Should I get the Optimus G pro?

Search This thread

capeorigins

Dec 18, 2012
Lakewood
A week ago I broke my nexus 4, cracked it lol. So Im using this chance to get a upgrade of space(sdcard slot) and I found this phone broken on ebay (cracked screen nothing else) for 130. My question is: is it worth getting this phone, or should I get the optimus G (e970) and put it on tmobile..

The Optimus G pro is supposed to be alot better than the e970 and I really think it is, Specifically because:
  • Internal Storage of 32gb
  • Bigger screen
  • 13 Mega Pixel instead of 8
  • Notification Led is in front instead of side
  • Battery is way bigger
  • and many others..

My brother doesnt think I should try for the phone because he has heard that the performance is worse than the e970 because its a bigger screen with a higher pixel density and the same gpu as the e970, Im not worried about the gameplay right now. Should I be?

However I do have some concerns which are:
  • The Developer community is smaller I think
  • And is the service good on tmobile?
  • My brother has his en970 on Tmobile, is it possible to have the Pro on tmobile? and if so does it get good service?
  • Ill list more if I remember any

Have any of you had the e970 before you got this phone? how did the difference feel?

I look forward to hearing your opinions. and I really appreciate them.

Sincerely Joshua

P.S. I apologise for any incorrect grammar

Last edited:

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
Both LG phones just work, not much need for development.

It comes down to whether you want the larger screen.

I have never used T-Mobile and have no idea how they work on that carrier, but don't they have the same bands?

I am currently using a MotoX and keep eying the G Pro as my next phone. My Optimus G was every bit as good as the MotoX and the G Pro is essentially the same phone with a larger screen.

Good luck with your next phone..

BTW - the camera is great on my wife's G Pro and so is the battery life.

Reactions: capeorigins

capeorigins

Dec 18, 2012
Lakewood
Yeah I'm really hoping to get that phone soon too. Because it looks amazing, way better than the e970 lol. And personally I think the larger screen will be something I'll get used to.

Yeah, both the pro and the e970 have the right bands for T-Mobile and I'm hoping it'll work good or better than the e970 does.

capeorigins

Dec 18, 2012
Lakewood
I bet, as soon as I heard about the camera and the battery life I was like "whoa"

And thanks btw, Good luck to you too.

ahm12

Feb 14, 2011
IL
bought one today on ebay for 225$...

i think its the cheapest used snapdragon 600 phone on the market..

luisoman2000

Jul 4, 2012
A week ago I broke my nexus 4, cracked it lol. So Im using this chance to get a upgrade of space(sdcard slot) and I found this phone broken on ebay (cracked screen nothing else) for 130. My question is: is it worth getting this phone, or should I get the optimus G (e970) and put it on tmobile..

The Optimus G pro is supposed to be alot better than the e970 and I really think it is, Specifically because:
  • Internal Storage of 32gb
  • Bigger screen
  • 13 Mega Pixel instead of 8
  • Notification Led is in front instead of side
  • Battery is way bigger
  • and many others..

My brother doesnt think I should try for the phone because he has heard that the performance is worse than the e970 because its a bigger screen with a higher pixel density and the same gpu as the e970, Im not worried about the gameplay right now. Should I be?

However I do have some concerns which are:
  • The Developer community is smaller I think
  • And is the service good on tmobile?
  • My brother has his en970 on Tmobile, is it possible to have the Pro on tmobile? and if so does it get good service?
  • Ill list more if I remember any

Have any of you had the e970 before you got this phone? how did the difference feel?

I look forward to hearing your opinions. and I really appreciate them.

Sincerely Joshua

P.S. I apologise for any incorrect grammar

I'm comming from an LG E970 (OG AT&T variant) and got my g pro recently so here are my thoughts:

Pros:

-GORGEOUS screen. The huge screen is a lot better than the OG, and the size makes it ideal for movie/video watching.
-Lots of storage. The OG has 16 internal and sd slot. I had mine with a 16 gig sd. Never ran out of space but the extra is always welcome.
-Camera. The 8mp cam on the OG is decent at best. The G pro's cam is a whole lot better in every aspect.
-Battery. Whith my OG i was reaching for my charger before my workday ended (with moderate to heavy use of course, some gaming, lots of music, web surfing), the G pro battery lasts a lot longer.
-Stock modded kitkat rom with optimus UI and several lg goodies available (knock off anyone?)
-Price. I got mine in mint condition for under $300 on ebay, and there are a lot of offers for $250-$300 in good shape. Just like the OG this phone is a good bargain when it comes to bang for buck.
Cons

-Very small dev support. The OG and N4 have a ton of roms to choose from, the G pro doesn't.
-Size can be overwhelming at first, takes a while to get used to. I have small hands but still manage to do most hings one handed.
-"Brickability" or how easy it is to get a soft brick on this phone(read the threads). Though it is easy to bring back and i havent read of any hard bricks, a lot of people have soft bricked trying to flash radoenmaya's kitkat rom.

so there you have it. I've only had my G pro for a couple of days, but used an optimus G for months, and with the new kitkat rom, I can't say I miss the OG except maybe for the size sometimes(playing ingress on the G pro is sweet!).

capeorigins

Dec 18, 2012
Lakewood
Yeah, personally I think it is one of the cheapest too. That's why I want it so bad haha.

However my plan is to buy a cracked one on eBay and repair it myself, hope it goes well.

And that's one of my fears is about the fact that the dev community isn't too big so there are few ROMs, however I don't really mind because it was a little overwhelming to choose from so many ROMs on the nexus 4.

P.s. have you tried beanstalk? How was it?

luisoman2000

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah, personally I think it is one of the cheapest too. That's why I want it so bad haha.

However my plan is to buy a cracked one on eBay and repair it myself, hope it goes well.

And that's one of my fears is about the fact that the dev community isn't too big so there are few ROMs, however I don't really mind because it was a little overwhelming to choose from so many ROMs on the nexus 4.

P.s. have you tried beanstalk? How was it?

Havent tried it, not really fond of AOSP or CM based roms. I prefer stock modded. I tried it on my OG though and it was solid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Both LG phones just work, not much need for development.

It comes down to whether you want the larger screen.

I have never used T-Mobile and have no idea how they work on that carrier, but don't they have the same bands?

I am currently using a MotoX and keep eying the G Pro as my next phone. My Optimus G was every bit as good as the MotoX and the G Pro is essentially the same phone with a larger screen.

Good luck with your next phone..

BTW - the camera is great on my wife's G Pro and so is the battery life.