First to break it

Search This thread

herman3101

May 16, 2005
Milton Keynes
www.lickmynuts.co.uk
Got my G2 on Wednesday and managed to throw it on concrete on Saturday. Scratched the crap out of the screen and case, thought this can't get any worse and then the screen cracked when I touched it. The screen still works but the outer casing is messed up. Sent it off to T-Mobile so hopefully it won't cost too much to fix.

I am pretty p*ssed off at how easily this phone broke. I have subjected my Vario III to some fairly serious abuse over the last 18 months and it still works fine. This phone on the other hand is wrecked after one measly drop.

Cynabal

Aug 3, 2009
Wales
Got my G2 on Wednesday and managed to throw it on concrete on Saturday. Scratched the crap out of the screen and case, thought this can't get any worse and then the screen cracked when I touched it. The screen still works but the outer casing is messed up. Sent it off to T-Mobile so hopefully it won't cost too much to fix.

I am pretty p*ssed off at how easily this phone broke. I have subjected my Vario III to some fairly serious abuse over the last 18 months and it still works fine. This phone on the other hand is wrecked after one measly drop.

Ouch man that sucks, to be fair tho there not really designed to take that kind of abuse, also the Vario III is a brick compared to the hero lol, you could probabyl drive a car over it.

i gess its the price we pay for lighter thinner more streamlined phones.

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I'll have to be careful then :( I threw my magic across the road. - It skidded across before I could stop it. It ended up with a few small circular cracks where I could see that the material under the plastic coating is deffo metal. Not a mark on the screen, because the curves at the top and bottom of the magic protected it.

Reckon its worth condsidering a magic handset when the price comes down a bit. Lots of folks slagged it off for looking plasticky but its a tank of a handset underneath.

I'm passing mine on to my brutish boyfriend, cos I know it can take some knocks. Then again maybe it just fell right? and yours just fell exactly
wrong. Certainly wouldnt be dropping it again to check if it is robust LOL

But you have my every sympathy - I'd be gutted :(

Richdog

Jul 31, 2009
YOu threw it on concrete, what do you expect? Simple physics, concrete is harder than the material the Hero is made from, so when the two meet with force the Hero will lose, no matter how hard the plastic its made from. It's not diamond coated.

herman3101

May 16, 2005
Milton Keynes
www.lickmynuts.co.uk
It was very tempting to take out the insurance but I was already covered on my home insurance so I thought I'd rather take a bigger excess hit than go along the fraud route.

RichDog, I'm afraid collisions between complex objects are never simple physics. Concrete is hard but the phone will have many different properties such as the elasticity of the plastic casing and maleability of the metal casing. Both of these act as shock obsorbers to disipate the energy of the impact, hence why almost all mobiles would have survived wih minor scratches. Mobile phone designers should incorporate a certain amount of impact tolerance into their products as almost all will be dropped at some point in their expected life. Mine only dropped from a height of three feet, a fall which almost all mobiles will have survived with minor scratches.

Last edited:

R3PUBL1K

Jun 7, 2007
ɒzəl.twɪzəl
I remember dashing my Trinity across the Office some time ago after finishing a phone call to my provider about something, (never down anything like that before in frustration) what a very robust phone indeed :eek:

xdaman85

Apr 14, 2007
London
My HTC Diamond was submerged in some puddle outside while it was raining, didn't realise until I couldn't find the phone in my pocket, and even then it was still working.

Your just a bit unlucky.

ghoonk

Dec 3, 2008
Dubai, UAE
YOu threw it on concrete, what do you expect? Simple physics, concrete is harder than the material the Hero is made from, so when the two meet with force the Hero will lose, no matter how hard the plastic its made from. It's not diamond coated.

My thoughts exactly. Also note that capacitative touch screens are made of glass, not plastic, so they are not as crack-resistant as resistive touch screens, which only have a vulnerable glass layer UNDER the plastic later.

So it's really not fair to criticize the durability of the device when you're the one who was careless. Remind me to try that line at the chinaware shop next time I'm in it -- drop a couple of expensive dinnerware, then blame the shop and manufacturer for making plates that are not as tough as the plastic ones I have at home! :p :D

DaanJordaan

Jul 13, 2008
I can't wait till I can throw my diamond of a roof when I get the Hero:D
The normal speaker has broke, but the loudspeaker still works I mean What the F is that:p

Last edited:

herman3101

May 16, 2005
Milton Keynes
www.lickmynuts.co.uk
I'm not trying to say it wasn't my fault, all I was saying is that it unreasonable to expect a phone not to have some form of impact in it's life. Maybe I was unlucky and it landed badly but if they are truly this fragile then I can guarantee that there are going to be a heck of a lot of disappointed people with broken Hero's.

herman3101

May 16, 2005
Milton Keynes
www.lickmynuts.co.uk
Just an update in case this happens to anyone else. It cost £96 to get it fixed through T-Mobile. Took over a week and a half before I got the quote but once agreed the phone was back at the store within a few days. The £96 was for the replacement glass window and casing.