[Q] gapps process has stopped after restore

Search This thread

rvlution

Jul 30, 2014
I am rooted and was using CWM to flash Cyanogenmod. I did a factory reset and then did a restore. The restore went through, but upon reboot the message "Unfortunately, the process com.goog.process.gapps has stopped" appeared. Pressing "ok" only made more dialogs appear. A selection to use Nova Launcher and Touchwiz was also there but I was only able to launch Touchwiz. I don't have any service on the phone and it seems to have locked me out of my Samsung and Google account. I went back into recovery and did another restore and wiped the cache and the dalvik cache based on another thread I saw. Upon reboot, "Android is upgrading" appeared and acted as if it was reinstalling apps or something. Once I got to the home screen the same thing was happening though. I am at a loss and would greatly appreciate help.

rvlution

Jul 30, 2014
I just realized I forgot to install the gapps.zip I had downloaded and was hoping that would fix it. It did not and is still doing the same thing.

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

I just realized I forgot to install the gapps.zip I had downloaded and was hoping that would fix it. It did not and is still doing the same thing.

you only need to flash the gapps package once right after you flash the rom.....when you make a back up of the rom it also backs up the gapps....so when you restore you get what you backed up so you wont have to flash the gapps again

Reactions: rvlution

Darkside920

Jul 5, 2013
Neenah
I had this exact problem when I restored my stock ROM with CWM. The only thing that solved the problem was a factory reset.

Then I discovered Philz recovery. I've don't literally dozens of nandroid backups & restores since, without a single issue. Hopefully installing Philz touch recovery will do the trick for you, too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rvlution

Jul 30, 2014
I had this exact problem when I restored my stock ROM with CWM. The only thing that solved the problem was a factory reset.

Then I discovered Philz recovery. I've don't literally dozens of nandroid backups & restores since, without a single issue. Hopefully installing Philz touch recovery will do the trick for you, too.

This makes me feel a little better. I am still pretty fresh to this world so could you point me in the direction of an idiot proof guide to do this? Am I able to do this with my phone already in this weird state?

EDIT: Or should I do a factory reset, download and install Philz, and then do a restore?

Last edited:

Darkside920

Jul 5, 2013
Neenah
This makes me feel a little better. I am still pretty fresh to this world so could you point me in the direction of an idiot proof guide to do this? Am I able to do this with my phone already in this weird state?

EDIT: Or should I do a factory reset, download and install Philz, and then do a restore?

First: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446393

[d2lte/d2spr][CWM ADV.] OFFICIAL PhilZ-Touch Recovery 6.48.4[7.06.14]

Second, I would install Philz and try to restore your CWM backup with it before starting over with a factory reset. You may get lucky.

rvlution

Jul 30, 2014

Second, I would install Philz and try to restore your CWM backup with it before starting over with a factory reset. You may get lucky.

Sorry if I sound clueless, but put Philz on my external and then flash using CWM recovery? And is flashing just installing a zip? Everything I have seen hasn't been too specific and seems to be focused on people who already know what's going on.

sevenpioverthree

Mar 7, 2013
Sorry if I sound clueless, but put Philz on my external and then flash using CWM recovery? And is flashing just installing a zip? Everything I have seen hasn't been too specific and seems to be focused on people who already know what's going on.

1. Yes but then you have to reboot into recovery to get into philz
2. Yes

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
Reboot into recovery meaning one of the advanced options in CWM? I just want to to make absolutely sure before I accidentally do something I shouldn't.

Press and hold the home button, the power button and volume up button to get into recovery. Once there, find the philz zip and install from within CWM...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Reboot into recovery meaning one of the advanced options in CWM? I just want to to make absolutely sure before I accidentally do something I shouldn't.

yes or you can just pull the battery put back in then use the 3 button combo to get into Philz recovery.....i forgot to mention that's the one im using as well :)

rvlution

Jul 30, 2014

Installed fine, tried doing a recovery and after reboot, same issue. Just did factory reset and restoring again. Will post results when done.

EDIT: After second restore I am getting the same issue. Am I skipping a step after the restore that I should be doing?

Last edited:

rvlution

Jul 30, 2014
Sigh, after Philz didn't work I tried the factory reset. While it "worked" and I was able to link my Google account back, I don't have any cell service. Is there a way to reassign my Sprint account to the phone?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sigh, after Philz didn't work I tried the factory reset. While it "worked" and I was able to link my Google account back, I don't have any cell service. Is there a way to reassign my Sprint account to the phone?

##72786# in the stock TouchWiz dialer.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v6.3, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: rvlution

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

when you did the factory reset did you wipe cache and dalvik cache? and since your on the stock ND8 rom you can flash KToonsez kernel for 4.4.2 touchwiz then flash the NDC Modem and see if that fixes the signal

rvlution

Jul 30, 2014
##72786# in the stock TouchWiz dialer.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v6.3, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Tried that, I just get a black screen that says "SCRTN" at the top.

when you did the factory reset did you wipe cache and dalvik cache? and since your on the stock ND8 rom you can flash KToonsez kernel for 4.4.2 touchwiz then flash the NDC Modem and see if that fixes the signal

Yes I did. I've been seeing something about a corrupted efs partition and that seems to lineup with what is happening to my phone. It doesn't easy or even very doable to fix without a backup of the efs.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Tried that, I just get a black screen that says "SCRTN" at the top.

Yes I did. I've been seeing something about a corrupted efs partition and that seems to lineup with what is happening to my phone. It doesn't easy or even very doable to fix without a backup of the efs.

So you tried to flash the stock ND8 via Odin? which deletes everything including the custom recovery and makes everything stock

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Haven't tried that yet. Where can I download that? And is that the same process as rooting?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2738533 follow instructions on that post and you'll have stock ND8 running in no time :) just YOU MUST USE DESKTOP ODIN 3.09 to flash it :)

so you'll be on stock 4.4.2 Touchwiz......if you want to get custom recovery use Philz and flash through Odin as well just make sure the Philz is .Tar.Md5

Last edited:

rvlution

Jul 30, 2014
I really appreciate all the help guys. I ended up going to Best Buy (we have Geek Squad insurance) and they initially sent me over to Samsung who I knew wouldn't do anything about it since it was rooted. I went back over to Geek Squad and they filed a claim and a new one is on the way. Once again, thanks and sorry for anticlimactic conclusion haha. I'm going to wait a while before trying anything on this one and will probably test stuff on the old one first.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I really appreciate all the help guys. I ended up going to Best Buy (we have Geek Squad insurance) and they initially sent me over to Samsung who I knew wouldn't do anything about it since it was rooted. I went back over to Geek Squad and they filed a claim and a new one is on the way. Once again, thanks and sorry for anticlimactic conclusion haha. I'm going to wait a while before trying anything on this one and will probably test stuff on the old one first.

1. Yes but then you have to reboot into recovery to get into philz
    2. Yes

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Press and hold the home button, the power button and volume up button to get into recovery. Once there, find the philz zip and install from within CWM...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2