What the hell is wrong with WiFi

Search This thread

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
It just stops working for no apparent reason and the signal indicator fluctuates wildly. Amazingly the LTE signal is very strong and reliable, guess I'll be relying on that over wifi which just seems wrong.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
If I sit in front of my router it works great but if I move a little out of the way it just doesn't work. This sucks, because otherwise I'm loving the phone.

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
If I sit in front of my router it works great but if I move a little out of the way it just doesn't work. This sucks, because otherwise I'm loving the phone.

I was curious about this too. Are you on AT&T or Rogers? I know many are reporting issues with Wireless N routers.

Supposedly it will be fixed in a firmware update.

aspj111

Jun 5, 2011
New Jersey
It just stops working for no apparent reason and the signal indicator fluctuates wildly. Amazingly the LTE signal is very strong and reliable, guess I'll be relying on that over wifi which just seems wrong.

Same here, my connection randomly drops. I just turn wifi off and on and it comes back on.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Been using mine for about 2 hours and no WiFi issues yet. Router is an apple time capsule.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

motionUS

Jan 20, 2009
I'm using an apple router and my WiFi is dropping in and out. I've tried changing to 2.4 GHz but still havingbthe issue. What a pain.

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
Funny literally 5 seconds after I sent that message my WiFi died and then my phone spontaneously rebooted. Wonderful.

Yeah there's definitely a major issue with the wifi driver on this phone. Everyone having this issue please tweet @HTC with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bmolloy

May 3, 2010
Temecula,
Has anyone tried to assign a specific DHCP lease to their phone with their router to see if this solves the problem? This is killing me, I have to have a phone with flawless wifi, I don't get great cell signal where I work so I need the wifi for texting (I use google voice) / chat / email. I guess I will know more tomorrow when I get home to get mine. I tried to talk my wife to brining it to me at work but no dice there.

I currently have a galaxy nexus which has very finicky wifi as well. I have found that it is more router related than anything else. With the apple airport extreme the connection has always been perfect, but I saw here this is not the case with this phone. Fingers Crossed.

tian105

Mar 11, 2011
AT&T broke the WIFI on purpose for the following reason

have you use LTE.

Charge your for going over data cap

Profit?

Reactions: bugga214

zivan56

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
From a purely RF point of view, 2.4GHz has better range than 5GHz due to being able to go through walls better. If other devices don't have issues connecting over 5Ghz from the same location, then the issue may be the WiFi antenna design and/or the case material which makes it difficult for higher frequencies to get through. This is most likely the case if by approaching the router you are able to connect over 5 GHz.

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
From a purely RF point of view, 2.4GHz has better range than 5GHz due to being able to go through walls better. If other devices don't have issues connecting over 5Ghz from the same location, then the issue may be the WiFi antenna design and/or the case material which makes it difficult for higher frequencies to get through. This is most likely the case if by approaching the router you are able to connect over 5 GHz.

This would be fine but I have issues when connected to 2.4ghz when 5ghz is enabled. After I turned off 5ghz its stable so this is not a signal issue, this is some type of driver or kernel issue.

aspj111

Jun 5, 2011
New Jersey
This would be fine but I have issues when connected to 2.4ghz when 5ghz is enabled. After I turned off 5ghz its stable so this is not a signal issue, this is some type of driver or kernel issue.

I believe your correct, hopefully HTC will adress it.In the mean time at least it's a bit more stable so far switching to 2.4

mattymon

Oct 6, 2010
Toronto
Switching your ip to static also works! lets you keep the frequencies on auto. Good for your home wifi. For other locations i guess set it back to 2.4ghz. Hopefully HTC addresses this sometime soon.

Top Liked Posts