[Q] Rooting Help (firewater, adb, and Rum runner)

Search This thread

Pharva

Feb 11, 2014
I'm trying to root my phone to install CM 10.2. I've been searching for a few hours and am getting more and more frustrated. I've read that Firewater is the easiest way to unlock the bootloader on my phone. I've downloaded Firewater, but I don't know what to do with it. Its just a file called "Firewater" with no extension. I don't know how to run it.

I've also tried RumRunner, and have had no success.

I'm not sure what ADB and Fastboot are, but I think I have some ADB stuff installed on my comp [ C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot ] and I have that path in my Environment Variables>path directory. I don't know what to do with it.

Please help me get started. Step by step instructions would be great. I saw a thread that isn't very old where someone was having root trouble w/ KitKat but they were able to run Firewater. I need help getting that started at least. Thank you.

Edit: Fastboot is Off
USB Debugging Enabled
HTC Sync (can't find it anywhere on my comp, or in the programs list ((control panel)) so I assume its not installed)
Drivers are installed on my comp.

Last edited:

Pharva

Feb 11, 2014
I've downloaded an ADB toolkit, and have it pathed. I opened the command prompt and ran "adb devices" to check. My phone showed up with no problem.

I then moved firewater to the current directory cmd was using c:\Users\MYNAME.

adb reboot
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell

after this it displays:

127:shell@m7wlv:/ $

I entered "su"

/system/bin/sh: su: not found

Could anyone explain what I'm doing exactly by following these directions, and explain what I can do next to correct the problem?

Edit: su means Super User, correct? I've tried installing SuperSU, but It says that there is no SU binary installed. I haven't found out how to install the binary.

Last edited:

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
I've downloaded an ADB toolkit, and have it pathed. I opened the command prompt and ran "adb devices" to check. My phone showed up with no problem.

I then moved firewater to the current directory cmd was using c:\Users\MYNAME.

adb reboot
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
adb shell

after this it displays:

127:shell@m7wlv:/ $

I entered "su"

/system/bin/sh: su: not found

Could anyone explain what I'm doing exactly by following these directions, and explain what I can do next to correct the problem?

Edit: su means Super User, correct? I've tried installing SuperSU, but It says that there is no SU binary installed. I haven't found out how to install the binary.

you need temp root... goto http://firewater-soff.com/ everything is right there. If you have kitkat from the OTA the other day, i dont believe it works on kitkat yet.

Pharva

Feb 11, 2014
Thanks. I've read that temproot doesn't work on KitKat either. For now, it would seem that my only option is to wait, right?

nty123

Feb 9, 2014
xdaforums.com
Thanks. I've read that temproot doesn't work on KitKat either. For now, it would seem that my only option is to wait, right?

Yes you are correct temp root method does not work for the newest OTA update and unfortunately there is no method for the CDMA version of the htc one so hopefully we will see a new method soon!

payrovi2

Jun 14, 2012
S-Off not working

Yes you are correct temp root method does not work for the newest OTA update and unfortunately there is no method for the CDMA version of the htc one so hopefully we will see a new method soon!

I am having this problem also. I am trying to s-off with firewater and can't get past the SU also...it tells me SU can't be found.

Debugging enabled
Developer Mode enabled
Network band set to LTE/CDMA
No passcode or other security lock

My Fastboot and ADB are working fine. I am able to run the Temproot instructions, but it stops at SU. WHY?

nty123

Feb 9, 2014
xdaforums.com
I am having this problem also. I am trying to s-off with firewater and can't get past the SU also...it tells me SU can't be found.

Debugging enabled
Developer Mode enabled
Network band set to LTE/CDMA
No passcode or other security lock

My Fastboot and ADB are working fine. I am able to run the Temproot instructions, but it stops at SU. WHY?
just what the above post's stated, you need temp-root to, along with firewater. and if you are on the newest ota (kitkat 4.4.2) then you have no other choice but to wait. that mean's no downgrading either.

payrovi2

Jun 14, 2012
just what the above post's stated, you need temp-root to, along with firewater. and if you are on the newest ota (kitkat 4.4.2) then you have no other choice but to wait. that mean's no downgrading either.

Thanks. Yes, I was able to temproot and firewater and get s-off.

I'm trying to load Cyanogenmod for my HTC One Verizon ( cm-10.2.0-RC1-m7vzw.zip ) through clockworkmod recovery 6.0.4.7

When I wiped the data/factory reset...it seemed to get stuck for >20minutes. I powered down and up...and it looked like some partial factory reset had happened.
I went ahead with the cyanogenmod zip update, through cwm recovery, and it seems to be stuck at Installing Update. Nothing is happening or moving.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the developer help.

nty123

Feb 9, 2014
xdaforums.com
Thanks. Yes, I was able to temproot and firewater and get s-off.

I'm trying to load Cyanogenmod for my HTC One Verizon ( cm-10.2.0-RC1-m7vzw.zip ) through clockworkmod recovery 6.0.4.7

When I wiped the data/factory reset...it seemed to get stuck for >20minutes. I powered down and up...and it looked like some partial factory reset had happened.
I went ahead with the cyanogenmod zip update, through cwm recovery, and it seems to be stuck at Installing Update. Nothing is happening or moving.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the developer help.
can you power off device and boot into recovery? (not sure what the problem is yet but you could try using a different recovery, twrp instead of cwm. before you try out twrp (if you do) make sure you have the latest version of cwm installed

Last edited:

payrovi2

Jun 14, 2012
can you power off device and boot into recovery? (not sure what the problem is yet but you could try using a different recovery, twrp instead of cwm. before you try out twrp (if you do) make sure you have the latest version of cwm installed

I can boot into recovery, but can't boot the phone up.

nty123

Feb 9, 2014
xdaforums.com
I can boot into recovery, but can't boot the phone up.

ok, what i would try is backup to the rom you have before you tried installing CM( only if you made a backup). if you didn't then i would try clearing all data and that rom and try installing a different one, maybe the one you have has a bug and is not working properly.

payrovi2

Jun 14, 2012
ok, what i would try is backup to the rom you have before you tried installing CM( only if you made a backup). if you didn't then i would try clearing all data and that rom and try installing a different one, maybe the one you have has a bug and is not working properly.

It kept getting stuck at "installing update" no matter whether it was a previous rom or the Cyanogenmod rom. I tried it numerous times...and then finally once it said "...update complete"

I'm rebooting and loading cyanogenmod now...hope that it moves past this CM boot screen.

payrovi2

Jun 14, 2012
It kept getting stuck at "installing update" no matter whether it was a previous rom or the Cyanogenmod rom. I tried it numerous times...and then finally once it said "...update complete"

I'm rebooting and loading cyanogenmod now...hope that it moves past this CM boot screen.

Nope. still stuck at this boot loop.

Any ideas?

aer0zer0

Recognized Contributor
Nope. still stuck at this boot loop.

Any ideas?

I would do a decrypted RUU at this point, it will at least get you back on a sense rom (as long as you download the decrypted one, it wont break your SOFF and bootloader unlock). then from there i would reinstall PHILZ or TWRP, then make sure the MD5 is right on the rom you want to install