Wake Up Lag

Search This thread

barrywaters

Apr 17, 2012
maybe its just me but i don't find it slow. there is a slight delay, but is it really that slow? maybe its just me, i'm coming from a nokia 5210 so ive been under achieveing with performance for the last 3 years.

someonet1k

Mar 13, 2012
It's weird for me. Sometimes there's nearly a full second lag, other times it's instant...

It seems that it has a little to do with the size of the background image, but not much. It doesn't matter for how long it's been sleeping/on stand by, too, nor how many apss are on. More like if the phone is in the mood or not :D

rickytenzer

Sep 10, 2009
People just don't understand the concept of deep sleep. That's why sometimes it's instant, and other times it isn't. And for people claiming that it's gone in other ROMs, maybe the ROM dev has eliminated the deep sleep mode by keeping a wakelock.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

someonet1k

Mar 13, 2012
People just don't understand the concept of deep sleep. That's why sometimes it's instant, and other times it isn't. And for people claiming that it's gone in other ROMs, maybe the ROM dev has eliminated the deep sleep mode by keeping a wakelock.

I do understand it:) actually my phone sometimes wakes up faster when its been asleep than when I turn the screen off and back on again a couple of seconds later and vice versa. On the XEU LP7 so far it's steady with around half a second. Now if only I get rid of the lag when opening contacts or call logs, all will be aces:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

live2ride96

Nov 19, 2010
Orland Park, IL
Wow. Can't believe this still isn't fixed. I had the problem REALLY bad on stock Gingerbread build on my E4GT. I still have about a 2 second delay on CM9. I can live with it, but it's annoying. I'm actually considering trying wake lock app or soft locker just to get rid of it, cuz I'm willing to deal with a slight decrease in battery life to get rid of this pain in the ass. Just not a major decrease.

Now, to the people that don't get why some of us are all bent out of shape about this problem, here is my gripe- when I wake my phone, half the time I don't know if I hit the power button or not, due to the lag. So sometimes, I'll hit it again, thinking I didn't get it the first time. Then I get nothing because I just shut it back off. So I have to hit the power button a third time, but more firmly this time and wait two seconds for it to wake. It's one hell of an irritating 5-6 second process, especially when I'm just looking to see the time or check if I have any notifications (as some roms seem to have a bug that resets half my notifications to silent). It's not the end of the world, but dammit if it isn't frustrating.

Hawkeyed

Oct 3, 2006

Could you explain why the lag isn't present on my Desire HD? And yes, it does go into deep sleep.

What's even more annoying is the two seconds it takes to turn on the screen to hang up a phone call. Again, the DHD turn on the display instantly.

These issues aren't a deal breaker for me but they're annoying.

ogblaz

Jan 31, 2012
Softlocker fixes this, i charge my phone everynight so i think i will be fine....I hope :)

levankd

Apr 8, 2012
did anyone try to reflash your stock bootloader for your device, i've just flashed ics bootloader few minutes ago, and the problem seems fixed :) , my s2 is running ics 4.0.3 xwlp8 ;)

Oct 2, 2010
Islamabad
I don't know if this has been discussed already (since I can't bother to read through the entire thread) but from what I've read and gathered the issue lies within the CPU cores. When the phone is on stand-by the clock speed goes down drastically in order to save battery when the phone is on stand-by, and most of the system processes have to be brought back from suspension.

minidou-77

Aug 6, 2011
AFAIK it's ICS related
I saw (in Siyah thread if I'm right) that the kernel is a half second longer to be restored (I don't know if its the right word) than in GB after deep sleep

aydc

Jul 31, 2006
AFAIK it's ICS related
I saw (in Siyah thread if I'm right) that the kernel is a half second longer to be restored (I don't know if its the right word) than in GB after deep sleep

On Samsung devices with GB, it takes 600ms to wake the phone up, on ICS, it takes 1000ms.

However, this is not ICS's fault. HTC devices like Sensation or One X wake up instantly even on ICS. This delay happens only on Samsung phones. Shame on you Samsung!

Reactions: minidou-77

Visentinel

May 29, 2007
Washington
Here is a cheap and simple and most importantly a reliable way to fix this issue.

The text explanation...

Buy the official extended battery. Its very cheap, got mine for 30 aud.

Install the terminal emulator app. It places an icon notification and thus is the only app that doesn't keep getting killed in the background and consequently stops helping with the wake up lag.
Side effect... you also know if ur phone reboots hot or cold, u get some insight on your stability.

The graphical explanation...

Below are some screens on my setup. I use AOKP and Fluxxi kernel.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338789421211.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338789421211.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 272
  • uploadfromtaptalk1338789434500.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338789434500.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 261
  • uploadfromtaptalk1338789443945.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338789443945.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 260
  • uploadfromtaptalk1338789458865.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338789458865.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 254

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is there no one we can contact at Samsung to address the issue? I know Steve Kondik (cyanogen) works there now, so maybe he's our best bet? This has to be addressed, as a device with this much power shouldn't fall victim to poor coding like this...

Cyanogen working for Samsung has basically not gotten us ANYTHING. Samsung doesn't give a **** about anyone doing platform development work - look at the uselessness of SamsungJohn, their "developer relations" guy who has never to my knowledge provided anyone on XDA with anything approaching useful information. (Hell, rather than acknowledging their GPL noncompliance with UCKL2 for the Infuse and providing a rectification plan, he hides any tweets on the subject from appearing on his twitter feed.) Also look at their attitude regarding BSD-licensed components such as the wifi driver for the Tab 7 Plus.

And this isn't a poor coding issue, it's a hardware design issue. Samsung hung the modem off of a USB bus, and waiting for that bus to wakeup and for the device to enumerate takes a while. It consists of the majority of the 650 ms it takes for our device just to complete resuming from suspend in the kernel. (Look at a dmesg of a wakeup - and notice that for the last 200-400 msec of the wakup process, it's all modem stuff with lots of pauses.)

There may be a way to allow modem wakeup to be asynchronous from the resume process - but that's a REALLY difficult thing to implement correctly, so this isn't exactly poor coding. More like poor hardware design.
    Amazing how its so difficult for people to understand such a simple thing.

Deep sleep = wake up lag

Waking phone if something such as a facebook sync is going on will be instant due to wake lock during sync activity.

Waking phone from deep sleep = lagy

Charging holds a wake lock so fast wake up

Not charging doesn't hold a wake lock slow wake up

Use a service to hold wake lock is unreliable as services often get shut down by android during process limits been reached.

Use something like terminal emulator which places an ongoing notification which will be lowest on the list of processes to be killed. Remember to press menu and select take wakelock

Let's dumb it down.

Deep sleep is slow
    Wake locks make fast.

;)

If for some bizarre reason some strange and wacky reason you think you fixed it. Well you did not whatever you did simply just caused a wakelock somewhere.

Edit a few hours later to add something important.

When you are connected to wifi there is often allot of white noise (vista/7 discovery protocols, other misc traffics, dhcp broadcasts... you name it. These cause wake locks so often by virtue of been on a wifi network you may experience fast wake up and to the lamenz this seems like a miracle. :rolleyes: its just the wifi traffic keeping your phone awake)
    Wow. Can't believe this still isn't fixed. I had the problem REALLY bad on stock Gingerbread build on my E4GT. I still have about a 2 second delay on CM9. I can live with it, but it's annoying. I'm actually considering trying wake lock app or soft locker just to get rid of it, cuz I'm willing to deal with a slight decrease in battery life to get rid of this pain in the ass. Just not a major decrease.

Now, to the people that don't get why some of us are all bent out of shape about this problem, here is my gripe- when I wake my phone, half the time I don't know if I hit the power button or not, due to the lag. So sometimes, I'll hit it again, thinking I didn't get it the first time. Then I get nothing because I just shut it back off. So I have to hit the power button a third time, but more firmly this time and wait two seconds for it to wake. It's one hell of an irritating 5-6 second process, especially when I'm just looking to see the time or check if I have any notifications (as some roms seem to have a bug that resets half my notifications to silent). It's not the end of the world, but dammit if it isn't frustrating.
    I'm pretty sure the phone doesn't go into deep sleep when on charger, right?

Also, well I wish i could find the post with more info :(

Correct. If the modem and/or the internal USB bus (which is partially if not fully independent of the external USB port) don't go to sleep, they don't need to wake up. No Android device I know of in existence will enter deep sleep when on a charger of any sort - charging holds a wakelock.

It takes about 650 msec for a complete resume from suspend at the kernel level, and nearly all of this time is waiting for the modem (or at least the main interface between the CPU and modem) to come up. Don't believe me? - look at a dmesg (specifically, timestamps leading up to resume completion) and read the kernel source.

Older Samsung devices used a serial interface to the modem that woke up more quickly. For example, the Infuse completes resume in about 150 msec.
    Entropy512 demoed that it takes at least 650ms to wake up[...]

Yeah, it won't go away, but there still is room for optimization. There is no denying that it got considerably worse under ICS. Many people (including myself) have experienced the difference between GB and ICS.
    This is simply one of the biggest annoyances of this device. (If not the biggest one)