[Q] Market/Play apps

Search This thread

macevanscb

Feb 14, 2011
It seems that since Google updated Market to Google Play, I can't access or install a bunch of apps that I want.

The two that bother me right now are 'Lookout Mobile Security' and 'Firefox for Android'. If I search Google Play, neither show up in search results. If I use the browser and go directly to either Firefox's or Lookout's site to install, I get redirected to Google Play and the Install button in both cases is grayed out and nothing happens.

And I'm very unhappy that I can no longer download the apks using my computer and side load/install it.

????????????

I'm on a standard Nook Color, with the newest stable release running in EMMC:
Android version: 2.3.7
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9
Mod version: CyanogenMod 7.1.0-encore
Build No: GWK74

Everything else works fine and I have no other problems or complaints.
Can someone give me some things to try and get this working???

apache64guy

Apr 27, 2012
amazon app store

It seems that since Google updated Market to Google Play, I can't access or install a bunch of apps that I want.

The two that bother me right now are 'Lookout Mobile Security' and 'Firefox for Android'. If I search Google Play, neither show up in search results. If I use the browser and go directly to either Firefox's or Lookout's site to install, I get redirected to Google Play and the Install button in both cases is grayed out and nothing happens.

And I'm very unhappy that I can no longer download the apks using my computer and side load/install it.

????????????

Thats weird, I'm having no problems with google play. I can't get the Amazon app store. Have you been able to download that?

aarons510

Mar 28, 2012

????????????

You can download Firefox_10_0_multi.apk from several sites. The md5 of all downloads I tried is 3c490ee533fae7166fa589aa88ba59f1. I have not had, or found any reference to, any problems with it. I just downloaded it again from http://fiberupload.com/v1r9xzkzpbr8.

I have also downloaded and am now using Firefox v10.0.1.apk. Its md5 is 59a29173879c040ca781299f7b193197. I don't have any more info about it at hand and don't have time now to look it up. Should be easy to find, though!

BTW, I don't, as a matter of principle, register my devices with Google, nor with Barnes and Noble or Amazon. I believe in anonymity, where possible, vis-a-vis the government and corporations that cooperate with it.

derekr44

Mar 13, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
I'm having issues as well.

I downloaded Nook Odds and Ends and ran the "Fix Netflix" and "LCD Density Changer" to try it out. I reverted the settings back and verified that the build.prop settings were correct.

Ever since then, when I go into the Play store, I can't see certain apps... like Amazon Store, Rdio, etc. and the list will never display more than 24.

[EDIT - SOLUTION]

So I've learned a lesson I'd like to share with anyone who might need it...

After restoring build.prop from a backup file, do the following IN ORDER:
1. Open Settings > Applications > Manage
2. Open Google Play Store in Downloaded tab
3. Tap on Clear Data
4. Tap on Clear Cache
5. Reboot

I figured out that the Play Store had me down as an HTC NookColor, and wouldn't revert back to BN NookColor until everything was cleared.

Last edited:

gollumses

Mar 11, 2011
Los Angeles
www.1oro1.com
Using Rack's Mirage CM7/CM9 Dual Boot from SDHC and when I search Play, I get about a dozen different Firefox Apps (including Firefox itself).

I would say that the clearing cache and data would work if you couldn't access Play at all or couldn't download specific apps, but just not being able to see certain apps is unusual.

Mike

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
I think that this is the same problem that I just posted.

I think that it is just Google's interpretation of "BN NookColor", because the same apps are unavailable if I go to the Market/Play on a laptop - it reports "unavailable for your device BN NookColor" when the developer says that app is available for all Android versions from 1.6 to 4.0

So, it seems to me that Google must be saying "your BN NookColor needs to use the special BN Market".