[Q] Alright.. Help me root my NC4 note 3..

Search This thread

clark707

May 14, 2011
I've got a Verizon Note 3 now with the NC4 ota on it already. I need root. Not want need. I use my hotspot religiously. Tried towel root. Busy box wont install because of superuser permissions. I uninstalled all of them etc.. Nothing.. Factory reset my phone. Towelroot'd again. Then busybox. same message. "there was a problem opening a shell with root access. This is either being caused by a superuser/supersu or by a device that is inproperly rooted. Try removing superuser permissions, uninstalling this app reinstalling this app then regranting permissions. Well After rooting a factory reseted nc4 with towel root busybox showed this. So then i proceded to supersu. Tries to install shows option to disable knox fails. Installed superuser and tried to update binary, failed and crashed superuser.

Ever phone i've had has been rooted. thunderbolt/s3/n2/s4.. the note 3 has became the b*tch of the family that doesnt want to listen. Please help. I feel these threads overpopulate the forums but i've tried multiple times. given up waited a few months and tried again. This being my fourth attempt owning the phone im to the point where i want to give up and get my old s4 back.. So please help me with any information you can give.

Thanks

edit: yeah signature is old.. havent been on in a while sorry.

RomsWell

Jul 10, 2011
Venice
I've got a Verizon Note 3 now with the NC4 ota on it already. I need root. Not want need. I use my hotspot religiously. Tried towel root. Busy box wont install because of superuser permissions. I uninstalled all of them etc.. Nothing.. Factory reset my phone. Towelroot'd again. Then busybox. same message. "there was a problem opening a shell with root access. This is either being caused by a superuser/supersu or by a device that is inproperly rooted. Try removing superuser permissions, uninstalling this app reinstalling this app then regranting permissions. Well After rooting a factory reseted nc4 with towel root busybox showed this. So then i proceded to supersu. Tries to install shows option to disable knox fails. Installed superuser and tried to update binary, failed and crashed superuser.

Ever phone i've had has been rooted. thunderbolt/s3/n2/s4.. the note 3 has became the b*tch of the family that doesnt want to listen. Please help. I feel these threads overpopulate the forums but i've tried multiple times. given up waited a few months and tried again. This being my fourth attempt owning the phone im to the point where i want to give up and get my old s4 back.. So please help me with any information you can give.

Thanks

edit: yeah signature is old.. havent been on in a while sorry.

Make sure usb debugging is enabled. then retry towel root

kinstre11

Jul 6, 2014
Hobe Sound
Enabled USB debugging. Uninstaller Chinese superuser crap. Install supersu from play store. Try to update. Failed knox.

Go back to towelroot. After rooting use a root checker to verify root. Don't worry about updating SU Binaries or disabling Knox, if you are planning to flash a custom rom this will all get taken care of as pretty much every rom has done this for you, you should still be able to grant permissions without updating. If the busybox app you are using doesn't work, try another one, the one I always use is created by a Steven something (can't remember last name).

If you are not going to flash a custom rom follow the instructions in the 3rd post found here.

clark707

May 14, 2011
Go back to towelroot. After rooting use a root checker to verify root. Don't worry about updating SU Binaries or disabling Knox, if you are planning to flash a custom rom this will all get taken care of as pretty much every rom has done this for you, you should still be able to grant permissions without updating. If the busybox app you are using doesn't work, try another one, the one I always use is created by a Steven something (can't remember last name).

If you are not going to flash a custom rom follow the instructions in the 3rd post found here.

alright. UNinstalled everything and reinstalled towel root. Ran towelroot no errors. downloaded root tester and no root access. The busybox I download is the first one that comes up by Stephen. Still gives me the same error.

Something is wrong with superuser. I UNinstalled them all and I've tried them all. Superuser by chains fails to download manifest. Busybox X says no root or bad superuser.idk what to freaking do its pissing me off

Last edited:

kinstre11

Jul 6, 2014
Hobe Sound
alright. UNinstalled everything and reinstalled towel root. Ran towelroot no errors. downloaded root tester and no root access. The busybox I download is the first one that comes up by Stephen. Still gives me the same error.

Just to make sure, you did install SuperSU prior to running root checker? Permissions are required to verify root.

If so, I would reflash the stock firmware via Odin and start over. The firmware file can be found here. After flashing through Odin boot into recovery and factory reset/wipe cache. Then try rooting again, make sure you have the latest towelroot.

clark707

May 14, 2011
Just to make sure, you did install SuperSU prior to running root checker? Permissions are required to verify root.

If so, I would reflash the stock firmware via Odin and start over. The firmware file can be found here. After flashing through Odin boot into recovery and factory reset/wipe cache. Then try rooting again, make sure you have the latest towelroot.
For an obvious answer I just did towelroot then root checker. Because none of the super users work.. and I'll have to do that when I get off work tonight. Would prefer a different route though.

clark707

May 14, 2011
uploadfromtaptalk1408975471785.jpguploadfromtaptalk1408975478471.jpg

kinstre11

Jul 6, 2014
Hobe Sound
For an obvious answer I just did towelroot then root checker. Because none of the super users work.. and I'll have to do that when I get off work tonight. Would prefer a different route though.

As I tried to say before, you don't need to update the binaries for SuperSU to do its job. Just install it, don't worry about opening it or trying to disable Knox. Something about NC4 OTA doesn't like rooting as Verizon continues to try to lockdown our phones as much as they can.
ATM, Towelroot is the best root method I know of as it is a one click method that works, I haven't seen anywhere on these forums that it has failed for our device short of users missing some important link in the chain. I haven't tried kingo or the chinese version of rooting since being on KitKat so I don't know if they work on the current firmware nor have I seen anyone talking about them since Towelroot was discovered for our device.

Steps to successful root, busybox, safestrap, custom rom are in the second post of this thread. My only addition to the steps would be to install a switch user app (i.e. SuperSU) in between Steps 1 & 2. You can switch out any 4.4 rom for the Stock rom provided by BeansTown106 as long as you make sure to flash the NC2 kernel in the appropriate step. The only exception would be if you are planning on using Jasmine Rom as hsbadr has recently rebuilt his 2 versions on the NC4 kernel, in which case you don't need to do anything special, simply flash via Safestrap following the instructions in his OP. (I apologize if you already understand all this, just trying to be thorough so we don't have to keep going back and forth).

clark707

May 14, 2011
These are the steps I took with a fresh factory reset. USB debugging. Towelroot install supersu install busy box run busybox get that error I showed above. Rage quit.

Interesting enough this busy box installer shows that my phone has root but fails to install busybox
6c95463e8990d0ab173b65d04bde0ff7.jpg

Last edited:

kinstre11

Jul 6, 2014
Hobe Sound
These are the steps I took with a fresh factory reset. USB debugging. Towelroot install supersu install busy box run busybox get that error I showed above. Rage quit.

Interesting enough this busy box installer shows that my phone has root but fails to install busybox

At this point I don't know what else to try other than reflashing the stock firmware via Odin and starting again.

Reactions: clark707

clark707

May 14, 2011
At this point I don't know what else to try other than reflashing the stock firmware via Odin and starting again.
Worked!!

Root [X]
Busybox [X]
Safestrap [X]

In the process of downloading jasmine's port from the s5 on my phone so i can set up a partition for it. Never really used safestrap so this is a new world for me. Any advice is much welcomed!

kinstre11

Jul 6, 2014
Hobe Sound
Worked!!

Root [X]
Busybox [X]
Safestrap [X]

In the process of downloading jasmine's port from the s5 on my phone so i can set up a partition for it. Never really used safestrap so this is a new world for me. Any advice is much welcomed!

Only use the stock slot, there are problems with battery drain and other things on rom slots.

clark707

May 14, 2011
Only use the stock slot, there are problems with battery drain and other things on rom slots.
Wait wouldn't using the stock slot be dangerous? And I'm coming across another problem. Every rom in the forums I try does not boot up accept for jasmine rom 2.3 I'd like to use a different rom but it's not liking me lol. But it's safe to flash a rom in the stock slot? If so I'll have jasmine in slot one as a backup. Battery drain is outrageous. Even with zero lemons 10,000 nah battery it blows through it.

Jun 4, 2014
Wait wouldn't using the stock slot be dangerous? And I'm coming across another problem. Every rom in the forums I try does not boot up accept for jasmine rom 2.3 I'd like to use a different rom but it's not liking me lol. But it's safe to flash a rom in the stock slot? If so I'll have jasmine in slot one as a backup. Battery drain is outrageous. Even with zero lemons 10,000 nah battery it blows through it.

Using the stock slot isn't really dangerous... You can always boot into download mode and reflash the stock rom with Odin. You will need the unified Kitkat kernel with most roms. And each rom should have instructions including flashing it at some point.

clark707

May 14, 2011
Using the stock slot isn't really dangerous... You can always boot into download mode and reflash the stock rom with Odin. You will need the unified Kitkat kernel with most roms. And each rom should have instructions including flashing it at some point.
I kinda understand, what if I flash jasmine 2.3 s5 port for stock

Jun 4, 2014

I would recommend using 2.4.1 instead, it is a more recently updated version of the S5 port. I believe you can flash the unified kernel in Odin before you install the rom (as long as you are already running Kitkat, otherwise wait until you have a Kitkat rom installed). As for 2.3, I don't remember if it needed the unified kernel, but it shouldn't hurt anything to use it anyways on Jasmine roms. If you do go with 2.3 I would look into the patches (2.3.1 - 2.3.4 i think) for stability/bug fixes, although I am not sure if they all need to be flashed or just the last one as I never used 2.3 (I am happily using 1.9 lol).

Reactions: clark707

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
Does anyone have the current link for downloading TR v3? I can't seem to find it, and I am debating picking up a note 3 in place of my S5...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I would recommend using 2.4.1 instead, it is a more recently updated version of the S5 port. I believe you can flash the unified kernel in Odin before you install the rom (as long as you are already running Kitkat, otherwise wait until you have a Kitkat rom installed). As for 2.3, I don't remember if it needed the unified kernel, but it shouldn't hurt anything to use it anyways on Jasmine roms. If you do go with 2.3 I would look into the patches (2.3.1 - 2.3.4 i think) for stability/bug fixes, although I am not sure if they all need to be flashed or just the last one as I never used 2.3 (I am happily using 1.9 lol).