[MOD][ROOT] Audio Hacks and Modifications + New Insanely Loud Volume Hack!! (post 2)

Search This thread

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
www.androidaudiohacks.com
PLEASE READ: I've noticed quite a few ROM devs are using my files without crediting me or linking back to this thread. I don't want people to start asking my permission or anything, feel free to use these files in your own work, but I worked hard trying to get my head round these files; finding out just what everything does and what the volume limits are. If you do use the modified files or modify your own using my guide please at least give me some credit. Thanks.

I've also made an Application that can do this for you. It can be found here.

PART 1

File: 'System/etc/default_gain.conf'

Hey everyone!
For those who remember my old volume hack on the T-Mobile G1, this is essentially the same thing! For some bizarre reason, Samsung decided to map all the maximum volume levels to an easily accessible file (system/etc/default_gain.conf), which is different to 99% of Android phones out there because it's usually built into the kernel or something harder to modify. Cheers Samsung!

THIS MOD WILL MAKE THE PHONE'S SPEAKER AS LOUD AS THE OS ALLOWS. ANY LOUDER AND THE AUDIO BREAKS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Things this modification can achieve:
Louder Speaker Volume (Ringtones/Messages/Videos/MusicPlayer/etc.)
Louder In-Call Volume (Earpiece and Speakerphone)

Louder Headset Volume (Perhaps - untested)
Louder Bluetooth Volume (Perhaps - untested)
Louder Analogue Dock Volume (Perhaps - untested)
Louder Digital AUX Volume (Perhaps - untested)
Louder FM Radio Volume (Perhaps - untested)

There are a few others in that file too. It's weird that instead of defining the Headset Volume for everything, things like 'incall' and 'FMradio' are all separate.

How To Modify
Any text editor will do but I strongly recommend Notepad++ because it's just awesome!

How To Apply
1) Download attatched file ('default_gain.conf' inside 'VolumeMods.zip')
2) Use a file manager or ADB to push it to "system/etc" (back up existing file first!)
3) From ADB or the Terminal do:
Code:
killall mediaserver
or reboot your phone!
4) Enjoy :)

PART 2

File: 'System/etc/Volume.db'

This isn't really an audio hack as such, it simply allows you to disable some irritating sounds you cannot normally disable.

What this mod disables:
Camera Shutter Sound 1
Camera Shutter Sound 2
Camera Shutter Sound 3
Boot Sound
Camcorder Sounds
AutoFocus Sound

All this is so far useful for is to disable the camera sounds without modifying the camera itself.
There are most likely other things this file can do but I've not had chance to play with it properly yet, I'll keep going and update this post if I find anything else.

How To Modify
I strongly recommend using the free "SQL Lite Databse Browser". Any program that can open .db files should work just fine though.

How To Apply
1) Download attatched file ('Volume.db' inside 'VolumeMods.zip')
2) Use a file manager or ADB to push it to "system/etc" (back up existing file first!)
Code:
killall mediaserver
or reboot your phone!

All the usual warnings apply: I am NOT responsible if this breaks your phone, speaker or ear-drums and I am not responsible for anything else negative that may occur. If you rooted your phone you should know how to recover from potential soft-bricks, etc. It's your responsibility, not mine.

Flashable Zips

Many thanks to Jesus_c and GadgetCheck
Based on update.zip by GadgetCheck

60_sound_mod - max vol = 60 (boot sound on, camera sound off)
63_sound_mod - max vol = 63 (boot sound on, camera sound off)
63S_sound_mod - max vol = 63 (boot sound off, camera sound off)

Backup_sound_mod - original unmodified files

all zips CWM flashible

Zip Downloads can be found here.

Attachments

• VolumeMods.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 70,397
Last edited:

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Insane Volume Boost

As the name suggests, this extra little mod (to the same file) will increase the volume even higher. Seriously high. I wouldn't recommend doing this as it distorts to hell and will most likely damage the speaker in the long run.

For those of you crazy enough to give this a go, here are the instructions:

1) Take the 'default_gain.conf' file (attached to the first post)
2) Search for the following section:
Code:
Modifier "Normal" {
  Supported Device {
    "Speaker"
  }
  Enable {...
and then look for
Code:
 { "AIF1 Boost Volume",
Change the value after that to whatever you want. The highest I've dared to go is 55. 55 is PLENTY loud enough, but you can probably go higher.

DISCLAIMER
The volume is getting absolutely ridiculous now. Be seriously careful if you decide to do this because it can go insanely loud and will most probably damage your speaker. You have been warned!!

Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

benny6812

Jan 6, 2010
"THIS MOD WILL MAKE THE PHONE'S SPEAKER AS LOUD AS THE OS ALLOWS. ANY LOUDER AND THE AUDIO BREAKS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!"

Can you clarify this please. Do you mean that you have cranked the values up as high as sound quality allows??

Reactions: elipet

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
"THIS MOD WILL MAKE THE PHONE'S SPEAKER AS LOUD AS THE OS ALLOWS. ANY LOUDER AND THE AUDIO BREAKS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!"

Can you clarify this please. Do you mean that you have cranked the values up as high as sound quality allows??

I've turned it up as loud as the phone will allow. It's currently set to '63' but setting it to '64' breaks the audio so you end up with no sound until you change it back. It doesn't seem to distort that much either; the SGS3's speaker is surprisingly good! :)

benny6812

Jan 6, 2010
Okay, I'll be the first to try it out...reporting back in a min

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Probably just me but I didn't notice any difference except that MAYBE the drop effect during unlock was louder

Actually, I think that the notifications are louder which i like :D

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
Don't suppose a flashable zip would be available for this mate?

(as in where you don't have to do all the notead,etc stuff)

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
im on AOKP and there is no default_gain.conf file on system/etc :confused:

Aokp is no Samsung rom, so it can't be there. But probably the kernel supports the file as cm9 kernel is based on Samsung open source code. However if it is a proprietary module that reads the file that is not in the rom, then there is no way.

–—–—–—–—–—–—–—–—
tapatalked from Galaxy SIII

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Don't suppose a flashable zip would be available for this mate?

(as in where you don't have to do all the notead,etc stuff)

You don't have to modify anything, just download the attached zip, move the 'default_gain.conf' file to your phone and use root explorer or something to put it in the 'system/etc' folder. Or you can just "adb push C:/link/to/default_gain.conf' system/etc".
Much quicker and easier than flashing a zip :)

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
I'm using Omega;s AOKP & it works great. Had to move the 2 files to /system/etc is instructed from the OP.

TYVM!

I nearly went deaf after starting ME, had to lower the volume down. I can tell the big difference with this mod, no more blasting the volume at max to be able to hear anything.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Stock headphones .
4 ok. 5 bit to loud. 6 far to loud.

This mod.
1 ok. 2 loud. 3 to loud. 4 no way.

Problem is constant background hiss .
Think I will lower the numbers s bit in the file and see the result.

jje

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

katsuru

Apr 19, 2010
Herford, Germany
I'm using Omega;s AOKP & it works great. Had to move the 2 files to /system/etc is instructed from the OP.

TYVM!

I nearly went deaf after starting ME, had to lower the volume down. I can tell the big difference with this mod, no more blasting the volume at max to be able to hear anything.

You using an AOKP rom and this worked for you? :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ: I've noticed quite a few ROM devs are using my files without crediting me or linking back to this thread. I don't want people to start asking my permission or anything, feel free to use these files in your own work, but I worked hard trying to get my head round these files; finding out just what everything does and what the volume limits are. If you do use the modified files or modify your own using my guide please at least give me some credit. Thanks.

I've also made an Application that can do this for you. It can be found here.

PART 1

File: 'System/etc/default_gain.conf'

Hey everyone!
    For those who remember my old volume hack on the T-Mobile G1, this is essentially the same thing! For some bizarre reason, Samsung decided to map all the maximum volume levels to an easily accessible file (system/etc/default_gain.conf), which is different to 99% of Android phones out there because it's usually built into the kernel or something harder to modify. Cheers Samsung!

THIS MOD WILL MAKE THE PHONE'S SPEAKER AS LOUD AS THE OS ALLOWS. ANY LOUDER AND THE AUDIO BREAKS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Things this modification can achieve:
    Louder Speaker Volume (Ringtones/Messages/Videos/MusicPlayer/etc.)
    Louder In-Call Volume (Earpiece and Speakerphone)

Louder Headset Volume (Perhaps - untested)
    Louder Bluetooth Volume (Perhaps - untested)
    Louder Analogue Dock Volume (Perhaps - untested)
    Louder Digital AUX Volume (Perhaps - untested)
    Louder FM Radio Volume (Perhaps - untested)

There are a few others in that file too. It's weird that instead of defining the Headset Volume for everything, things like 'incall' and 'FMradio' are all separate.

How To Modify
    Any text editor will do but I strongly recommend Notepad++ because it's just awesome!

How To Apply
    1) Download attatched file ('default_gain.conf' inside 'VolumeMods.zip')
    Code:
    killall mediaserver
    or reboot your phone!

PART 2

File: 'System/etc/Volume.db'

This isn't really an audio hack as such, it simply allows you to disable some irritating sounds you cannot normally disable.

What this mod disables:
    Camera Shutter Sound 1
    Camera Shutter Sound 2
    Camera Shutter Sound 3
    Boot Sound
    Camcorder Sounds
    AutoFocus Sound

All this is so far useful for is to disable the camera sounds without modifying the camera itself.
    There are most likely other things this file can do but I've not had chance to play with it properly yet, I'll keep going and update this post if I find anything else.

How To Modify
    I strongly recommend using the free "SQL Lite Databse Browser". Any program that can open .db files should work just fine though.

How To Apply
    1) Download attatched file ('Volume.db' inside 'VolumeMods.zip')
    Code:
    killall mediaserver
    or reboot your phone!

All the usual warnings apply: I am NOT responsible if this breaks your phone, speaker or ear-drums and I am not responsible for anything else negative that may occur. If you rooted your phone you should know how to recover from potential soft-bricks, etc. It's your responsibility, not mine.

Flashable Zips

Many thanks to Jesus_c and GadgetCheck

all zips CWM flashible

Zip Downloads can be found here.

all zips CWM flashible
    Insane Volume Boost

As the name suggests, this extra little mod (to the same file) will increase the volume even higher. Seriously high. I wouldn't recommend doing this as it distorts to hell and will most likely damage the speaker in the long run.

For those of you crazy enough to give this a go, here are the instructions:

1) Take the 'default_gain.conf' file (attached to the first post)
    2) Search for the following section:
    Code:
    Modifier "Normal" {
      Supported Device {
        "Speaker"
      }
      Enable {...
    and then look for
    Code:
     { "AIF1 Boost Volume",
    Change the value after that to whatever you want. The highest I've dared to go is 55. 55 is PLENTY loud enough, but you can probably go higher.

DISCLAIMER
    The volume is getting absolutely ridiculous now. Be seriously careful if you decide to do this because it can go insanely loud and will most probably damage your speaker. You have been warned!!

Enjoy ;)
    Hi Meltus,

great job, very impressive indeed.

I wonder whether you can guide me which values to change in the file to only have headphone volume boosted.

I was always happy with the speaker volume as such, so would like to not change that but boost the headphone to the maximum.

If you tell me which values to modify, I am happy to do that on my own.
    Or is that somehow linked together and therefore not possible?

Thanks a lot
    Andi

The file is incredibly detailed and each individual parameter can be changed.
    I'll list here everything I know about the file.

It's basically split up into 2 sections: The "Output Modifier Stage" and the "Input Modifier Stage". So the output stage controls volume and the input stage controls microphone gain, essentially. Under each stage you have a list of "Modifiers" and under each modifier you'll have the "Supported Devices".
    Here is the complete list of modifiers for the output stage (we're not interested in the input stage for now*):

Output Modifier Stage
    ---------------------
    Normal
    Incall
    Ringtone
    Dual Normal
    Incommunication
    Voipout
    SecVoipout
    FMRadio
    FMRadio_Mute
    Loopback
    LoopbackPacket

And here's a list of the devices for the Output Stage (many more in the input stage!):

Supported Devices (for the output modifiers)
    -------
    Earpiece
    Speaker
    Headset Out
    Headphone
    SCO
    SCO Headset Out
    SCO Carkit
    Analogue Dock Out
    AUX Digital Out

So how do we use this information?
    Well, let's say we wanted to boost the in-call volume:

As mentioned above, there are 2 things we need to keep an eye on; "Modifier" and "Supported Devices".
    So say you wanted to boost the volume during a call but only for the earpiece (and not for the headset, bluetooth, etc). Well, we find the correct modifier, which is "Incall" and then we find our correct device, which is "Earpiece". We navigate to that little section, find the "Output Volume" and increase the value! :)
    For "Speaker" related sections the value will be "Speaker Volume" and for the Headset it will be "Headset Volume". There may be other variations too.

Now, for your question; Boosting the headset volume:

For this we need: Modifier "Normal", Supported Device "Headphone".
    So, we search for this section (it's not very far down) and increase the value!

The section you are looking for should look like this:

Code:
    Modifier "Normal" {
    	SupportedDevice {
    		"Headphone"
    	}
    	Enable {
    		{ "Speaker Mixer Volume", 1 },
    		{ "Speaker Volume", 0 },
    		{ "Headphone ZC Switch", 0 },
    		{ "AIF1DAC1 Volume", 96 },
    		{ "AIF1 Boost Volume", 0 },
    		{ "DAC1 Volume", 96 },
    		{ "Left Output Mixer DAC Volume", 7 },
    		{ "Right Output Mixer DAC Volume", 7 },
    		{ "Headphone Volume", 50 },
    	}

Headphone Volume is the value you need to change.

Please note: If your headphones double up as a headset (you can place and receive calls with it) the phone might recognise it as "Headset Out" instead, I'm not sure. Probably better to change both.

So you can match each modifier up with each supported device and create a very complex audio configuration file.
    For example, match up the "Ringtone" with the "Headset/Headphones" section and you can control how loud the ringtone plays through the headset when a call comes in! This file's pretty in depth :p

We also now know that there is another volume controlling parameter called "AIF1 Boost Volume". This can boost the volume even further than you can with the normal "Output Volume" values, etc. (see post 2).

*Whilst we're not interested in the "Input" stage for this mod, it could be incredibly useful for tweaking microphone sensitivity. You can alter the input gain for during a call and for when you're recording a video.

This is my interpretation of the file. Whilst I know some of it is correct, some of it could also be completely wrong, there's just far too much to test. Please go easy on me if some of this is wrong! :D
    Loud it is..

But Distorts stuff!!

Any ways if you want to Flashey Flashey use the file below... flash via CWM :D