[Q] Battery drain issue

Search This thread

nYdGeo

Jun 16, 2010
New Orleans
I can't believe that I'm posting a battery drain issue, but I'm new to Samsung and for the first time in years, I'm not rooted.

I've had my Note 3 for about 2-months. As a norm, I have no issue with the battery life that I get with this phone, being able to use it regularly throughout my long day, rarely ever needing to change it except overnight. However, on three occasions, a system app has appearantly hung up and drained the battery at an alarming rate, and at work around 1:00 or 2:00 PM, I'm getting a 15% battery warning instead of the usual 75% - 85% remaining.

Today it was the Gallery app. It was only used once late this morning when I made a screenshot, but discarded it. The previous time it was Maps, which I had not manually used, and the first time is was Google Search. All three different, the timing seemingly completely at random. I can determine no pattern to it..

Curious if anyone has observed similar behavior, and/or has any useful information on the topic that they might share.

Thank you for your time.

phyba

Oct 26, 2008
I can't believe that I'm posting a battery drain issue, but I'm new to Samsung and for the first time in years, I'm not rooted.

I've had my Note 3 for about 2-months. As a norm, I have no issue with the battery life that I get with this phone, being able to use it regularly throughout my long day, rarely ever needing to change it except overnight. However, on three occasions, a system app has appearantly hung up and drained the battery at an alarming rate, and at work around 1:00 or 2:00 PM, I'm getting a 15% battery warning instead of the usual 75% - 85% remaining.

Today it was the Gallery app. It was only used once late this morning when I made a screenshot, but discarded it. The previous time it was Maps, which I had not manually used, and the first time is was Google Search. All three different, the timing seemingly completely at random. I can determine no pattern to it..

Curious if anyone has observed similar behavior, and/or has any useful information on the topic that they might share.

Thank you for your time.

U have location services on?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

nYdGeo

Jun 16, 2010
New Orleans
check out better battery stats it will show you what is running amuck.

I may do that in an attempt to learn more detail about the issue, but the culprit is clear. Since first noticing the Gallery eating things up days ago, the attached image shows what has become the norm. Rebooting, closing the Gallery and clearing cache, etc., nothing changes this. The Gallery app has gone crazy. May try resetting the phone over the weekend and see if that clears up whatever has caused this.

Oh, just noticed "Tag Buddy" is enabled in the Gallery app. Killed it so I can see what effect that may have.

Attachments

• Gallery_battery_usage.jpg
    Gallery_battery_usage.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 83

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I may do that in an attempt to learn more detail about the issue, but the culprit is clear. Since first noticing the Gallery eating things up days ago, the attached image shows what has become the norm. Rebooting, closing the Gallery and clearing cache, etc., nothing changes this. The Gallery app has gone crazy. May try resetting the phone over the weekend and see if that clears up whatever has caused this.

Oh, just noticed "Tag Buddy" is enabled in the Gallery app. Killed it so I can see what effect that may have.

In addition to tag buddy, turn off Picasa in account settings for your linked Gmail address, and from gallery, see if Dropbox sync is on. If yes, kill it.

py7ajuhu.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403319527203.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403319527203.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 70

nYdGeo

Jun 16, 2010
New Orleans
In addition to tag buddy, turn off Picasa in account settings for your linked Gmail address, and from gallery, see if Dropbox sync is on. If yes, kill it.

py7ajuhu.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I actually have all of them disabled. Didn't have time over the last few weeks to do so, but if I cna find the time I may try wiping the phone this weekend.

nYdGeo

Jun 16, 2010
New Orleans
Well, yesterday I nuked the phone, factory reset. Went through the entire process to reset it up and guess what? The same frigging thing! I guess I'll nuke again today but no tlet any of the apps install. Just setup accounts, set my preferred configuration and see what happens. Then add apps back one at a time. Gonna take forever to get it back to where its useful on a dialy basis, but I cannot find any information anywhere regarding this issue. Wild to think of all the Note 3 users, I'm the only one experiencing this.

While I'm at it, my only other issue with this phone: anyone know of a setting somewhere to make the voice-to-text work well? I work for the federal government and speak clearly with decent annunciation, yet this device misunderstands worse than any device I've ever used. It gets things like not even close, and I'd love to find a way to make it work more accurately.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

nYdGeo

Jun 16, 2010
New Orleans
After reading a great number of posts all over the web, I resolved the issue. It was one of two things or both, or both and one caused the other. My micro SD card, taken from my old HTC Evo 4G LTE (Jewel),had been formatted using Ext4 which worked great, just as it had in my wife's identical phone. However, when I moved these cards to the new Note 3 phones, my phone seems to have had difficulty accessing some of the memory card. It cannot write to or delete from some locations. This may be why I found a folder of what appears to be pictures, but were somehow corrupted and could not be copied. There were scads of them so I've no idea how many images I've lost.

I copied everything that I could off onto my PC. Then I formatted the card from within the Note 3, probably crappy, old FAT, and finally copied what I needed back onto the card. The issue ceased immediately, so it was probably the Gallery app trying to identify/access those corrupted files, or something similar.

Live and learn, right?

Reactions: micmars

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After reading a great number of posts all over the web, I resolved the issue. It was one of two things or both, or both and one caused the other. My micro SD card, taken from my old HTC Evo 4G LTE (Jewel),had been formatted using Ext4 which worked great, just as it had in my wife's identical phone. However, when I moved these cards to the new Note 3 phones, my phone seems to have had difficulty accessing some of the memory card. It cannot write to or delete from some locations. This may be why I found a folder of what appears to be pictures, but were somehow corrupted and could not be copied. There were scads of them so I've no idea how many images I've lost.

I copied everything that I could off onto my PC. Then I formatted the card from within the Note 3, probably crappy, old FAT, and finally copied what I needed back onto the card. The issue ceased immediately, so it was probably the Gallery app trying to identify/access those corrupted files, or something similar.

Live and learn, right?