[Video] Verizon On my nexus 5

Search This thread

St3rdroids

Dec 31, 2011
Took the sim out of my Verizon s4 and was determined to get this N5 up and running on big red.
I have full lte after a lot of tweaks that I probably shouldn't post right now do to what it could possibly do to a phone.
If you are a Dev and think you can do more with this let me know and I'll get you to where I'm at. I'm just a themer with basic dev knowledge. As you can see there is no signal to text or call. I've had bars a few times but that's it. As you see I'm on L. I had to crop one screen on phone because of upload size restrictions.

Youtube video Screencast:
http://youtu.be/gsqtxGojofM
Screens:
Screenshot_2014-08-20-17-59-21.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-17-59-05.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-18-03-11.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-18-06-47.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-16-52-14.png

IMG_20140820_185105.jpg

Last edited:

upndwn4par

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
Looks interesting so far. I can't recall whether this device supports VZW's frequencies. If not, calls may never work.

I'll assume you modified the APN for VZW. Did you try modifying the radio?

If you post what you did to get data working, other members may have some additional suggestions to get you moving again.

Reactions: TheLastSidekick

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
its been gotten to, the lte connecting. but it's the calling ability that cant be done. i dont remember what all really came about, but i do remember thst the calling ability is the real issue. the nexus 5 doesnt have the ability to make phonecalls via lte. if you search the forums here, maybe you can find the thread.

St3rdroids

Dec 31, 2011
its been gotten to, the lte connecting. but it's the calling ability that cant be done. i dont remember what all really came about, but i do remember thst the calling ability is the real issue. the nexus 5 doesnt have the ability to make phonecalls via lte. if you search the forums here, maybe you can find the thread.
I'm no expert but I don't see why it can't. With some kind of modification to radio or whatever.

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
geez, if you could get me to that point it be so sweet.

Calls won't work for two reasons 1) I don't think Verizon uses VoLTE yet, and 2) calls still use 1x, just like Sprint, and you have to have the MEID (IMEI minus last digit I believe) in Verizon's database. Technically it should work on Page Plus and I think I saw a thread here on how to flash it for PP. I'm kind of surprised Verizon LTE works as most of the bands for Verizon's LTE don't coincide with the N5 IIRC. I could be wrong about that though. Also it's probably like any other GSM carrier, once you activate the SIM card in a carrier based phone, you can stick it in another phone and it should just activate. The only reason you have to change IMEIs is for the EVDO/1x backwards compatibility.

coolguy71261

Oct 9, 2010
Calls won't work for two reasons 1) I don't think Verizon uses VoLTE yet, and 2) calls still use 1x, just like Sprint, and you have to have the MEID (IMEI minus last digit I believe) in Verizon's database. Technically it should work on Page Plus and I think I saw a thread here on how to flash it for PP. I'm kind of surprised Verizon LTE works as most of the bands for Verizon's LTE don't coincide with the N5 IIRC. I could be wrong about that though. Also it's probably like any other GSM carrier, once you activate the SIM card in a carrier based phone, you can stick it in another phone and it should just activate. The only reason you have to change IMEIs is for the EVDO/1x backwards compatibility.
Volte should be working by q2015 everywhere

Johmama

Apr 2, 2013
I really need to remember to watch OP's video when I get home. This is very exciting. So to get data, you had to activate a Verizon device and swap SIMs, right? After that, the only thing not working is the CDMA voice? So in theory, if the above poser's link is correct (Verizon rolling out VoLTE soon) I could actually switch to them?

It's Verizon so I probably wouldn't do it permanently, but it would be cool to try for a month, if for nothing more than a proof of concept or neat trick. Hope Verizon does that soon.

Sinfamy

Aug 15, 2011
steamcommunity.com
This just won't work bro, not on CDMA.
I worked for Sprint and their system is the same.

The SIM card is strictly for LTE, everything else goes over the CDMA network, which requires server authentication.
Even when VoLTE will roll out, that authentication will remain in place.

j'vai

Apr 23, 2014
wash dc
he can get voice & sms on it, though not via the sim card number;

I replied to the video with -

"..though it won't be your Verizon mobile number;

you could try using ring.to / grooveIP for voice / sms via the lte connection..

I use that as a back up number on sprint, mostly for lte , wifi , evdo routed calls,

even gsm / hspa+ & wifi when sim swapped out of the country on my nexus 5.

after editing the echo settings, it should work wonders thru that Verizon lte connection.."

Reactions: simms22

j'vai

Apr 23, 2014
wash dc
People have got data in the past. Its voice that's the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

just thought of something, real simple..

the cdma radio authentication is what's stopping the nexus 5 from being on Verizon,

but... **does the lte band need the same authentication**?

let's just say, on my nexus 5, with the new google voice hangouts / sprint number integration,

i go through the dialer into settings to toggle **lte only** which disables the cdma radio,

pop in a Verizon unlimited data sim, in an area with verizon's band 4..

over the top, voip service on lte..?

~shrugz shoulderz~

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Took the sim out of my Verizon s4 and was determined to get this N5 up and running on big red.
    I have full lte after a lot of tweaks that I probably shouldn't post right now do to what it could possibly do to a phone.
    If you are a Dev and think you can do more with this let me know and I'll get you to where I'm at. I'm just a themer with basic dev knowledge. As you can see there is no signal to text or call. I've had bars a few times but that's it. As you see I'm on L. I had to crop one screen on phone because of upload size restrictions.

Youtube video Screencast:
    http://youtu.be/gsqtxGojofM
    Screens:
    Screenshot_2014-08-20-17-59-21.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-17-59-05.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-18-03-11.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-18-06-47.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-16-52-14.png

IMG_20140820_185105.jpg
    Looks interesting so far. I can't recall whether this device supports VZW's frequencies. If not, calls may never work.

I'll assume you modified the APN for VZW. Did you try modifying the radio?

If you post what you did to get data working, other members may have some additional suggestions to get you moving again.
    Posted a video of me getting data after a fresh wipe and install of L.
    he can get voice & sms on it, though not via the sim card number;

I replied to the video with -

"..though it won't be your Verizon mobile number;

you could try using ring.to / grooveIP for voice / sms via the lte connection..

I use that as a back up number on sprint, mostly for lte , wifi , evdo routed calls,

even gsm / hspa+ & wifi when sim swapped out of the country on my nexus 5.

after editing the echo settings, it should work wonders thru that Verizon lte connection.."