[ROM][NDC][STOCK][4.4.2][KITKAT][ROOTED][ODEXED/DEODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile

Search This thread

remotehugger

Mar 5, 2012
DeWitt
that's cool the kernel worked - so you were stock unrooted and took the OTA to NJ3 then flashed this ROM ?

from my VM SGS3 - jdsingle76's rooted 4.4.2 NDC - stock kernel (for now ?) ?

allrockedout

Mar 31, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
OnePlus 9
It was stuck at 3% even when off. The cable just went bad. It was just kinda weird because it happened at the same time as some other issues. But it's charging again. Sadly somebody at Thanksgiving dinner mixed up and stole my original Samsung charger, which sucks. :(

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Can you root on the NJ3 baseband? If there's a signal improvement with NJ3 and I can root it that would be great. I'm in somewhat of a dead spot in the bottom floor of my house; I lose LTE in and around my house. It comes back after less than half a block. Pretty frustrating.

I'm rooted on NJ3, but If your on ndc, use odin to go back to stock. Boot up download update, the update will flash in stock recovery. Than odin Philz or twrp recovery. Than flash supersu zip in recovery.

Reactions: jdsingle76

allrockedout

Mar 31, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
OnePlus 9
that's cool the kernel worked - so you were stock unrooted and took the OTA to NJ3 then flashed this ROM ?

I Odin to stock, took the update, but than I flashed this ndc rom. Was having problems. So I flashed ktoonz kernel and everything's fixed but I'm only getting 3g. If your going to take the update I would say stay on stock rom and do no flash anything else unless you have a nandroid backup. I messed up by odin to stock, than I flashed this rom in stock recovery than I updated to the nj3. So I have no official nj3 backup. I had no idea the update contained updated modem.

Reactions: remotehugger

remotehugger

Mar 5, 2012
DeWitt
I tried ktoonez kernel and I lose data and WiFi -

strangelady

Oct 13, 2013
JD, you've helped me before, I'm hoping you can help me again.

Can I use this to return to stock? Flash the NDC Modem, then flash this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53194487#post53194487, and will I be back on stock?

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

I just realized I have it freaking backwards. Flash the second thing first [FULL RESTORE][TAR] Stock NDC Odin FLASHABLE [4.4.2] [BOOST/VM] and THEN the modem? Do I even need to flash the modem?

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Motorola Edge+ (2022)
JD, you've helped me before, I'm hoping you can help me again.

Can I use this to return to stock? Flash the NDC Modem, then flash this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53194487#post53194487, and will I be back on stock?

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

I just realized I have it freaking backwards. Flash the second thing first [FULL RESTORE][TAR] Stock NDC Odin FLASHABLE [4.4.2] [BOOST/VM] and THEN the modem? Do I even need to flash the modem?

The modem is already in the full stock tar.
So no, you don't need to flash the modem.

Reactions: strangelady

strangelady

Oct 13, 2013
The modem is already in the full stock tar.
So no, you don't need to flash the modem.

Good because it all came up roses so I didn't think I would need to! Ahhh this is so good my phone is working again.

--I don't think I could have flashed the modem anyway? Or I could have, but I couldn't guess what could go wrong doing that. Once it came back up it told me I had a System Update (which I received) and it put me back on NJ3. Now I would just like to root it and get my backups from TB.

--I should clarify that I know how to do all the rest hahahahaaaa I never want to do this again. My S3 is such a perfect phone, I don't know what I was thinking. Or, uh, I WAS thinking that "I've had it a year and I'm probably going to get a new phone soon so LET'S PLAY". It isn't like my Triumph or Evo V or even the S2. It's precious to me. I've learned my lesson. I hope you never see me again in these forums but I am oh so sorry if you do (you probably will I can't resist playing with my phones)

Last edited:

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
Good because it all came up roses so I didn't think I would need to! Ahhh this is so good my phone is working again.

--I don't think I could have flashed the modem anyway? Or I could have, but I couldn't guess what could go wrong doing that. Once it came back up it told me I had a System Update (which I received) and it put me back on NJ3. Now I would just like to root it and get my backups from TB.

--I should clarify that I know how to do all the rest hahahahaaaa I never want to do this again. My S3 is such a perfect phone, I don't know what I was thinking. Or, uh, I WAS thinking that "I've had it a year and I'm probably going to get a new phone soon so LET'S PLAY". It isn't like my Triumph or Evo V or even the S2. It's precious to me. I've learned my lesson. I hope you never see me again in these forums but I am oh so sorry if you do (you probably will I can't resist playing with my phones)
Sorry, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Did you get everything working ok @strangelady? If so, thanks @MadHat and to everyone helping keep things rolling in here!

mbolden

May 15, 2008
St Petersburg
simplymarkb.com
awesome work JD, I don't post a lot because I do a lot of reading and I find I do not usually have to post because if you do your research everything is covered. But this one has me concerned as it seems a little out of my league. I do not think I am a noob but, not far past. I have a galaxy s3 I rooted it myself and I'm running 4.3., I noticed you mentioned Odin and flashing my custom recovery, I am already running clockworkmod do I have to use Odin? Can't I just flash that car and then the zip using the custom recovery I already have? It's business as usual right? Just flash those items in the order and then the new modem and I'm good to go? And if I have to revert back to back up will I be able to do that? Will I be able to revert back to 4.3? Just a little nervous and thank you for all of your hard work and answering my question in advance. I love the work you guys do and I think it's awesome everyone in this community stick together and help each other. Anyways I will lay back in the bushes and patiently watch for a response!

When I installed the NDC rom on my VM GS3 it disables the WiFi, when I installed the ND8 version everything works but since its on Sprint I get no data. Suggestions?

-SimplyMarkB

marcran75

Jul 22, 2013
Syracuse,NY
When I installed the NDC rom on my VM GS3 it disables the WiFi, when I installed the ND8 version everything works but since its on Sprint I get no data. Suggestions?

-SimplyMarkB

VM is a subsidiary of Sprint. I've been running Sprint roms on my VM GS3 since I got it. If you dial ##72786# on your dialer it will re-activate the phone for you to get your data working. This is the first I've heard of the WiFi issue. Very strange since this is made specifically for Boost/VM.

Edit: Replied kind of late last night. What firmware are you running. If you are running NDC bootloader this rom should work fine. If you are on ND8 bootloader you will need to flash kernel located here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29426212
Same goes if you are running NDC bootloader with Sprint rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: remotehugger

hjason7812

Jul 31, 2011
STOP!!! PLEASE READ!!! Before you flash this zip file in recovery, you MUST FIRST flash either the NDC tar(see below for link),
or the ND8 tar, in order to obtain the KK bootloader and modem. If you flash this directly over JellyBean bootloader, you WILL brick!!

Alright folks, here we go again. Just as the title says, this is the NDC 4.4.2 Kit Kat update for Boost/VM in flashable zip.
Stock, rooted, busybox, zipaligned, odex or deodex. That’s it. Pretty basic. More to come in the future, but this should be enough
to keep you busy for awhile. Enjoy!

Notes: PLEASE READ!
1. In order for this to work, you need to flash the NDC tar first! Flashing the tar will/should not wipe your data.

2. And yes, NDC tar does come with Knox, so if you flash the tar, you have Knox. And if you flash CWM via Odin to flash this,
it WILL trip Knox, thus voiding your warranty.

3. This MAY cause you to lose your modem, but not to fear, we got you covered.
Google, Samsung, XDA – For obvious reasons
@JustArchi – For the Kitchen
@Phil3759 - For your awesome recovery
@Agent4834 – For catching the tar ball in Kies
@Chainfire – SuperSU and everything else you do and continue to do. You’re a magician.
@CNexus – For being there to bounce ideas off of, keeping me out of trouble!
@tdunham - For being a great sounding board and resource! So glad you’re on the S5 now!
@moonknightus- - For the modem. Good looking out brother.
Download Links:
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for whatever you do with your phone. Please flash at your own risk!

Issues:
1. Kills Modem - Solved, just flash the modem in the link!
2. Conflicts with the "MobileZone," whatever that is - Solved - See Post #2
3. This is an early run, so there may be hiccups. You tell me!

How do i flash the modem? It is not a tar file or anything. Odin won't see the file for the modem..
Please someone respond asap i can't get any signal from towers due to the modem not working..

Thanks

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer
How do i flash the modem? It is not a tar file or anything. Odin won't see the file for the modem..
Please someone respond asap i can't get any signal from towers due to the modem not working..

Thanks
Flash it in a custom recovery like Philz or TWRP or see if there is a tar file inside the zip.

SKNur2l.jpg

rstanford2

Jan 15, 2016
Modem file not working

Hi there I am having a issue with getting the modem to work. I had to roll back to version 4.3. I am wondering if the issue with the modem not working is because the phone is a Tir-Band SHP-L710 L710TVPU0AOH1. I have read just about all of the post related to the modem issue and did not see any post with a fix for the Tri-Band phone. Has anyone out there run into this problem and got it fixed? By the way the phone was originally on 4.2.2 and in my infinite wisdom I decided try and update to Lollipop 5.0. When I tried to restore my backup the phone just boots and all the apps force closes. I guess that TWRP backup is corrupted. One more thing the NDC "L710VPUCNDC_L710SPTCNDC_L710VPUCNDC_HOME.tar" update fails in Odin for some reason.

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Motorola Edge+ (2022)
Hi there I am having a issue with getting the modem to work. I had to roll back to version 4.3. I am wondering if the issue with the modem not working is because the phone is a Tir-Band SHP-L710 L710TVPU0AOH1. I have read just about all of the post related to the modem issue and did not see any post with a fix for the Tri-Band phone. Has anyone out there run into this problem and got it fixed? By the way the phone was originally on 4.2.2 and in my infinite wisdom I decided try and update to Lollipop 5.0. When I tried to restore my backup the phone just boots and all the apps force closes. I guess that TWRP backup is corrupted. One more thing the NDC "L710VPUCNDC_L710SPTCNDC_L710VPUCNDC_HOME.tar" update fails in Odin for some reason.

Dude, ndc is not for the triband. That causes all kinds of bad things. You need a .tar for the triband. Oh1 or nf4.
The triband never had 4.3 so trying to flash that can hard brick you. If it didn't brick you, thank your lucky stars.
The reason you borked after trying to restore back to KitKat after lollipop is because of the way lollipop encrypts internal storage. You gotta read up before you go flashing.
To restore your KitKat backup, first you have to wipe internal storage (data/media) so make sure your backups are on your external sd card.
After you wipe internal storage your backup should work fine.

Only odin .tars for the triband, oh1(triband version) or nf4. DO NOT odin ndc, nd8, or nj2. Definitely not mk3 or mk5 (4.3) or you risk a hard brick.

Last edited:

rstanford2

Jan 15, 2016
Modem file not working

Thanks for the reply. Well the flash gods must be watching over me because I am working on the mk5 4.3 that was out there. I did do a lot of reading (two days worth) and nothing I read covered tri-band and I was already in a pickle with not being able to boot all the way to the desktop. That's what I get for not asking first when I couldn't find any info on this model phone before trying to upgrade it. Wiping cash, data, system, dalvik, and internal did not work unless I need to restore first then wipe all that stuff. I do at least have an external sdcard installed though so I am good there. Samsung does have the version 4.3 for this phone but Samsung Smart Switch will not let me update since it sees that I am already on 4.3. It working so I guess I will leave it alone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    STOP!!! PLEASE READ!!! Before you flash this zip file in recovery, you MUST FIRST flash either the NDC tar(see below for link),
    or the ND8 tar, in order to obtain the KK bootloader and modem. If you flash this directly over JellyBean bootloader, you WILL brick!!

Alright folks, here we go again. Just as the title says, this is the NDC 4.4.2 Kit Kat update for Boost/VM in flashable zip.
    Stock, rooted, busybox, zipaligned, odex or deodex. That’s it. Pretty basic. More to come in the future, but this should be enough
    to keep you busy for awhile. Enjoy!

Notes: PLEASE READ!
    1. In order for this to work, you need to flash the NDC tar first! Flashing the tar will/should not wipe your data.

2. And yes, NDC tar does come with Knox, so if you flash the tar, you have Knox. And if you flash CWM via Odin to flash this,
    it WILL trip Knox, thus voiding your warranty.

3. This MAY cause you to lose your modem, but not to fear, we got you covered.
    Google, Samsung, XDA – For obvious reasons
    @JustArchi – For the Kitchen
    @Phil3759 - For your awesome recovery
    @Agent4834 – For catching the tar ball in Kies
    @Chainfire – SuperSU and everything else you do and continue to do. You’re a magician.
    @CNexus – For being there to bounce ideas off of, keeping me out of trouble!
    @tdunham - For being a great sounding board and resource! So glad you’re on the S5 now!
    @moonknightus- - For the modem. Good looking out brother.
    Download Links:
    Flashing Instructions: (After flashing the NDC tar)

1. Download the ROM of your choice to your phone.
    2. Download the modem to your phone.
    3. Flash your latest TWRP, CWM, Philz, recovery, whatever you are using through Odin.
    I personally use Philz, exclusively. Found Here
    4. Reboot to recovery, wipe cache/dalvik
    5. Flash rom, takes a few minutes
    6. Flash modem.
    7. Reboot
    8. Profit
    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for whatever you do with your phone. Please flash at your own risk!

Issues:
    1. Kills Modem - Solved, just flash the modem in the link!
    2. Conflicts with the "MobileZone," whatever that is - Solved - See Post #2
    3. This is an early run, so there may be hiccups. You tell me!
    This is from jmatherly11, over at Android Forums, who found a good way to get rid of the "Samsung" title in the drop down, as well as some other stuff.

For those of you that are seeing "Samsung" in the pull down menu as well as the network type displaying "Samsung" there is a fix in the PlayStore, its called "Refresh Customization" by Samsung MNO Labs. This will factory reset your phone after you download select the first option called "Refresh Customization Opt1," if it is unsuccessful try "Opt2." This fixed my phone after the KitKat upgrade and if your like me and use Sensorly to map Sprint's network it will not correctly map the info because Sensorly thinks you on a network called "Samsung."

This app was designed for Samsung Galaxy devices ONLY running on Sprint's networks. If a Samsung device's initial customization settings has been lost due to the system upgrade to the KitKat platform then this is your fix. This also repairs the "My Account" app that displays "MobileZone."

Also my device is completely stock on 4.4 so for those of you that are rooted I have no idea if this will work.

His original post: Original Post
    Im VM but already flashed ND8. Working perfect so far and I dont mind the sprint labels as I used to be a sprint user before. Will the NDC be any better for my phone?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Most notice no change but you may have better reception with the NDC modem, no guarantees. They are about the same, just carrier specific. You can always flash back to ND8 tar if you do decide to try it, just fyi.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
    I wanna try the stock rooted deodexed version

Lol....then try it :)

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
    awesome work JD, I don't post a lot because I do a lot of reading and I find I do not usually have to post because if you do your research everything is covered. But this one has me concerned as it seems a little out of my league. I do not think I am a noob but, not far past. I have a galaxy s3 I rooted it myself and I'm running 4.3., I noticed you mentioned Odin and flashing my custom recovery, I am already running clockworkmod do I have to use Odin? Can't I just flash that car and then the zip using the custom recovery I already have? It's business as usual right? Just flash those items in the order and then the new modem and I'm good to go? And if I have to revert back to back up will I be able to do that? Will I be able to revert back to 4.3? Just a little nervous and thank you for all of your hard work and answering my question in advance. I love the work you guys do and I think it's awesome everyone in this community stick together and help each other. Anyways I will lay back in the bushes and patiently watch for a response!

Question 1: Do you have to use Odin?
    Answer: You'll need to be on the ND8 or NDC bootloader for this to work. When he says you have to use Odin, he means for flashing the stock tar for either the Sprint ND8 or the Boost/Virgin NDC ROMs. The tar files can't be flashed from recovery and please don't try to use Mobile Odin, as it doesn't like ND8/NDC.

Question 2: Can you revert back to 4.3?
    Answer: You can revert to 4.3 insomuch as using a 4.3 ROM. You can either flash a 4.3 zip from recovery or restore a CWM/TWRP/etc. backup . You will not be able to revert your modem or bootloader to anything prior to ND8 after flashing the ND8/NDC bootloader. It just doesn't work.

Hope that helps.