[Q] Bell Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000M firmware upgrade question

Search This thread

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
Greetings from a droid noob,

I have been trying to update my Galaxy Tab GT-P1000M using KIES, but KIES keeps telling me that I cannot update using KIES. I am very frustrated by this. It might be because the Tab I have used to be a display model used in stores. There is a continual demo screensaver that I can't disable either. It might be that there is something custom about it from Samsung/Bell for this functionality. I have never rooted the tab.

I then downloaded P1000MUGKF6_P1000MBMCKF6_BMC.ZIP from Bell to try to update to Gingerbread using Odin. This is where I get confused.

I have made many searches and there appear to be just a many versions of Odin as there are guides for the various phones out there. The instructions do not seem to follow the same pattern. Some say uncheck partition, some say leave it checked. Some use a PIT file, some don't. I really don't want to brick it.

I would really appreciate any help I can get on this. Step by step instructions would be especially helpful.

Model number: GT-P1000M
Firmware version: 2.2
Baseband version: P1000MUGJJ6
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 may.park@SEP-8 #3
Build number: FROYO.UGJJ6

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
Go to overcome site
Http://www.teamovercome.net

Read the guide,
Missing pictures can be seen here.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20974872
Follow the picture step by step.

Basically to restock:
Download GB-stock-safe-v5.zip, unzip it and and flash with ODIN according to the guide.

Stop there and you will have Gingerbread JQ1

You can continue with the rest, and you will get Overcome 4.1 and you won't regret.
From there you can then try AOKP or CM9, all requires you to have Overcome Kernel with its CWM recovery to flash.

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks, priyana. I have actually seen that guide before. However, I am not trying to root. I am just trying to either go back to the "stock" FROYO and get rid of the KIES trouble or update to Gingerbread using ODIN.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
"Stop there and you will have Gingerbread JQ1"
Not trying to root.
Read the guide images, it is exactly doing what you want. : flashing GB using ODIN.

BTW, no harm using the guide to apply your version of fimmware too.
Just use it as a guide for ODIN, what to put in what fields, what to tick, etc..

Also, it is good to hop on to GB stock safe first because that will get rid of bad bootloader, since some Froyo has locked bootloader.

Last edited:

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
Here is a step directly from the Guide section titled Preppin’ The System…

[REQUIRED FOR FROYO-BASED TABS ONLY:] Your Tab must be rooted.

Or am I understanding something wrong in those steps

Last edited:

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
Followed the pictures but I think I now have a brick. :(

My tab did not reboot itself as in the instructions. Instead it stayed in download mode. I rebooted manually...got the new start up sound and then got to the Samsung screen. It has been stuck on that for 10 minutes now.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
Hmm.. did you get all steps passed in ODIN?
No harm redoing it again, but make sure you follow every steps (i.e. parts that let it reboot itself, etc)

Edit: I missed that bit that you said it did not boot itself.
I think it is essential, could it be that you didn't wait long enough?
The good thing is I think you can reach download mode, meaning you have not screwed up the bootloader, likely the bootloader were flashed correctly.
Power down the tab, and re-enter download mode and re-flash but make sure it completes itself.

Last edited:

yappoe

Nov 23, 2011
Here, a very easy to follow going back to Gingerbread stock, follow carefully:

You can download any official firmware at http://fus.nanzen.se/

1a. Download Fus Check Downloader 2.1 from the above site. Using the Fus Check downloader, download a Firmware for your region. It will automatically decode the .enc2 file to.zip file
(For your case choose GT-P1000M)
1b. Download Odin3-v1.85

2. Extract the .zip file generated from decoding file to a folder and you will get
tar.md 5 file.

3. Start Odin - put the .md5 to PDA
3a. If your last firmware was gingerbread, leave everything else as is (No .pit file, leave repartition unchecked).
3b. If your last firmware was NOT gingerbread (get pitfile, and check the repartition) Note -- open up the.md5 package to check if there is a pitfile included,
as well as dbdata included. If they are included, you don't need to find pit file again, you can use it for your flash.

4. Go to download mode on the G-tab, connect it to your computer,
and click start on Odin. It takes about 6 to 7 minutes to do the flashing.

Last edited:

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
Good to know this! thanks.

I guess @ThiesWindu can try this way too, provided ODIN can see the tab.

Reactions: yappoe

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks, yappoe.

I am on step 3b. There was a tar file but no MD5. The tar file included a pit file but no dbdata.

I am going to try this. Fingers crossed.

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
Looks like I need that dbdata file as there was an error to that effect on the tab. However I did get further than last time. The tab is still stuck at the Samsung screen. :(

Where can I find that dbdata file?

Thanks

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
The issue was the dbdata.rfs file missing.

I found it here under misc notes.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9305891&postcount=1

It finally rebooted but what I got was the following message:

Sorry!
The application com.sec.android.app.samsungapps.una (process com.sec.android.app.samsungapps.una) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Is this something major or is it normal?

Thanks for the help so far.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
that is why I recommend Overcome GB Stock safe in the first place.
Too many people asking where is dbdata.rfs, factoryfs.rfs, pit files etc when using other method.

Could your problem stem from using dbdata.rfs from different ROM?

yappoe

Nov 23, 2011
that is why I recommend Overcome GB Stock safe in the first place.
Too many people asking where is dbdata.rfs, factoryfs.rfs, pit files etc when using other method.

Could your problem stem from using dbdata.rfs from different ROM?

Yes, of course, but he specifically wanted a non-rooted stock, and most likely from his region (and probably is ready to sell the tab for the newer tablet :( )

@ThiesWindu: one more step, and you should be done! (Hopefully :) -- Unless Priyana's fear is true... then the dbdata might not be for your Tab
go to Recovery Mode, and do a Factory Wipe and a Data Cache wipe.

Last edited:

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
The tab is working. The dbdata file seems to have done the trick. The tab works fine just takes longer to boot than before. Had to re-install a ton of apps though. I guess there are different versions for the different droid versions.

Is the slow down on boot up of concern? This is the first time I have done this.

Why would the stock not include it?

yappoe

Nov 23, 2011
First boot after flash always takes longer time. What happen is android is installing and configuring your device for the first time.

Dbdata, pit and bootloader are not always included in a packaged stock because some Releases are meant for 'upgrade'. Since these files rarely changed from version to version, it wouldn't be included.

That is also why Priyana directed you to Team Overcome's GB-Stock-safe, because they include everything in the package. But because they have complete package, sometimes it's overwhelming for some people to follow the instruction. :)

Perhaps now that you completed flashing your g-tab, if you go back to team overcome website, you will have less difficulties following their instruction.

Last edited:

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
It seems to take longer all the time. Once booted it seems smoother and faster than before.

I have a 2nd Galaxy Tab that I can compare the times to and then report back when I get home tonight.

Thanks again

ThiesWindu

Jun 5, 2012
Compared it to the other tab and the boot time actually improved a little. Guess nothing to worry about then.

Thanks for the help guys.

diwrat

Aug 18, 2015
updating your Canadian P1000M tab to android 4.4.4. or whatever other ROM you wish

I didn't want android 5 or up but the most stable Custom rom on my tab which only had the 2.3.3 update on it.
The problem with all the custom ROMs was they wouldn't work on the P1000M sim card model as only made for a P1000 .
There were a few threads about converting my current model to a P1000 but somewhat confusing about exactly what to do and where to get the downloads needed .After two days of playing around I found the guide and links in this thread as the most helpful they worked :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1881981

Once you install the GB Stock safe 5 tar file as per PDF instructions(which you need to read a few times ) use the JPZ Modem folder as per instructions on PDF –this is an Italian modem bin file but it will convert the P1000M to a P1000 which then allows you to complete the rest of the installs with the overcome wipe files and at the end of all the installs ,put your chosen recovery rom on tablet internal memory and flash using whatever custom Rom for a P1000 you wish (as there isn’t any links or availability for a P1000M except for gingerbread).Its a long process to get to using the custom rom but it works and seems to be the only way to go. I used omni nightly4.4.4 plus the gapps files and and updated SU zipfile.

Unfortunately once the omni ROMwas installed I kept getting the android process media has stopped message constantly so used the following to fix that issue :
Go to your app settings page (Settings > Applications > Manage Applications) and open Media Storage. Hit clear data.
If you have a custom recovery installed (most custom ROMs and kernels do have it), boot into it and fix permissions. In Clockworkmod Recovery, you can find it under “Advanced”. TWRP recover also has a similar option. Being a Linux-based OS, permissions are of paramount importance to smooth functioning of Android components.
In Manage Applications, open Google Services Framework. Clear data.
Open Google Play Store. Hit clear data. Note that this will clear all play store data, including your Google sign in. You will have to login with your Google / GMail account again the next time you open Play Store.
Open Download Manager, and clear its data too.
Backup your data and format SD card. Make sure to backup all data on your SD card, including media, apps and other files, before formatting it. Use FAT32 formatting, which is preferred for Android. This is because android.process.media is related to camera, gallery and other multimedia components, and SD card errors may cause this force close error.
Try a different SD card. Many SD cards, particularly those of class 6, 8 and 10, have been reported to not work reliably with Android devices. Class 4 seems to be the safest option .
Now running 4.4.4 on my tab P1000. thank goodness.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here, a very easy to follow going back to Gingerbread stock, follow carefully:

You can download any official firmware at http://fus.nanzen.se/

1a. Download Fus Check Downloader 2.1 from the above site. Using the Fus Check downloader, download a Firmware for your region. It will automatically decode the .enc2 file to.zip file
    (For your case choose GT-P1000M)
    1b. Download Odin3-v1.85

2. Extract the .zip file generated from decoding file to a folder and you will get
    tar.md 5 file.

3. Start Odin - put the .md5 to PDA
    3a. If your last firmware was gingerbread, leave everything else as is (No .pit file, leave repartition unchecked).
    3b. If your last firmware was NOT gingerbread (get pitfile, and check the repartition) Note -- open up the.md5 package to check if there is a pitfile included,
    as well as dbdata included. If they are included, you don't need to find pit file again, you can use it for your flash.

4. Go to download mode on the G-tab, connect it to your computer,
    and click start on Odin. It takes about 6 to 7 minutes to do the flashing.
    Good to know this! thanks.

I guess @ThiesWindu can try this way too, provided ODIN can see the tab.