Dropped my Moto X

Search This thread

iximoronixi

Jul 10, 2013
So after owning smartphones for about 5 years I finally dropped my moto x (of course my favorite phone of all time) and wasn't lucky enough to come out with an uncracked screen. The phone still works flawlessly so it is only the glass that has cracked and the digitizer is fine. I started taking apart the phone to see if I could fix it or not and I got 7 of 11 screws out of the back. Most of which stripped almost immediately and I even resorted to taking a knife and etching grooves into the screws. Well sadly I cannot for the life of me get the last 4 screws out of the back and was hoping someone here had some advice to be able to get the stripped screws out

Also I would like to know if it is possible to replace just the glass on the phone myself or if I will need to buy a digitizer and glass.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

dpwhitty11

Aug 15, 2010
Houston, TX
You can't do just the glass. You'll kill the screen doing that. You'll have to buy a combo part if you want to do it yourself (which at this point is all you'll be able to do, since you ripped it open yourself).

If you really want to go ahead with it... Don't get some low quality junk part. I work in cell phone and tablet repair, and I have people come in all the time with broken parts of their phones that they tried to replace. Be prepared to shell out a **** load for a new screen.

This is the only thing I can recommend. We use Gadgetfix when we can't get parts from our usual suppliers, so I can vouch for quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Mo...e_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item51b7742d26

For the screws, you can try to do what we do... Superglue. It sometimes helps you get a grip on troublesome screws.

Also make sure you have a heat gun. Hairdryers take a hell of a lot longer, but those work too.

Steve-x

Sep 28, 2013
Langley, BC
You can't do just the glass. You'll kill the screen doing that. You'll have to buy a combo part if you want to do it yourself (which at this point is all you'll be able to do, since you ripped it open yourself).

If you really want to go ahead with it... Don't get some low quality junk part. I work in cell phone and tablet repair, and I have people come in all the time with broken parts of their phones that they tried to replace. Be prepared to shell out a **** load for a new screen.

This is the only thing I can recommend. We use Gadgetfix when we can't get parts from our usual suppliers, so I can vouch for quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Mo...e_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item51b7742d26

For the screws, you can try to do what we do... Superglue. It sometimes helps you get a grip on troublesome screws.

Also make sure you have a heat gun. Hairdryers take a hell of a lot longer, but those work too.

The price of a replacement screen makes a repair pointless right now. I can get a new in box XT1058 for less then the price of the screen most days.
Maybe hold onto the phone and repair it when/if the price of replacement screens come down.

D

Darth

Yeah....I'd just pick up a new or used phone. Price is great for this phone....you may shell out for the parts you need and have more issues...then you'll really be in the hole.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

Legacystar

Dec 29, 2009
So after owning smartphones for about 5 years I finally dropped my moto x (of course my favorite phone of all time) and wasn't lucky enough to come out with an uncracked screen. The phone still works flawlessly so it is only the glass that has cracked and the digitizer is fine. I started taking apart the phone to see if I could fix it or not and I got 7 of 11 screws out of the back. Most of which stripped almost immediately and I even resorted to taking a knife and etching grooves into the screws. Well sadly I cannot for the life of me get the last 4 screws out of the back and was hoping someone here had some advice to be able to get the stripped screws out

Also I would like to know if it is possible to replace just the glass on the phone myself or if I will need to buy a digitizer and glass.

Thanks everyone!

I tried to do a glass only repair on my moto x. Screen broke before I could even attempt to remove the outer frame.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

iximoronixi

Jul 10, 2013
Ok so pretty much its not worth it and its almost cheaper to just buy a new one

O well guess I'll get the stormtrooper moto x!