect it, just in case I do knock into anything!

Also had over a dozen phones over a dozen yrs and never ever broken one before!

Used kies to back up the phone, as it still starts up fine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One more guy who doesn't take care his phone, "Oh my god, my phone just broke, I did nothing, It broke itself. samsung suuuuucks, I will go HTC one!!!"

As you see the glass didnt break... so it is definitly a thing to worry about...
    I have been so careful with my S4, never dropped it. Looking after it. Today I put my phone in my front jeans pocket like always. Got in the car and after a 5 minute drive got out and the screen is showing funny colors and its cracked ;(

I have had many phones in this front jeans pocket (They all lived) and somehow a slight bend has done this. Very weak, if you ask me we are going to see a lot of this as it seems the phone is not the strongest at all. Time for a unibody HTC I think. I've had it with Samsung's plastic crap. :(

My phone will be up on ebay if anyone wants an i9500 for spares.

Edit: The gorilla glass is fine, its the amloed behind that cracked.
    you must of sat on it or something because mine is always in my front pocket (screen facing my leg) and no problem..

I know "fit for purpose" is big in the UK. Where's the definition of "fit for purpose" as it comes to the durability of a device with components we all know can be damaged to varying degrees? Saying the SGS4 shouldn’t crack when other phones haven’t is totally subjective and each scenario is unique. Because the SGS4 doesn't do as well in trouser pockets as other phones doesn't mean it's "unfit," it just means its less durable being pocketed (subjected to stress). You can claim to a watch dog that the SGS4 shouldn't crack when it does but with no "standard" to measure it against and so many ways for any phone display to be cracked it's going to be awfully difficult proving it's not fit for purpose.

It's really very simple, and the geographical location is a compete irrelevance as we're discussing what should be common sense here. The Galaxy S4 is a mobile device, and it should be possible to take certain things for granted as a result. So unless you're suggesting it be kept in a teflon box attached to a belt clip, having the display on a disproportionate amount of devices break under the everyday, standard duress other phones appear more than capable of dealing with (including previous generations of devices by Samsung themselves) is completely unacceptable.

1. Hendrickson (OP)
    2. raidenuk
    3. beatmag (discoloration)
    4. jdashford
    5. scriptx
    6. pitapart
    7. murrowxda (AT&T)
    8. Shadowcash ("friend's broke")
    9. greenandroid.sb
    10. _Supernaut
    11. zoroko
    12. blader0109
    13. nevillejb75
    14. Ace 272
    15. epsilon8888
    16. SSTaLoN
    17. kuribo67
    18. danniibxn
    19. Toshanda (screen died)
    20. minipcpro (YouTube video)
    21. saspi
    22. saspi (broke again after repair [drop])
    23. mmessina
    24. AMDERS17 (AT&T)
    25. SAShady (Sprint)
    26. ostrow30
    27. Trax_
    28. LadyDiana0265
    29. XsonicX
    30. Gash128
    31. TeeeJaay ("friend" - GG3 cracked, not AMOLED)
    32. rallyfan1986 (GG3 cracked, not AMOLED)

So with 25 pages of discussion, 32 are how many phones have been reported with broken displays in this thread as of June 19th. I was killing time on a plane today and went through this thread to do the count. Here are some things I picked up from the comments:

• The "mystery cracks" all occurred while the phone was in motion (EG: shirt pocket) with lots of comments about "it was fine when I put it in my pocket and broken when I took it out."

• There are more than a dozen posts from people who keep their phone in their pocket (shirt and pants) and various reports of drops and flexing incidents where nothing happened to their phone.

• Only a couple of people reported that GG3 cracked along with the AMOLED panel and that was in "drop" scenarios. The rest all reported just the AMOLED panel broke.
    If there are 5,000 owners in the i9500/i9505 forum, 32 cracked displays equals a 5/10ths of a percent damage rate. 250 cracked displays would be 5%. I think this really is a mountain being made out of a molehill. And I didn't see any posts that said "I put my phone down on a table and it was fine and when I picked it up it was broken." So I question whether phones being carried loosely in pockets may have been exposed to stress or flex that their owners didn't realize. That, or they were previously stressed or flexed and just light jostling from being in a pocket was all it took to do them in. In that vein, it could also have been a manufacturing defect that caused light stress or flex to crack the AMOLED. Regardless, while it sucks for the 5/10ths of a percent affected, it seems a bit premature to declare the SGS4 universally "weak" which is the trend this thread's taken.