[Q] Uninstalled stock messaging app - how to restore SMS functionality?

Search This thread

nilshg

Mar 26, 2013
I know there are quite a few similar threads, but since they are all fairly device specific, I though I'd try my luck with a new one.

I have a rooted LG Optimus L1 ii, running the stock 4.1 ROM that came with it, from which I uninstalled the stock messaging app after installing Hangouts. As you might have guessed I was unaware that the stock messaging app contains the basic messaging capabilities and all other apps rely on this, so now I'm trying to somehow regain the ability to send and receive SMS.

I have tried installing Handcent, GoSMS, and an app called "Android 4.1 JB Messaging SMS", which claims to be the stock messaging app for JellyBean, all of it to no avail.

Therefore my question is, on a very fundamental level, what are the parts of the Android OS that are required for SMS and that I evidently destroyed? Can I get "generic" stock versions of the necessary apks or do they have to be specific to my phone model?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I know there are quite a few similar threads, but since they are all fairly device specific, I though I'd try my luck with a new one.

I have a rooted LG Optimus L1 ii, running the stock 4.1 ROM that came with it, from which I uninstalled the stock messaging app after installing Hangouts. As you might have guessed I was unaware that the stock messaging app contains the basic messaging capabilities and all other apps rely on this, so now I'm trying to somehow regain the ability to send and receive SMS.

I have tried installing Handcent, GoSMS, and an app called "Android 4.1 JB Messaging SMS", which claims to be the stock messaging app for JellyBean, all of it to no avail.

Therefore my question is, on a very fundamental level, what are the parts of the Android OS that are required for SMS and that I evidently destroyed? Can I get "generic" stock versions of the necessary apks or do they have to be specific to my phone model?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Why dont u just download the stock firmware and copy the messaging apk into sys/app? it should just work fine.

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Why dont u just download the stock firmware and copy the messaging apk into sys/app? it should just work fine.

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

1) It's not easy to decrypt stock LG firmware for that. Would be easier to download a stock based rom and grab it from there.

2) It's not that simple, you have to set permissions for system apps as well.

To OP: Go SMS should work fine. You just need to go into the advance settings and make sure it's checked off to be your standalone messaging system and there is an option to add your own MMS settings, which should be all you need.

Many other texting apps have custom settings for MMS options too. Hello SMS, Go SMS, ChompSMS, Handcent, Textra, Slide Messaging, and Evolve SMS all do if I remember right.

Edit: Sorry, can't read. I thought you were having MMS issues, not SMS. But yea, that's odd. You don't normally need the stock Messaging app anymore to send SMS.

You might have to reinstall your entire OS. Gotta make sure you know what system version you are on as they are slight differences between the carriers and regions the phone was sold from.

Last edited:
Reactions: nilshg

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
totall agree with vardhan, and btw why u unistalled messaging. I mean you should know what are u doing before editing system apps..

Pray tell how you would download the firmware and pull the messaging app from it? It helps to know what that entails before you suggest it. And the OP mentioned he did not delete it till after he installed Hangouts, which is not TOTALLY crazy. Hindsight 20/20, freezing it would have been better, but we're all learning. I typically uninstall the stock messaging app on any phone that I've used and have never had an issue like this.

Last edited:

prathiks9

Sep 11, 2014
Same problem Need help

Pray tell how you would download the firmware and pull the messaging app from it? It helps to know what that entails before you suggest it. And the OP mentioned he did not delete it till after he installed Hangouts, which is not TOTALLY crazy. Hindsight 20/20, freezing it would have been better, but we're all learning. I typically uninstall the stock messaging app on any phone that I've used and have never had an issue like this.

Hey there,I'm currently having the same problem and all of the 3rd party apps are non responsive.Just wanted to know if there is any fix and how'd you do it ? Currently i own a Moto-E xt1022. I had done this unsinstall thing in my previous phone(samsung galaxy) and hand't faced any problem.
DIdn't see this coming though.:crying:
Please help
Thank you,

nilshg

Mar 26, 2013
Hey there,I'm currently having the same problem and all of the 3rd party apps are non responsive.Just wanted to know if there is any fix and how'd you do it ? Currently i own a Moto-E xt1022. I had done this unsinstall thing in my previous phone(samsung galaxy) and hand't faced any problem.
Please help
Thank you,

I ended up going with the first suggestion in this thread and re-installed the original firmware. Slightly annoying, but there was no way around it with other apps and certainly trying to extract just the messaging app out of the stock ROM is more complicated and uncertain than this.

Reactions: prathiks9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

1) It's not easy to decrypt stock LG firmware for that. Would be easier to download a stock based rom and grab it from there.

2) It's not that simple, you have to set permissions for system apps as well.

To OP: Go SMS should work fine. You just need to go into the advance settings and make sure it's checked off to be your standalone messaging system and there is an option to add your own MMS settings, which should be all you need.

Many other texting apps have custom settings for MMS options too. Hello SMS, Go SMS, ChompSMS, Handcent, Textra, Slide Messaging, and Evolve SMS all do if I remember right.

Edit: Sorry, can't read. I thought you were having MMS issues, not SMS. But yea, that's odd. You don't normally need the stock Messaging app anymore to send SMS.

You might have to reinstall your entire OS. Gotta make sure you know what system version you are on as they are slight differences between the carriers and regions the phone was sold from.
    Please help
    Thank you,

I ended up going with the first suggestion in this thread and re-installed the original firmware. Slightly annoying, but there was no way around it with other apps and certainly trying to extract just the messaging app out of the stock ROM is more complicated and uncertain than this.