[ROOT][HOWTO] Disable Lockscreen Ads

Search This thread

Souple

Jun 21, 2014
WARNING: I am not responsible for any bricked devices caused by attempting this howto. If you haven't read this how to twice, and fully understand the requirements, then please don't attempt it.

Introduction (not important):
First, this may not be the best way to do this, and if someone knows a better way, I'll be happy to listen.
I kinda stumbled across this solution after trying the many other ways to solve the problem, but all the other ways seemed to have something incomplete with them and ended with no ADS, but no something else, like rotating lock screens or something.

I started with the assumption that the ADS program (dtcp) can be disabled through a flag somewhere on the system, for if you pay the extra $20 you get a kindle with no ADS, but same Android build. After looking through lots of sqlite databases I found it in the com.android.providers.settings/settings.db file.

Prerequisites:
  • Basic knowledge of databases
  • SQLite Editor Pro (Free on 1Mobile Market)
  • DroidWall

Steps:
  1. Open SQLite Editor
  2. Open "Settings Storage" (com.android.providers.settings)
  3. Open settings.db
  4. open "global" table
  5. Highlight entry "IS_DTCP_ENABLED"
  6. Click the Edit Record button at the top
  7. Change the value from a 1 to a 0
  8. Click Save
  9. Go back
  10. Make same change on the "secure" table
  11. Reboot kindle for new options to take effect.

Other Thoughts:
This just changes the value temporarily until the device checks back in with Amazon and then the value will get overridden again with the correct value. To prevent that install DroidWall and whitelist only the applications you need to access the internet. DroidWall requires root, which is why root is in the subject. But you should be doing this anyways to prevent OTA updates.

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
cool

Does this mean that you will now get the rotating native wallpapers that you would have if you paid for the dismissal of the ads? Currently I use adaway on my s4 hotspot and the only one I blacklist is (spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com) this has blocked updates because I am still on old software with no other blocking in place and I have noticed it also has blocked rotateing ads accept I have the same 1 at all times.

Edit: YAY !!!! and yes I now have rotating native wallpapers
Btw thank you for sharing and it is quite refreshing to see a new member join to share useful information in a well thought out and presented OP and not just join to start a thread with a question that is the heading of so many other threads that has been beat to death already..burying perfectly good information..thank you for joining us at XDA!

Attachments

• 20140621_181525.jpg
    20140621_181525.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 597
Last edited:
Reactions: alireza21

bower95

May 11, 2011
Awesome!!!! have been looking for a way to do this without factory reset for a while! You da man! Gonna spam that thanks button for a while lol

dras99

Mar 13, 2013
Anyone know what exactly I need to enable in droidwall to have internet but no ota updates or Amazon changing the lock screen back to ads?

earlgrey_44

Aug 24, 2009
Chicago
This mod works fine. No ads, rotating wallpapers appear every time. No reversion to black screen. No need for Droidwall. Use of Droidwall is impractical for this purpose. Who knows what not to include in some giant white list?

It appears that the wallpapers will continue to appear without reversion if you have blocked updates using the root kit.

Last edited:

dras99

Mar 13, 2013
This mod works fine. No ads, rotating wallpapers appear every time. No reversion to black screen. No need for Droidwall. Use of Droidwall is impractical for this purpose. Who knows what not to include in some giant white list?

It appears that the wallpapers will continue to appear without reversion if you have blocked updates using the root kit.

Sorry, what's the root kit?

earlgrey_44

Aug 24, 2009
Chicago

conan1600

Jan 9, 2011
First link in this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53451623&postcount=3

I assume the block update action from the rootkit is responsible for the lack of reversion to ads since I haven't done anything else except the steps I outlined in the post and the data base tweaks explained above. My kindle has been running for 5 days now without ads and with the startup wallpaper.

I also blocked updates with the root kit. Then I followed this tutorial and it worked great however it did revert back to adds after a reboot or 2.

conan1600

Jan 9, 2011
Strange! What's different about my install I wonder?

I'm left scratching my head over that as well. Tomorrow I will re run the ota block script as I'm now concerned that it perhaps did not do something correctly. I did check for updates and it says last update failed but better safe than sorry. I DO NOT want to end up getting updated again. I finally have this tablet running rather nicely and am quite satisfied with most aspects. Still need much more customization options but it's serviceable now. And this tablet has always had the best touch input response of any I've ever used. I'd hate to have to throw it back in the closet.

Last edited:

kociubin

Jan 25, 2008
Script

For anyone who wants to run this from command line (e.g. on reboot or network change event) you can create a script like below and use SManager to run it periodically. You will first need to install sqlite3 binary (google "SQLite Installer for Root").

Here is the script that needs to be executed as root:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
sqlite3 -batch /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update global SET value='0' where name='IS_DTCP_ENABLED'";
sqlite3 -batch /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update secure SET value='0' where name='IS_DTCP_ENABLED'";

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: I am not responsible for any bricked devices caused by attempting this howto. If you haven't read this how to twice, and fully understand the requirements, then please don't attempt it.

Introduction (not important):
    First, this may not be the best way to do this, and if someone knows a better way, I'll be happy to listen.
    I kinda stumbled across this solution after trying the many other ways to solve the problem, but all the other ways seemed to have something incomplete with them and ended with no ADS, but no something else, like rotating lock screens or something.

I started with the assumption that the ADS program (dtcp) can be disabled through a flag somewhere on the system, for if you pay the extra $20 you get a kindle with no ADS, but same Android build. After looking through lots of sqlite databases I found it in the com.android.providers.settings/settings.db file.

Prerequisites:
    • Basic knowledge of databases
    • SQLite Editor Pro (Free on 1Mobile Market)
    • DroidWall

Steps:
    1. Open SQLite Editor
    2. Open "Settings Storage" (com.android.providers.settings)
    3. Open settings.db
    4. open "global" table
    5. Highlight entry "IS_DTCP_ENABLED"
    6. Click the Edit Record button at the top
    7. Change the value from a 1 to a 0
    8. Click Save
    9. Go back
    10. Make same change on the "secure" table
    11. Reboot kindle for new options to take effect.

Other Thoughts:
    This just changes the value temporarily until the device checks back in with Amazon and then the value will get overridden again with the correct value. To prevent that install DroidWall and whitelist only the applications you need to access the internet. DroidWall requires root, which is why root is in the subject. But you should be doing this anyways to prevent OTA updates.
    First link in this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53451623&postcount=3

I assume the block update action from the rootkit is responsible for the lack of reversion to ads since I haven't done anything else except the steps I outlined in the post and the data base tweaks explained above. My kindle has been running for 5 days now without ads and with the startup wallpaper.

I also blocked updates with the root kit. Then I followed this tutorial and it worked great however it did revert back to adds after a reboot or 2.
    Script

For anyone who wants to run this from command line (e.g. on reboot or network change event) you can create a script like below and use SManager to run it periodically. You will first need to install sqlite3 binary (google "SQLite Installer for Root").

Here is the script that needs to be executed as root:

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    sqlite3 -batch /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update global SET value='0' where name='IS_DTCP_ENABLED'";
    sqlite3 -batch /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "update secure SET value='0' where name='IS_DTCP_ENABLED'";
    cool

Does this mean that you will now get the rotating native wallpapers that you would have if you paid for the dismissal of the ads? Currently I use adaway on my s4 hotspot and the only one I blacklist is (spectrum.s3.amazonaws.com) this has blocked updates because I am still on old software with no other blocking in place and I have noticed it also has blocked rotateing ads accept I have the same 1 at all times.

Edit: YAY !!!! and yes I now have rotating native wallpapers
    Btw thank you for sharing and it is quite refreshing to see a new member join to share useful information in a well thought out and presented OP and not just join to start a thread with a question that is the heading of so many other threads that has been beat to death already..burying perfectly good information..thank you for joining us at XDA!
    Thanks so much, that was easy!