[1day] Thinking about buying Z1... need fast advice!

Search This thread

SnZ

Aug 14, 2011
Hello,

I was i 3 shops today and found 1 where Z1 wasn't yellow or anything like that.

Screen was good, white was white, but i'm a bit scared about:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj1P0X12r_A
2) http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/11/0...ys-for-xperia-z-series-suggests-leaked-info/W
3) Community support i don't see a lot ROMS for this device, and i'm mostly interested about CM11 4.4.2 / Carbon KK (does it work well?)

Will also check *#*#7378423#*#* and go to Service Info > Configuration > Rooting Status [Bootloader Unlock Allowed]

I was thinking also about Nexus 5, but 32GB isn't available in my country and getting it in almost same price az Z1 isn't really a deal for me.
I like also Z1 overall better than N5 but i can't choose.

Will buy it tomorrow , so please if anybody will tell me about yes/no or any advices ASAP i will be thankful! :highfive:

Linux4ever85

Sep 7, 2012
Well Sony just announce the Z2. If you can wait until Z2 I would go for that. If you can't wait I would go for Z1. In my eyes Z1 is better than Google Nexus 5.

SnZ

Aug 14, 2011
Well Sony just announce the Z2. If you can wait until Z2 I would go for that. If you can't wait I would go for Z1. In my eyes Z1 is better than Google Nexus 5.

Thanks for first comment!
I also like the look of Z1 :)

Z2 doesn't really change that much and this is also about price.

How about:
-Wifi (signal)
-GSM (Calls signal etc)
-Speaker volume?
*earlier issues i mentioned?

Linux4ever85

Sep 7, 2012

How about:
-Wifi (signal)
-GSM (Calls signal etc)
-Speaker volume?

GSM signal is good. Are you using it on T-Mobile? With custom roms there are problems using it on T-Mobile network. The receiver do get echo effect on custom rom. I do get a problem with one of my bluetooth device which can't seem to auto connect, name of device Flexsmart X3. I don't seem to have any speaker volume problem with mines. Wifi seems to be ok, might want to wait for someone to answer that one since I hardly use Wifi on my device due to having unlimited data plan with T-Mobile. I have to turn on and off tethering a lot before it works. Right now I am using CM11 with the latest nightly build. My device model is C6903.

Reactions: SnZ

SnZ

Aug 14, 2011

GSM signal is good. Are you using it on T-Mobile? With custom roms there are problems using it on T-Mobile network. The receiver do get echo effect on custom rom. I do get a problem with one of my bluetooth device which can't seem to auto connect, name of device Flexsmart X3. I don't seem to have any speaker volume problem with mines. Wifi seems to be ok, might want to wait for someone to answer that one since I hardly use Wifi on my device due to having unlimited data plan with T-Mobile. I have to turn on and off tethering a lot before it works. Right now I am using CM11 with the latest nightly build. My device model is C6903.

Many thanks! I will use it with other operator not T-Mobile :)

Good to hear about CM11 too!

Last edited:

omegahanggara

Jan 28, 2013
Jakarta
double-dragon.blogspot.com
Hello,

2) http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/11/0...ys-for-xperia-z-series-suggests-leaked-info/W
3) Community support i don't see a lot ROMS for this device, and i'm mostly interested about CM11 4.4.2 / Carbon KK (does it work well?)

Will also check *#*#7378423#*#* and go to Service Info > Configuration > Rooting Status [Bootloader Unlock Allowed]

I was thinking also about Nexus 5, but 32GB isn't available in my country and getting it in almost same price az Z1 isn't really a deal for me.

Will buy it tomorrow , so please if anybody will tell me about yes/no or any advices ASAP i will be thankful! :highfive:

1. Touchscreen problem has been FIXED on 14.2.A.1.136, for the sake of truth I've test it
2. I've never found cracked display on Z1 yet. So I can't say anything about it. Anyway, the level of your luck is depend on your persuasive level. More persuasive you are, the more chance to get warranty.
3. Sony has been fixed dead camera bug on December 2013. Anyway, dead camera bug is something you get if you unlock your bootloader. With some kind of bug like that, just a little number of developers dare to take the risk. Until the bug has fixed by Sony, all developers now can build custom ROM and kernel without worries. We've developed custom ROM and Kernel actively since December. That means the developing has running for 2 months. That's why we have no many choices YET.

tudy88

Sep 4, 2011
Bucharest
1. Touchscreen problem has been FIXED on 14.2.A.1.136, for the sake of truth I've test it
2. I've never found cracked display on Z1 yet. So I can't say anything about it. Anyway, the level of your luck is depend on your persuasive level. More persuasive you are, the more chance to get warranty.
3. Sony has been fixed dead camera bug on December 2013. Anyway, dead camera bug is something you get if you unlock your bootloader. With some kind of bug like that, just a little number of developers dare to take the risk. Until the bug has fixed by Sony, all developers now can build custom ROM and kernel without worries. We've developed custom ROM and Kernel actively since December. That means the developing has running for 2 months. That's why we have no many choices YET.

The update 14.2.A.1.136 didn't fix the problem with touchscreen. Just mask it. The problem is still there and it appeard every day in daily use. It is a hardware issue, not software.

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
Don't have the touchscreen issue myself (in diagnostics screen test it works fine at least 3 or 4 times in a row... can't be bothered to try more ;) ).

But if you can access the service menu, can't you access the screen test as well? So you can check if there are any obvious flaws.

About custom roms, check the relevant threads to see if the things you want are available and if they work (something personal anyway, issues one person can't be bothered about can be major for another). My main issue is that the Z1 camera app from sony only works on the stock roms, that's my reason for staying with a stock based rom (Monxdified atm, working just fine).

Steve_max

Nov 20, 2011
Rio de Janeiro

How about:
-Wifi (signal)
-GSM (Calls signal etc)
-Speaker volume?

The speaker isn't as loud as I would like it to be. Vibration is also weak (loud but weak). Those and the screen are my top three complaints about the phone. I get better Wi-Fi and GSM/HSPA with the Z1 than I did with my older Galaxy S2 and S3, and better than my wife's iPhone 5S. Battery life is impressive coming from the Galaxies. And I really don't see the need to go from Sony's ROM to an AOSP one: the ROM is very light and functional, Xposed alone is enough to make it as flexible as CM/Omni.

Touchscreen issues still happen on .136, but only when I specifically test for them (run a drawing app, lay down the phone, turn off the screen, hold your finger on the screen, turn the screen back on and draw without removing your finger: you'll see a dotted line instead of a continuous one). I didn't have the colour balance issues, but that is fixed with the balance settings.

SnZ

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for answers i will buy nexus5..

The phones in shop with good screen had botloader locked :) NO = can't unlock lol) and the unlockable 2 of them had yellowish screen...

Thanks anyways again guys!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

How about:
    -Wifi (signal)
    -GSM (Calls signal etc)
    -Speaker volume?

Hello,

The update 14.2.A.1.136 didn't fix the problem with touchscreen. Just mask it. The problem is still there and it appeard every day in daily use. It is a hardware issue, not software.
    Don't have the touchscreen issue myself (in diagnostics screen test it works fine at least 3 or 4 times in a row... can't be bothered to try more ;) ).

But if you can access the service menu, can't you access the screen test as well? So you can check if there are any obvious flaws.

About custom roms, check the relevant threads to see if the things you want are available and if they work (something personal anyway, issues one person can't be bothered about can be major for another). My main issue is that the Z1 camera app from sony only works on the stock roms, that's my reason for staying with a stock based rom (Monxdified atm, working just fine).

How about:
    -Wifi (signal)
    -GSM (Calls signal etc)
    -Speaker volume?

The speaker isn't as loud as I would like it to be. Vibration is also weak (loud but weak). Those and the screen are my top three complaints about the phone. I get better Wi-Fi and GSM/HSPA with the Z1 than I did with my older Galaxy S2 and S3, and better than my wife's iPhone 5S. Battery life is impressive coming from the Galaxies. And I really don't see the need to go from Sony's ROM to an AOSP one: the ROM is very light and functional, Xposed alone is enough to make it as flexible as CM/Omni.

Touchscreen issues still happen on .136, but only when I specifically test for them (run a drawing app, lay down the phone, turn off the screen, hold your finger on the screen, turn the screen back on and draw without removing your finger: you'll see a dotted line instead of a continuous one). I didn't have the colour balance issues, but that is fixed with the balance settings.