Not impressed!

Search This thread

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
Had a play with one today side by side with the 10.1 version and wasn't impressed. For starters the pentile display is even more noticeable and distracting. Secondly they both have the same number of icons/rows on screen which wastes screen space imo. Why not make use of the extra screen space and add more icons per page. Makes things look really chunky. I spose it's good for people with dodgy eyesight. Will give it a miss for the time being.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Agree on the launcher, I changed mine almost immediately after purchase. The whole point of buying the larger tablet is to leverage the additional screen space so having an interface that is simply a scaled up one is unacceptable.

Other than that though I'm generally satisfied with the tablet. I have no complaints about the screen. It would be nice if the price was more affordable but going from 10.1 to this definitely has its advantages, especially the keyboard in landscape mode.

woowdy

Jul 28, 2012
Springfield Mo
Had a play with one today side by side with the 10.1 version and wasn't impressed. For starters the pentile display is even more noticeable and distracting. Secondly they both have the same number of icons/rows on screen which wastes screen space imo. Why not make use of the extra screen space and add more icons per page. Makes things look really chunky. I spose it's good for people with dodgy eyesight. Will give it a miss for the time being.

What launcher did you switch to?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht

but for content it isn't a issue. For pdf files, papers, websites etc the bigger display is absolutely preferable IMHO. Also note taking and drawing is much more natural on a 12.2 display.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I didn't. I was playing about with it in a shop. I don't tend to like changing launchers as I'm used to touchwiz on my Note 2.

Other than losing magazine UI pages changing launcher has no other signifiicant effect on Touchwiz itself though, the same widgets are available to you short of Magazine UI. What you gain from using a better launcher though . . . can be golden. Full control over margins on the edges of home screens, full control over the number of rows, columns and number of icons in the bottom dock, full ability to resize any widget, gesture support to add quick shortcuts to applications using gestures . . . to name a few.

Short of what is on home screens launcher changes don't impact other elements of touchwiz. You may not be able to duplicate home screens exactly but you can get really close. Of course the purpose the whole point of changing launchers is freedom to customize so why would you want to make it look exactly the same?

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
Other than losing magazine UI pages changing launcher has no other signifiicant effect on Touchwiz itself though, the same widgets are available to you short of Magazine UI. What you gain from using a better launcher though . . . can be golden. Full control over margins on the edges of home screens, full control over the number of rows, columns and number of icons in the bottom dock, full ability to resize any widget, gesture support to add quick shortcuts to applications using gestures . . . to name a few.

Short of what is on home screens launcher changes don't impact other elements of touchwiz. You may not be able to duplicate home screens exactly but you can get really close. Of course the purpose the whole point of changing launchers is freedom to customize so why would you want to make it look exactly the same?

Thats good to know.

Still a shame they used a pentile screen again, as I can really notice the 'fuzzyness/grainyness', even more so because the screen is larger. I can notice it on the 10.1 inch version, but it's not as annoying.

Also it's £250 dearer in the UK for an extra 2.5 inches which is a rip off imo.

Reactions: dinotoad

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Thats good to know.

Still a shame they used a pentile screen again, as I can really notice the 'fuzzyness/grainyness', even more so because the screen is larger. I can notice it on the 10.1 inch version, but it's not as annoying.

Your one of very very few people that notice it on either display. At normal viewing distance it should be 100 percent unnoticeable on the 10.1 and probably the 12.2. You either have crazy good eyesight or inspect these things looking to complain about something. I think the screen is nothing short of orgasmic.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

flipper2006

Jan 22, 2009
Hollywood, FL
Agree on the launcher, I changed mine almost immediately after purchase. The whole point of buying the larger tablet is to leverage the additional screen space so having an interface that is simply a scaled up one is unacceptable.

Other than that though I'm generally satisfied with the tablet. I have no complaints about the screen. It would be nice if the price was more affordable but going from 10.1 to this definitely has its advantages, especially the keyboard in landscape mode.

When I got mine last week I used it the whole night, but then I noticed for quick stuff (getting information from evernote) I would grab the note 10.1 first.. I'm also waiting for my case to arrive so i might be a drop more tentative ? The office that comes it is pretty cool i will say (once you finish downloading).

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
Your one of very very few people that notice it on either display. At normal viewing distance it should be 100 percent unnoticeable on the 10.1 and probably the 12.2. You either have crazy good eyesight or inspect these things looking to complain about something. I think the screen is nothing short of orgasmic.

I do have good eyesight, but wouldn't say its 'crazy good'. I have always noticed pentile displays and do not like them. I also do not 'inspect these things looking for things to complain about'. It's just just obvious to me.

Take a look at a MacBook Pro retina 13inch which is slightly larger than the note 12.2 and you will see the difference. Btw, I do not own a MacBook and my primary phone is a note 2. My iPad retina looks sharper than the 10.1 and 12.2 and that has a lower screen resolution.

This is one of the main things that has put me off purchasing one of these tablets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
I do have good eyesight, but wouldn't say its 'crazy good'. I have always noticed pentile displays and do not like them. I also do not 'inspect these things looking for things to complain about'. It's just just obvious to me.

Take a look at a MacBook Pro retina 13inch which is slightly larger than the note 12.2 and you will see the difference. Btw, I do not own a MacBook and my primary phone is a note 2. My iPad retina looks sharper than the 10.1 and 12.2 and that has a lower screen resolution.

This is one of the main things that has put me off purchasing one of these tablets!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I cant say you dont notice a difference I can say that I think that your perception that it is pentile is affecting what you percieve the screen to look like. Iv never noticed pentile on my note 2 note 2014 or the 12.2 and comparing all side by side I prefer all to the ipad air. (Amoled note 2 kicks butt) without my face pressed to the glass the notes all look spectacular compared to anything out there. And pentile mimics the way our eyes see much better than rgb stripes. I believe you see an issue. Im sorry it bothers you, truly. Its just unfair to blame the technology when so few other people, professional reviewers, and display scientists (display mate) say pentile is doing awesome for us. Wish you could get the 12.2. Its a tablet god.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thats good to know.

Thats good to know.